P3 Basics

PeteWK8S
Ok folks,

I'll try this question again. On the P3 display there is a purple line that move out or in when you set the SPAN width. This is NOT the VFO A or B marker!
I would like to understand what it signifies and if there is any control over it's position other than the SPAN setting and why.
I find on some bands it up the scale, like on 20 meters CW, with Span set at 40 it's way up at 14.186.00 when I am at 14.010.00
But when I switch to 30 meters CW Span at 40 also its at 10.115.45 while on 40M CW at 40 Span it's at 7.008.00
So it confounds me what it signifies as it varies so much between bands at the same settings.

Please politely enlighten me.

Thanks,

Pete WK8S

Re: P3 Basics

Dave New, N8SBE
I dunno.  Beats me.  You sure it doesn't move when you spin the VFO B
knob?

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

Re: P3 Basics

PeteWK8S
Thanks Mike! Your explanation is right on and makes clear and perfect sense.
It should be in the manual. :)

Pete Meier
[hidden email]
Amateur Radio Callsign: WK8S
|| If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you     - Don Marquis ||

On Mar 20, 2012, at 9:23 AM, K2MK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> You are correct, it is not the A or B marker. It is the actual VFO-A or VFO-B frequency. The A and B markers are something you can turn on or off and they move when you rotate the P3 SELECT knob. (Personally I don't even use them). The green VFO-A and purple VFO-B frequency markers are always there and their width indicates the DSP width of VFO-A and VFO-B. The reason the purple marker may be off the screen is because the VFO-B frequency is above or below the span width of the P3.
>
> The behavior of these frequency markers changes slightly depending on whether you are in Tracking mode or Fixed Tune mode. (I personally prefer Fixed Tune mode).
>
> When one of the frequency markers is off the screen, an arrow will appear that points to the right or left to tell you where the marker can be found.
>
> There is also a similar red marker that will appear when you are in SPLIT mode. This is your transmit frequency marker.
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Ok folks,
>
> I'll try this question again. On the P3 display there is a purple line that
> move out or in when you set the SPAN width. This is NOT the VFO A or B marker!
> I would like to understand what it signifies and if there is any control over
> it's position other than the SPAN setting and why.
> I find on some bands it up the scale, like on 20 meters CW, with Span set at 40
> it's way up at 14.186.00 when I am at 14.010.00
> But when I switch to 30 meters CW Span at 40 also its at 10.115.45 while on 40M
> CW at 40 Span it's at 7.008.00
> So it confounds me what it signifies as it varies so much between bands at the
> same settings.
>
> Please politely enlighten me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete WK8S

Re: P3 Basics

Rick Prather-2
Pete,

Sounds like you have "MKR B" turned on.

You can move it with the "Select" knob and you can turn it off by holding the "MKR B" button down.

BTW, if you were to tap the "Select" knob your B VFO will move to the frequency of the purple line.

Rick
K6LE

On 3/20/2012, at 5:39 , Pete Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok folks,
>
> I'll try this question again. On the P3 display there is a purple line that move out or in when you set the SPAN width. This is NOT the VFO A or B marker!
> I would like to understand what it signifies and if there is any control over it's position other than the SPAN setting and why.
> I find on some bands it up the scale, like on 20 meters CW, with Span set at 40 it's way up at 14.186.00 when I am at 14.010.00
> But when I switch to 30 meters CW Span at 40 also its at 10.115.45 while on 40M CW at 40 Span it's at 7.008.00
> So it confounds me what it signifies as it varies so much between bands at the same settings.
>
> Please politely enlighten me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete WK8S

Re: P3 Basics

k6dgw
On 3/20/2012 5:39 AM, Pete Meier wrote:

> Ok folks,
>
> I'll try this question again. On the P3 display there is a purple
> line that move out or in when you set the SPAN width. This is NOT the
> VFO A or B marker! I would like to understand what it signifies and
> if there is any control over it's position other than the SPAN
> setting and why. I find on some bands it up the scale, like on 20
> meters CW, with Span set at 40 it's way up at 14.186.00 when I am at
> 14.010.00 But when I switch to 30 meters CW Span at 40 also its at
> 10.115.45 while on 40M CW at 40 Span it's at 7.008.00 So it confounds
> me what it signifies as it varies so much between bands at the same
> settings.

Hmmm ... my wife tells me the Marker B line is purple, is that what
you're seeing?  Marker A is green, they both look the same to me.  When
they're turned on, they are each always set to some specific frequency
[you change it with the knob], so they will move as you change the SPAN
and CENTER frequencies.  The MKR switch toggles them on and off [Tap and
Hold].

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: P3 Basics

N5GE
Peter,

It IS in the manual on page 16 (Using Cursors).

P3 Owner's Manual Rev C.

73,

Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

"Farmers have learned that rotating crops improves
productivity and saves the land.  Voters should
improve productivity and save OUR LAND by
rotating politicians at the ballot box."
-- Otis Mukinfus --

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:58:51 -0600, Pete Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks Mike! Your explanation is right on and makes clear and perfect sense.
>It should be in the manual. :)

[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE