One more question about CW operation

Alexey Kats
I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at all,
but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
paddles and keyers all the time?

I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code on
the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?

--
Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: One more question about CW operation

Steve Ellington
YES we use straight keys all the time. Listen on 7040 and above.
End of msg.
73
Steve
N4LQ
>I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at all,
> but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
> transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
> paddles and keyers all the time?
>
> I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code on
> the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
> words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
> wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?
>
> --
> Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: One more question about CW operation

Guy, K2AV
One of the things you will hear on the air is computer generated
keying with "contest spacing" which is a design "cram" to shorten
sending time without too much of a reduction in readibility.  Once
used to it, some prefer it.  These settings are available in various
contest boxes (Microham, etc) and contest loggers and similar programs
(N1MM, etc).

You're not losing your mind.

73, Guy

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Alexey Kats <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at all,
> but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
> transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
> paddles and keyers all the time?
>
> I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code on
> the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
> words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
> wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?
>
> --
> Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: One more question about CW operation

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
I use the internal K3 keyer with a Kent iambic paddle -- but I work a LOT of
guys (mostly in the US) who are clearly using bugs -- often poorly adjusted
bugs IMHO. I used a bug for years back in the day. Getting the dits just
right takes a little patience and a good ear, and not everybody has both,
apparently.

A lot of the DX stations I work, especially in contests, seem to be using
software-driven keyers that can send certain canned strings (like "CQ
<callsign>" and "599") at QRQ, while instantly slowing down for unexpected,
unique strings of characters (like QSO serial numbers). It sounds to me like
each canned message element is tagged with its own speed attribute. You
can't conveniently do that with a keyer and paddles.

LOL This is probably old hat stuff for a lot of HF contest guys -- I just
recently got back my toes back into HF CW after many years out of the game.

Straight keys -- I hear one every once in a while.

Bill W5WVO

> I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at all,
> but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
> transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
> paddles and keyers all the time?
>
> I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code on
> the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
> words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
> wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?
>
> --
> Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: One more question about CW operation

Bob Cunnings NW8L
Yes, operation here is almost exclusively straight key or bug. I use
my Swedish Pump style straight key at least 50% of the time, it's a
dream to operate.

Bob NW8L

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Alexey Kats <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at all,
> but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
> transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
> paddles and keyers all the time?
>
> I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code on
> the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
> words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
> wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?
>
> --
> Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: One more question about CW operation

ki4bbl
I use my Dad's old j11 straight key once in awhile...but I love the
ticks that quietly emanate from by bencher and Kent paddles, too.  No
keyer here.

Greg Doughty

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Alexey Kats <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at
>> all,
>> but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
>> transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you
>> using
>> paddles and keyers all the time?
>>
>> I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code
>> on
>> the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
>> words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
>> wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?
>>
>> --
>> Alexey Kats (neko)
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Greg
ki4bbl

Re: One more question about CW operation

L. D. Ingram
Hi Alexey,

I am one that uses a straight key - thats the way I started and
although I have played with paddles and bugs I always seem to revert
to the old navy straight key I have had since 1955.

Larry Ingram  AG4NN

At 09:54 AM 5/31/2010, you wrote:

>....Of all fine folks using Elecraft
>transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
>paddles and keyers all the time?
>

>--
>Alexey Kats (neko)
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: One more question about CW operation

N5GE
On Mon, 31 May 2010 06:54:17 -0700, Alexey Kats <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Yes, straight keys and bugs are still used, although only about ten to
fifteen percent of the users have mastered them.  Those who have
mastered them send pretty darn good code.  I was never able to master
the bug, but learned the straight key in the Army and feel comfortable
with it even now, although I use the keyer in the K3 most of the time.

With the K3 you can have a straight key and paddle key both connected
at the same time.

TOM, N5GE BT 73 ES GUD LUK
AR DE N5GE SK

http://www.n5ge.com

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: One more question about CW operation

N5GE
On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:24:02 -0400, Guy Olinger K2AV
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>One of the things you will hear on the air is computer generated
>keying with "contest spacing" which is a design "cram" to shorten
>sending time without too much of a reduction in readibility.  Once
>used to it, some prefer it.  These settings are available in various
>contest boxes (Microham, etc) and contest loggers and similar programs
>(N1MM, etc).
>
>You're not losing your mind.
>
>73, Guy
[snip]

Guy,

I found this when programming the CW memories on the K3;  If you use
the K3 Utility you can use half spaces between letters.

TOM, N5GE BT 73 ES GUD LUK
AR DE N5GE SK

http://www.n5ge.com

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: One more question about CW operation

Bill Coleman-2

On May 31, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Alexey Kats wrote:

> I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at all,
> but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
> transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
> paddles and keyers all the time?
>
> I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code on
> the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
> words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
> wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?

I used a straight key in my Novice days (75-77), but once I got my code speed above 13 wpm for my General, I graduated to iambic keyer paddles and haven't looked back. I do enjoy making a few contacts every year during straight key night, but generally I use paddles for casual contacts.

Now, for contesting, the computer generates virtually all the code, except for certain fills I make with the paddles.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Re: One more question about CW operation

Cookie
There has been a revival of operators using straight keys, bugs and cooties.  Some are very good to the point that you can hardly tell what key they are using.  Some are in the learning/relearning phase and are not so good.  The Straight Key Century Club www.skccgroup.com is a group of such enthusiasts.  I have three keys on my desk, a straight key, a bug and a paddle set.  I also use computer macros for working contests and sometimes DX.  There is no real advantage for bugs, straight keys and cooties over paddles and a keyer except the nostalgia of doing it the old fashioned way.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

________________________________

Re: One more question about CW operation

Alexey Kats
Thank you all, that was most educative. And I apologize for the
provocative question - I simply couldn't restrict my curiosity.

--
Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: One more question about CW operation

Paul-285

>So I wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?

Yes www.skccgroup.com

Re: One more question about CW operation

temilinrogers
Jump on board and supercharge your exam preparation! Our take my final exam for me service is your ticket to boosting your grades like a rocket booster. We've assembled an exceptional team ready to launch you towards success. Release the stress, buckle up, and get ready for an academic lift-off!