P3 Display Anomaly

Jim Bennett
Just wondering if I am the Lone Ranger here or if anyone else is having this P3 "experience". Every so often, perhaps once every 20 - 40 seconds or so, I see some sort of spur go flying across the screen. It starts low and flies up in frequency, right off the display. With my display span set at 50 kHz below and 50 kHz above, this "spur" takes only a second to cross the entire display range. Not band dependent, either. My K3 is running on solar / battery power, so it isn't something from my power supply.

It isn't causing me a problem, just wondering if I have a "special" K3/P3 or if this is common.

Tnx, Jim / W6JHB

Jim Bennett
224 American River Canyon Dr.
Folsom, CA 95630-7409

[hidden email]

Web: http://www.fil-am-sellers.com

Being retired doesn't mean I'm not part of the work force - just that I'm not forced to work!

Re: P3 Display Anomaly

Jim Sheldon
Disconnect your antenna, set the REF LVL on the P3 so you can see the background noise at the base of the display and watch it for a while.  If you no longer see it, it isn't in the K3/P3 anywhere and is external to the radio.

I have several "sweepers" that come through from time to time.  One is somewhere in the neighborhood and the other is coming from a bad TV cable line amplifier on the pole outside my house.  I'm having a heck of a time getting the cable company that it's their problem and they are liable for fixing it.  I have gotten the local "fox hunt" group out and they confirm my findings and we know exactly which amp it is.  I have spectrum pix of it using the image capture feature of the P3 with dates, times and frequencies.  I filed a formal complaint with the FCC and sent them copies of all correspondence with the cable company, my spectrum analysis pictures and notarized affidavits from the fox hunt guys with their direction finding results.  Hopefully that will get the same results I got with the power company.  Had to file a formal complaint with the FCC on that one too, but now, they are all sweetness and light and whenever I call 'em they jump on the line noise problems as quick
 as they can free up a crew to clean/fix insulators in the neighborhood.

Jim - W0EB

> Just wondering if I am the Lone Ranger here or if anyone else is
> having this P3 "experience". Every so often, perhaps once every 20 -
> 40 seconds or so, I see some sort of spur go flying across the
> screen. It starts low and flies up in frequency, right off the
> display. With my display span set at 50 kHz below and 50 kHz above,
> this "spur" takes only a second to cross the entire display range.
> Not band dependent, either. My K3 is running on solar / battery
> power, so it isn't something from my power supply.
>
> It isn't causing me a problem, just wondering if I have a "special"
> K3/P3 or if this is common.
>
> Tnx, Jim / W6JHB
>

> Jim Bennett
> 224 American River Canyon Dr.
> Folsom, CA 95630-7409
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Web: http://www.fil-am-sellers.com
>
> Being retired doesn't mean I'm not part of the work force - just
> that I'm not forced to work!

Re: P3 Display Anomaly

k6dgw
On 3/15/2012 4:00 PM, Jim Bennett wrote:
> Just wondering if I am the Lone Ranger here or if anyone else is
> having this P3 "experience". Every so often, perhaps once every 20 -
> 40 seconds or so, I see some sort of spur go flying across the
> screen. It starts low and flies up in frequency, right off the
> display.

You're not the Lone Ranger, Kemosabe.  I see it, not a spur for me, goes
away without the antenna.  I also see "moving humps", sorry, no other
description, that drift from time to time, and generally upwards in
frequency but not always.  They go away with no antenna too.  There's a
whole lot of very weird electromagnetic radiation out there.  I can see
an ET or conspiracy theory developing here, I think I'll decline.

And your use of "anomaly" conforms to NASA standards.  It could be an
inop indicator, or pointy part of the rocket in the sand somewhere south
of Phoenix.  A truly useful term.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: P3 Display Anomaly

Tony Estep
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...Every so often, perhaps once every 20 - 40 seconds or so, I see some sort of spur go flying across the screen.....
================
I see 'em too, Jim, and I know they're for real because I can hear
them in my headphones. I don't know if you usually use headphones, but
if you do I'm pretty sure you too will hear the spurs as they fly
across.

Some of these may be beacons. There are some beacons that sweep from
low to high, with antennas that shoot straight up; they are used by
NOAA or some agency (don't know which) to map the MUF. And of course
there are many sources of pure garbage, such as those described by Jim
W0EB in his interesting post.

There are also innumerable sources of non-sweeping junk being radiated
throughout the spectrum. I guess somebody knows what it all is, but I
sure don't. One of the most irritating appears as a bunch of
closely-spaced carriers that show up on the spectrum as a hump-shaped
series of vertical lines, and sounds like a table-saw. I see this at
various times and places on all bands. At my QTH one of these seems to
come on whenever there's juicy but weak DX on 30 meters.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: P3 Display Anomaly

Simon Lewis-6

They are chirpsounders - normally on SSB or CW you may hear a 'blip' as they pass through

using a pandapter you can see they whizzing up band visually!

They are Ionospheric sounders mapping the layers. Quite useful tools.

There are various radars and sounders also operating around 5-6 Mhz and 10 MHz

TIGER around the 10 MHz spectrum is another ionospheric sounds and you will see various CODAR signals too (these are wave heights and direction radars for weather)

not very useful! with their broadband noisey signals.

HF is a busy place even in these days of satellites and microwaves!

Cheers

Simon ZL4PLM

Check out more information on the world 50 MHz and Up : www.zl4plm.com

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Simon Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> They are chirpsounders...
=================
Ah yes, now I remember hearing that name. Thank you, Simon Those are
the sweeping beacons I mentioned.

Google on 'chirpsounder' and you'll find a strange world of
propagation analysis stuff you may not have known about or imagined.
Peter Martinez G3PLX, one of ham radio's resident geniuses (inventor
of PSK), seems to have started the ball rolling with a software app
and analytical framework. Others have built on it to create a number
of esoteric tools to figure out what's going on up there in the sky.

Of course, what Jim was hearing that prompted all this may be
something different, like a faulty cable repeater, and may have
nothing to do with chirpsounders. But some of the ones I hear
definitely are.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

P3 Display Anomaly

Rose
Google "SeaSonde" ... I used to work within a few hundred yards of
two of them ... one near Waldport, OR and one on Yaquina Head, OR.
Both are housed in the utility areas of public bathrooms. (;-) I have
numerous photos.

There are hundreds of ionospheric sounders scattered all over the
world.  The NBS operates one behind one of the NBS buildings in
Boulder, CO.

Noise from Jupiter is common throughout the HF range and can
sometimes seen in PSK waterfall displays.

I used to work in radio astronomy, BTW

73!

Ken - K0PP
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Simon Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They are chirpsounders - normally on SSB or CW you may hear a 'blip' as
> they pass through
>
> using a pandapter you can see they whizzing up band visually!
>
> They are Ionospheric sounders mapping the layers. Quite useful tools.
>
> There are various radars and sounders also operating around 5-6 Mhz and 10
> MHz
>
> TIGER around the 10 MHz spectrum is another ionospheric sounds and you
> will see various CODAR signals too (these are wave heights and direction
> radars for weather)
>
> not very useful! with their broadband noisey signals.
>
> HF is a busy place even in these days of satellites and microwaves!
>
> Cheers
>
> Simon ZL4PLM
>

> Check out more information on the world 50 MHz and Up : www.zl4plm.com
>

> > Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:04:43 -0500
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [Elecraft] P3 Display Anomaly
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > ...Every so often, perhaps once every 20 - 40 seconds or so, I see
> some sort of spur go flying across the screen.....
> > ================
> > I see 'em too, Jim, and I know they're for real because I can hear
> > them in my headphones. I don't know if you usually use headphones, but
> > if you do I'm pretty sure you too will hear the spurs as they fly
> > across.
> >
> > Some of these may be beacons. There are some beacons that sweep from
> > low to high, with antennas that shoot straight up; they are used by
> > NOAA or some agency (don't know which) to map the MUF. And of course
> > there are many sources of pure garbage, such as those described by Jim
> > W0EB in his interesting post.
> >
> > There are also innumerable sources of non-sweeping junk being radiated
> > throughout the spectrum. I guess somebody knows what it all is, but I
> > sure don't. One of the most irritating appears as a bunch of
> > closely-spaced carriers that show up on the spectrum as a hump-shaped
> > series of vertical lines, and sounds like a table-saw. I see this at
> > various times and places on all bands. At my QTH one of these seems to
> > come on whenever there's juicy but weak DX on 30 meters.
> >
> > Tony KT0NY
> >

> > --
> > http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: P3 Display Anomaly

Jim Bennett
Well, after several very informative replies to my post, I've come to the determination that I'm not the only one seeing these "Flying Fribbles", "Moving Humps", "Sweepers", "Chirpsounders", "Beacons", "SeaSonde", etc. Of course, it's just possible that there is a cloaked ship up there that is scanning us……. :-) :-)

So, maybe Wayne & crew can add a new button to the K3 such that we'd have: NB (Noise Blanker), NR (Noise Reduction), and FR (Fribble Reducer). Arrrghhhhh - I need a glass of wine!

OK, end of thread (at least for me).

73, Jim / W6JHB