P3/K3

Mike Harris
G'day,

Anyone using an USB>RS232 interface between the PC an P3/K3 combo.  I'm
particularly thinking something like the microHAM Digi Keyer.

I assume the P3 doesn't need any of the RS232 signals other than TX and
RX and can therefore accept the RS232 out of the Digi Keyer which would
ordinarily go to the K3 RS232 port.

PTT and keying would be taken care of by the Digi Keyer so the RS232 RTS
and DTS wouldn't be required.

I have a Digi Keyer and it works perfectly well with the K3 and my
software; Logger32 and SD (contest) both of which generate perfectly
acceptable software CW for me.  At present I'm running the the K3
without any external interface into the PC via RS232 and the PC internal
sound card.  Not quite so easy to play the sound card levels but workable.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

Re: P3/K3

w0mu
Check the archives but I believe this is something you do not want to do.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 12/8/2011 10:27 AM, Mike Harris wrote:

> G'day,
>
> Anyone using an USB>RS232 interface between the PC an P3/K3 combo.  I'm
> particularly thinking something like the microHAM Digi Keyer.
>
> I assume the P3 doesn't need any of the RS232 signals other than TX and
> RX and can therefore accept the RS232 out of the Digi Keyer which would
> ordinarily go to the K3 RS232 port.
>
> PTT and keying would be taken care of by the Digi Keyer so the RS232 RTS
> and DTS wouldn't be required.
>
> I have a Digi Keyer and it works perfectly well with the K3 and my
> software; Logger32 and SD (contest) both of which generate perfectly
> acceptable software CW for me.  At present I'm running the the K3
> without any external interface into the PC via RS232 and the PC internal
> sound card.  Not quite so easy to play the sound card levels but workable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: P3/K3

Nate Bargmann
* On 2011 08 Dec 11:31 -0600, Mike Harris wrote:
> G'day,
>
> Anyone using an USB>RS232 interface between the PC an P3/K3 combo.  I'm
> particularly thinking something like the microHAM Digi Keyer.

I don't know about the MicroHam, but a standard adapter should work
fine.  Some are more RF quiet than others.  I have some IO Gear adapters
that have proven to be quiet and work without issue with my Debian Linux
computer.

73, de Nate N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P3/K3

Stan Gibbs, KR7C
I run a microHam DigiKeyer II with a P3/K3 combo with no problems at all.
73, Stan - KR7C

Re: P3/K3

Alan Bloom
On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 14:27 -0300, Mike Harris wrote:
> G'day,
>
> Anyone using an USB>RS232 interface between the PC an P3/K3 combo.  I'm
> particularly thinking something like the microHAM Digi Keyer.
>
> I assume the P3 doesn't need any of the RS232 signals other than TX and
> RX and can therefore accept the RS232 out of the Digi Keyer which would
> ordinarily go to the K3 RS232 port.

Correct.

> PTT and keying would be taken care of by the Digi Keyer so the RS232 RTS
> and DTS wouldn't be required.

The RTS, CTS and DTR signals are connected directly between the "PC" and
"XCVR" RS-232 connectors on the P3.  There is no connection to internal
circuitry.  If the PC software is using these lines for CW keying or
other purposes, it should work the same with or without the P3.

Alan N1AL

> I have a Digi Keyer and it works perfectly well with the K3 and my
> software; Logger32 and SD (contest) both of which generate perfectly
> acceptable software CW for me.  At present I'm running the the K3
> without any external interface into the PC via RS232 and the PC internal
> sound card.  Not quite so easy to play the sound card levels but workable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO

Re: P3/K3

Mike Harris
Many thanks to all who replied.  It is as I suspected but without a P3
schematic I thought it wise to ask.

The point about not trying to update P3/K3 firmware through a microHAM
interface is understood.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO