P3 Keyboard

John Ragle
Paul...

     I see that this discussion has run through several cycles on the
reflector since my original response. Thanks for the suggestion that we
get together on the phone, but I think it is better if I give you my
*/overall reaction/* to the idea of a keyboard accessory for the P3,
rather than run through a bunch of possibilities.

     I have been licensed since 1946. In that time, equipment has surely
run a considerable gamut! Most recently, and in that order, I have
owned/used a K2/100, a Flex 3000, and my current K3/100+P3.
Additionally, I have been "in computing" since the late 1950's, and into
micros since about 1978/1979, using Apple, Tandy, Digital, and Microsoft
devices.

     My firmest contention is that a good general-purpose computer  is a
very significant portion of the modern amateur radio installation. I
view my K3/P3 as accessories to my computers, not contrariwise. I think
that a clear majority of licensees hold the same opinion, though there
are evidently very significant numbers of ops who still separate the two
types of equipment in their minds.

     The one place where I see importance in the radio part of my
equipment is in the P3's ability to scan large bandwidths...compared to
e.g. "Spectravue" or other material that can only field a Nyquist
frequency of "several" kHz.

     In my digital operation, I make no use at all of the built-in
capabilities of the K3...I use a program running on the PC feeding a
SignaLink box which feeds the line-in of the K3. Decoding for all
digital modes is done by the program on the PC. In my case, I use FLDIGI
and its impressive list of supported digital modes, together with FLRIG
to provide "CAT" control of the K3. About the only functions on the K3
front panel that I use are XFIL and the SHIFT LO-CUT-HI WIDTH controls,
along with the SPEED setting (I do use the keyer in the K3). Many of the
day-to-day controls are available through FLRIG. Of course, both FLDIGI
and FLRIG are freeware and are actively maintained for several
platforms, e.g. WIN, LINUX, etc. I use either WIN7 or LINUX, depending
on which OS I've booted to (usually WIN7 because of the paucity of apps
for LINUX).

     In accordance with this long list of my own personal prejudices, I
see items like a keyboard for the P3 as retrograde. I could scarcely
find room on my desk for yet another keyboard. Brag tapes and keyboard
macros are already fully (and even excessively) implemented in FLDIGI,
and with the screen capture machinery on my PC, I pay little attention
to the P3 front panel itself. I have mentioned to Dave (W1HKJ) that it
might be nice to have a few P3 commands available in FLRIG, and he
concurs, though I suspect this matter is not high on his priority list.
I have never used the terminal capabilities of either the K3 or P3
utilities.

     Good luck with your endeavors.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====