P3 External Monitor Displaying CW at HamCom Yesterday

P3 External Monitor Displaying CW at HamCom Yesterday

W5RDW
I saw one of the monitors that was hooked up to a P3 at HamCom Yesterday displaying scrolling CW on the bottom part of the screen along with the band scan on the top of the screen.

Is this the "P3 Keyboard input and data display" that was mentioned earlier as a feature coming down the pike? :)
Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 External Monitor Displaying CW at HamCom Yesterday

w8fn
I was told this was a test of new firmware for the P3SVGA. It seemed to
do a fine job of decoding both PSK31 and CW (they had two P3s running,
each decoding a different mode), although the signals consisted simply
of an endlessly repeated callsign. At one point Friday afternoon we had
a total power loss to the exhibit hall. The new firmware was
sufficiently robust that it recovered from this unanticipated test. I
didn't think to ask if keyboard input was also in this firmware, but I
don't recall seeing a keyboard connected to either P3.

73...
Randy, W8FN

On 06/10/2012 10:46, W5RDW wrote:
> I saw one of the monitors that was hooked up to a P3 at HamCom Yesterday
> displaying scrolling CW on the bottom part of the screen along with the band
> scan on the top of the screen.
>
> Is this the "P3 Keyboard input and data display" that was mentioned earlier
> as a feature coming down the pike? :)
>
> -----
> Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 External Monitor Displaying CW at HamCom Yesterday

Jim Sheldon
Since Eric probably isn't back home yet, and I was there helping them
with the displays, I'll answer this as best I can.

It was some new code for the P3SVGA that iwios still in test and hasn't
been released to the public as a Beta version yet.  The CW, PSK and RTTY
decode is not being done in the SVGA option, but in the K3 itself.  It's
the same data that shows up in the VFO-B area on the K3's LCD display,
just being passed to the P3's SVGA option and displayed on the big
screen.  The USB keyboard interface is already included in the P3SVGA
option but the code is still being worked on.  I wasn't told how soon
this would be out in the world, but the display of the K3's decoded data
is at least working.  I believe, and Eric will correct me if I'm wrong
that even though there won't be a keyboard interface without having the
SVGA installed in the P3 that eventually the decoded DATA will be able
to be displayed on the P3's screen.

That's about all the info I have that I feel comfortable passing on
right now and once Eric gets home and rested up from the show (which
was, by the way, a good one.)  Lots of interest in all things Elecraft
and especially in the KX3 and the P3 with the SVGA adapter.  Eric's wife
Lerma was pretty much kept busy taking orders for all sorts of stuff.
It was nice that the Plano Center convention venue had open Wi-Fi available.

Of particular interest in the KX3 camp was the ability to use an i-Pad
and a little device called the i-MIC along with an APP to take the info
from the KX3 and display it on the i-Pad making it into a very nice high
resolution panadapter.

Nuff said for now as I'm sure Eric will have lots more to say about
Ham-Com when he gets rested up.

Jim Sheldon -= W0EB

On 6/10/2012 10:46 AM, W5RDW wrote:

> I saw one of the monitors that was hooked up to a P3 at HamCom Yesterday
> displaying scrolling CW on the bottom part of the screen along with the band
> scan on the top of the screen.
>
> Is this the "P3 Keyboard input and data display" that was mentioned earlier
> as a feature coming down the pike? :)
>
> -----
> Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 External Monitor Displaying CW at HamCom Yesterday

W5RDW
Thanks for the update. Sounds like neat things are on the horizon!

Seeing what the the KAT500 will look like showed me how really small it is! Almost didn't notice it above the Amp!
Roger W5RDW