P3 Right Side Panel Scratched

radioshoppe
Hi,

Just a word of caution for anyone owning or anticipating purchasing a P3.  If you position it on the left side of your radio the screws holding the carry strap WILL seriously scratch the P3's right side panel. While that to some may seem obvious it appeared to me that the strap was thick enough to prevent scratches.  NOT.........  Support tells me to contact a person who's information I do not have in front of me at the moment, to purchase a replacement side panel.  I have not contacted that person yet so I have no idea of availability and cost.

I would like to strongly suggest a warning about the potential for scratching be put in the P3 manual.  Maybe some sort of suggestion like taping the screw heads, using screws with a different head or some kind of bumper be included in the P3 manual.

This situation may also apply to the other models of the K-Line as well.  Users beware.

Take pride in the USA. 73

Jim, W0EM

Re: P3 Right Side Panel Scratched

David Windisch
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Brgds,
Dave, N3HE
Cincinnati OH

Re: P3 Right Side Panel Scratched

Rob May-2

I think an auto body shop would have a hard time matching the texture and I doubt they could paint it for less than the cost of the panel from Elecraft.

That being said, the front panels of my K3, P3 and KPA500 all had flaws in the finish from the factory.  The K3 front panel had a paint drip, the P3 front panel silkscreening was messed up on the "MKR A" label and the KPA500 front panel had a tiny grain of something under the paint.  Elecraft replaced the front panel on the K3, but I didn't bother with the other two, I just live with because in use it's fairly minor.

Rob

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 03:35:52 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] P3 Right Side Panel Scratched
>
> Take the panel to your choice of auto paint shops.  Maaco comes to mind.
> Brgds,
> Dave, N3HE

Re: P3 Right Side Panel Scratched

radioshoppe
Just for information purposes the panel from Elecraft is $29.40 plus shipping.  Don't know what an auto body shop would charge to paint it.  I'll try to check into that in a day or so when time permits.  They usually only paint to auto specs and colors.  Don't know if it would be possible to find one that can do other paint well.

Thanks for all the comments.

Jim, W0EM

Re: P3 Right Side Panel Scratched

Matt Zilmer
Had the same problem here with P3 #12.  Used some rubbing compound and
took it down close to metal, then re-shot it with 1) finish paint, 2)
epoxy appliance paint.  The surface isn't quite the same as original,
but it's close enough.  You can also use some 800 grit emery cloth to
rough the painted surface up to a close approximation of the original
finish (VEWWY carefully!).

After everything cured and the panel was replaced, I used four cut
blocks of 1/2" neoprene sheet  to stand off the P3's right-side
corners against the left side of the K3.  Double-sided tape works for
mounting the neoprene blocks and won't take off the paint if you have
to remove them.

For this K3/P3, this all happened on Field Day when I was being a neat
freak.  There is no real need to have the P3 so close to the K3, but
at 3:30AM in the depths of a CW binge - well, you get the idea.

If you want the Real Deal(tm), you're best off emailing
[hidden email] or calling the office to get an order placed.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:53:19 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just a word of caution for anyone owning or anticipating purchasing a P3.  If you position it on the left side of your radio the screws holding the carry strap WILL seriously scratch the P3's right side panel. While that to some may seem obvious it appeared to me that the strap was thick enough to prevent scratches.  NOT.........  Support tells me to contact a person who's information I do not have in front of me at the moment, to purchase a replacement side panel.  I have not contacted that person yet so I have no idea of availability and cost.
>
>I would like to strongly suggest a warning about the potential for scratching be put in the P3 manual.  Maybe some sort of suggestion like taping the screw heads, using screws with a different head or some kind of bumper be included in the P3 manual.
>
>This situation may also apply to the other models of the K-Line as well.  Users beware.
>

>Take pride in the USA. 73
>

>Jim, W0EM
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: P3 Right Side Panel Scratched

Bill K9YEQ
You can probably buy touch up paint from Elecraft.  I have some for my K2
and other similar colored Elecraft equipment. An auto body shop will need a
bit more than what you can buy the new panel would guess.  Used to manage a
claim office which did auto repair estimates.  It isn't just about painting,
there's a lot more that goes into the cost.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ