P3 Cursors

Jim Sheldon
Since loading beta version 1.08, I've noticed that the SSB cursors get narrower with the passband "shift" settings, but won't go to the left of the center line in USB and the same holds true for LSB.  I don't remember the U shaped cursors doing this before.  The CW cursors will move either side of the center line and not change width with the "shift" control.  The width of the cursor does change as it should with use of the "width" control in both CW and SSB modes.

Is this the way it's supposed to work or is it a bug that I just came across?  I haven't seen anything reported on this before, so don't know for sure.

Jim Sheldon - W0EB

Re: P3 Cursors

Jim Sheldon
I regressed to 1.05 and it still has the same problem.  Took it all the way back to 1.00 and the cursors follow the shift and width settings properly.

Alan, you might want to look closely at where this went awry between version 1.00 and 1.05 as it was carried over into 1.08 and since I operate more CW than SSB I didn't notice it until working SSB on 6 meters early this afternoon.

Jim Sheldon - W0EB

> Since loading beta version 1.08, I've noticed that the SSB cursors
> get narrower with the passband "shift" settings, but won't go to
> the left of the center line in USB and the same holds true for LSB.
> I don't remember the U shaped cursors doing this before.  The CW
> cursors will move either side of the center line and not change
> width with the "shift" control.  The width of the cursor does
> change as it should with use of the "width" control in both CW and
> SSB modes.
>
> Is this the way it's supposed to work or is it a bug that I just
> came across?  I haven't seen anything reported on this before, so
> don't know for sure.
>
> Jim Sheldon - W0EB

Re: P3 Cursors

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Since loading beta version 1.08, I've noticed that the SSB cursors
 > get narrower with the passband "shift" settings, but won't go to
 > the left of the center line in USB and the same holds true for LSB.

That is the correct behavior.  Adjusting the shift will not move the
low frequency (audio) limit "below" the carrier (e.g. negative).  If
moving the shift toward lower audio frequencies would move the low
frequency audio cutoff "below" 0 Hz (into the opposite sideband), only
the high frequency cutoff will be moved.

What you are seeing as "narrowing" is the movement of the high limit
with the low limit "frozen" at "0 Hz".

> The CW cursors will move either  side of the center line and not
 > change width with the "shift" control.

That's because the cursor represents the actual CW frequency and
moving shift will adjust the response +/- the CW "pitch".  If you
expand the CW display, you will notice that the cursor will still
not shift more than "pitch" (e.g. 500 Hz if that is your pitch)
to the low audio frequency side of the carrier/cursor as the shift
is moved lower in audio tone.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/8/2011 3:09 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
> Since loading beta version 1.08, I've noticed that the SSB cursors
> get
narrower with the passband "shift" settings, but won't go to the left of
the center line in USB and the same holds true for LSB. I don't remember
the U shaped cursors doing this before. The CW cursors will move either
side of the center line and not change width with the "shift" control.
The width of the cursor does change as it should with use of the "width"
control in both CW and SSB modes.

> Is this the way it's supposed to work or is it a bug that I just
> came
across? I haven't seen anything reported on this before, so don't know
for sure.

> Jim Sheldon - W0EB

Re: P3 Cursors

Alan Bloom
That was changed in 1.05.  From the release notes:

   * The displayed VFO cursors are not allowed to straddle
   the suppressed carrier frequency in SSB, CW and DATA A
   modes, to more-closely match actual K3 operation.

Alan "It's a feature not a bug" N1AL