P3 Calibration help

k6dgw
New P3 Jockey here.  It seems to work fine.  I note however that when I
have a CW signal zeroed on CWT [and with AUTO SPOT], it shows up just
below the center line that has the correct frequency displayed on the
K3.  I think I need to download a new manual, the one that came with it
is apparently a couple of FW revs old.  Is there some sort of
calibration process I'm supposed to do with the P3 Utility [which I just
downloaded]?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: P3 Calibration help

k6dgw
On 9/11/2011 6:39 PM, Dwayne Rohmer wrote:
> Fred,
>
> Try Menu: Ref Cal. Did just that this morning. Works like a charm.

Thanks Dwayne, Worked great!  I also found it in the manual ... just
have to look harder.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: P3 Calibration help

Vic Rosenthal
There is a REF CAL function on the P3 menu. Adjust it so the K3 and P3 agree.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: P3 Calibration help

Alan Bloom
Hi Fred,

Yes, at narrow spans there may be a small frequency error depending on
the accuracy of the clock oscillator in the P3.  The calibration
procedure is in the "Calibration Procedures" section of the P3 Owner's
Manual.  You don't need a frequency counter or signal generator - you
can calibrate using an off-the-air signal whose frequency is accurately
known.  (I generally use an AM broadcast station.)

Alan N1AL