OT: saving space

rlindzen
I just found something at Microcenter that has saved a lot of space
at my operating position:  a mini keyboard that does not have a
separate keypad. Here is the URL.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0296731

The keyboard is about 11 inches wide rather than the usual 20 inches;
the keys are full-sized, the action is comfortable, and the price is $7.99.

73,

Dick
KA1SA

Re: OT: saving space

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
That's an amazing price, but if once you get it it turns out not to be
of the quality you need, you might like the Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II:

http://www.pfusystems.com/hhkeyboard/hhkeyboard.html

It doesn't have a caps lock key, and the control key is in the "MIT
Keyboard" location.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

> I just found something at Microcenter that has saved a lot of space
> at my operating position:  a mini keyboard that does not have a
> separate keypad. Here is the URL.
>
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0296731
>
> The keyboard is about 11 inches wide rather than the usual 20 inches;
> the keys are full-sized, the action is comfortable, and the price is $7.99.
>
> 73,
>
> Dick
> KA1SA
>
> ______

Re: OT: saving space

rlindzen
So far the quality seems fine.

Dick
KA1SA

At 08:35 PM 11/8/2009, Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU wrote:

>That's an amazing price, but if once you get it it turns out not to
>be of the quality you need, you might like the Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II:
>
>http://www.pfusystems.com/hhkeyboard/hhkeyboard.html
>
>It doesn't have a caps lock key, and the control key is in the "MIT
>Keyboard" location.
>
>Leigh/WA5ZNU
>>I just found something at Microcenter that has saved a lot of space
>>at my operating position:  a mini keyboard that does not have a
>>separate keypad. Here is the URL.
>>
>>http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0296731
>>
>>The keyboard is about 11 inches wide rather than the usual 20
>>inches; the keys are full-sized, the action is comfortable, and the
>>price is $7.99.
>>
>>73,
>>
>>Dick
>>KA1SA
>>
>>______

  Richard S. Lindzen
  Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric
Sciences

  Office: 54-1720, MIT
          Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
          1 (617) 253-2432 (voice)
          1 (617) 253-6208 (fax)

  Temporary Home: 100 Memorial Drive
                             Apt. 2-2a
                           Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
                           1 (617) 945-5784 (voice)

Re: OT: saving space

Merv Schweigert
Have one here I bought to save space,  it generates enough
RFI that its unusable on many bands,  If you have a high
noise level you may not hear it,  but mine puts out a constant
noise above my noise level.   Beads etc do not help, so its in
the junk box.
Merv KH7C

> So far the quality seems fine.
>
> Dick
> KA1SA
>
> At 08:35 PM 11/8/2009, Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
>
>> That's an amazing price, but if once you get it it turns out not to
>> be of the quality you need, you might like the Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II:
>>
>> http://www.pfusystems.com/hhkeyboard/hhkeyboard.html
>>
>> It doesn't have a caps lock key, and the control key is in the "MIT
>> Keyboard" location.
>>
>> Leigh/WA5ZNU
>>
>>> I just found something at Microcenter that has saved a lot of space
>>> at my operating position:  a mini keyboard that does not have a
>>> separate keypad. Here is the URL.
>>>
>>> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0296731
>>>
>>> The keyboard is about 11 inches wide rather than the usual 20
>>> inches; the keys are full-sized, the action is comfortable, and the
>>> price is $7.99.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Dick
>>> KA1SA
>>>
>>> ______

>   Richard S. Lindzen
>   Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric
> Sciences
>
>   Office: 54-1720, MIT
>           Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
>           1 (617) 253-2432 (voice)
>           1 (617) 253-6208 (fax)
>
>   Temporary Home: 100 Memorial Drive
>                              Apt. 2-2a
>                            Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
>                            1 (617) 945-5784 (voice)

Re: OT: saving space

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Which generates RFI?  The PFU Systems HHK or the Microcenter?
I have the PFU PS/2 one, btw.
Leigh/WA5ZNU

> Have one here I bought to save space,  it generates enough
> RFI that its unusable on many bands,  If you have a high
> noise level you may not hear it,  but mine puts out a constant
> noise above my noise level.   Beads etc do not help, so its in
> the junk box.
> Merv KH7C
>
>> So far the quality seems fine.
>>
>> Dick
>> KA1SA
>>
>> At 08:35 PM 11/8/2009, Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
>>

>>> That's an amazing price, but if once you get it it turns out not to
>>> be of the quality you need, you might like the Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II:
>>>
>>> http://www.pfusystems.com/hhkeyboard/hhkeyboard.html
>>>
>>> It doesn't have a caps lock key, and the control key is in the "MIT
>>> Keyboard" location.
>>>
>>> Leigh/WA5ZNU

>>   Richard S. Lindzen
>>   Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric
>> Sciences
>>
>>   Office: 54-1720, MIT
>>           Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
>>           1 (617) 253-2432 (voice)
>>           1 (617) 253-6208 (fax)
>>
>>   Temporary Home: 100 Memorial Drive
>>                              Apt. 2-2a
>>                            Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
>>                            1 (617) 945-5784 (voice)
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT: saving space

Merv Schweigert
Sorry for not being clear,  the 7 bux one.
Merv KH7C

> Which generates RFI?  The PFU Systems HHK or the Microcenter?
> I have the PFU PS/2 one, btw.
> Leigh/WA5ZNU
>> Have one here I bought to save space,  it generates enough
>> RFI that its unusable on many bands,  If you have a high
>> noise level you may not hear it,  but mine puts out a constant
>> noise above my noise level.   Beads etc do not help, so its in
>> the junk box.
>> Merv KH7C
>>
>>> So far the quality seems fine.
>>>
>>> Dick
>>> KA1SA

>>>   Richard S. Lindzen
>>>   Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Sciences
>>>   Office: 54-1720, MIT
>>>           Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
>>>           1 (617) 253-2432 (voice)
>>>           1 (617) 253-6208 (fax)
>>>
>>>   Temporary Home: 100 Memorial Drive
>>>                              Apt. 2-2a
>>>                            Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
>>>                            1 (617) 945-5784 (voice)
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT: saving space

M0XDF
Yes it does have a caps lock key, you access it via Fn+Tab
I has all the normal keys you'd expect, including PrintScreen and
NumLock etc. and 12 function keys.
I agree about where the control key is, but I never found it a problem.

Ctrl+Alt+Del does involve 2 hands and 4 fingers (need Fn+~ to get
Del), but you quickly get used to it.
And some of the keys are configurable via DIP switches.

The USB version also acts as an unpowered hub with 2 USB sockets on it.

I've used one for many years and found them to be excellent.

73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
When you want to test the depths of a stream, don't use both feet.
-Chinese Proverb