P2 Span Question

k0wa@swbell.net

I have been playing with my new P3 and wonder how others use the
"span" feature on different modes.

I have been using a span of:

CW - 10 to 15
SSB - 50 to 60
RTTY - 40- 50

What do others use for "span?"

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)

Never interfere with anything that isn't bothering you.

Re: P2 Span Question

k6dgw
On 6/1/2012 2:36 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

> I have been playing with my new P3 and wonder how others use the
> "span" feature on different modes.
>
> I have been using a span of:
>
> CW - 10 to 15
> SSB - 50 to 60
> RTTY - 40- 50
>
> What do others use for "span?"

I keep it pretty simple ... I'm mainly CW, I have FN1 set for Peak/Span
4, FN2 for FixTrack/Span 20, FN3 for MKRA zero/Span40, and FN4 for MKRB
zero/Span 200.  I have never used the Markers, I never use Freeze, I
never use Span 200, and I'm always in FixTrack.  It appears I have an
overabundance of programmable function keys.:-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party  6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: P2 Span Question

Nate Bargmann
I find that I'm leaving the span at +-10 kHz on SSB and may narrow it on
CW.  I try to keep the ref lvl set so the noise is at the bottom of the
spectrum display and then have the waterfall set to about 30% of the
screen.  Watching the P3 has become such a habit that I can't imagine
not having it now!

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P2 Span Question

Joe K2UF
I use Cw almost exclusively with an occasional RTTY QSO.  In a contest I
will use +-4.  When trying to work a DX split I will open up the span to
include where ever the DX happens to be listening.  In a contest I hardly
ever look at the K3 freq., I keep my eye on the P3 display. When S&Ping I
look for spikes.  When ready to run I look for as wide a valley as I can
find ;o).

73 Joe K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

Re: P2 Span Question

Arthur Burke
How I use the span is determined by what mental mode I'm in at the time.

In a CW pileup, I might only want to see the 10 kHz or so above the DX
station. So the span might be set to 20 (remember, there will be 10 on each
side).

Other times, I might want to just see what's going on with the CW sub-band,
so I might change the span to 100 - you might also have to "center" the
display so the cursor is more-or-less in the center of your span.

In a RTTY contest, I set the span down to 10 or 20 and "tune" for the peaks
of the signals. After working my way from top to bottom (or vice versa),
I'll use the CENTER function and "dial" the cursor to the other end (with
the P3 knob) and start over for the next 10 or 20 kHz.

Using the P3 can be very flexible.

Art - N4PJ

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Lee Buller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been playing with my new P3 and wonder how others use the
> "span" feature on different modes.
>
> I have been using a span of:
>
> CW - 10 to 15
> SSB - 50 to 60
> RTTY - 40- 50
>
> What do others use for "span?"
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

>  In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you
> don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't
> find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
> Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my
> mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)
>
> Never interfere with anything that isn't bothering you.

Re: P2 Span Question

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Hi Lee,

I tend to keep it 20KHz or less to watch nets and be able analyze
signals. Or a little broader if I am watching a pile up.

73, tom n4zpt