P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
The P3SVGA wide screen video adapter for the P3 Panadapter with high
performance FFT processor is now available for ordering. See:
http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm#svga

The P3SVGA adapter adds wide screen display capability to the P3 (up to
1920x1080p). It also has a dedicated high speed FFT processor that
performs a 2048 point FFT in parallel with the P3's existing processor,
for a much higher frequency resolution per dot display on the larger
screen. The P3SVGA adapter is a plug-in internal card to the P3 that can
be easily added by the user.

The P3SVGA also includes an interface for our future USB keyboard option
that will allow direct digital mode operation via the K3 and P3, with
data display in a P3.

Currently supported native screen resolutions  (other resolutions may be
added in the future):

     1024 x 768
     1280 x 1024
     1440 x 900
     1600 x 900
     1920 x 1080

Note: Most other resolution flat screen displays also support the next
lower P3 screen resolution.

Like the P3, the P3SVGA is firmware downloadable and new features will
be available over time.

The P3SVGA is now available on our order page.  Its estimated starting
ship date is Feb. 21st.

73,

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Thanks Eric. Now to look for an SVGA frame grabber so I can stream the
P3 output and perhaps put in a movable window in my large display. 73,
tom n4zpt

On 1/11/2012 9:17 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> The P3SVGA wide screen video adapter for the P3 Panadapter with high
> performance FFT processor is now available for ordering. See:
> http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm#svga
>
> The P3SVGA adapter adds wide screen display capability to the P3 (up to
> 1920x1080p). It also has a dedicated high speed FFT processor that
> performs a 2048 point FFT in parallel with the P3's existing processor,
> for a much higher frequency resolution per dot display on the larger
> screen. The P3SVGA adapter is a plug-in internal card to the P3 that can
> be easily added by the user.
>
> The P3SVGA also includes an interface for our future USB keyboard option
> that will allow direct digital mode operation via the K3 and P3, with
> data display in a P3.
>
> Currently supported native screen resolutions  (other resolutions may be
> added in the future):
>
>       1024 x 768
>       1280 x 1024
>       1440 x 900
>       1600 x 900
>       1920 x 1080

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
The keyboard usb port h/w has been tested, but needs additional firmware to be written before we add the external keyboard feature. We hope to have it live in the next several months.

73,

Eric

www.elecraft.com
_..._

On Jan 11, 2012, at 6:27 PM, "Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
> Thanks for letting us know.
> One question though, is the USB port currently enabled for keyboard use or
> do we have to wait for that feature to be enabled in the firmware?
> If we have to wait, can you give us some kind of time frame for that feature
> to become 'live'
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 73 de
> Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
> East Innisfail
> QLD, Australia

KPA1500? or Possible screen-less P3? Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Pete Smith N4ZR
Something for my wish-list at least, would be a P3 without its own
screen, with the P3SVGA's capabilities.  I have plenty of monitors.
Presumably cost would be usefully lower than the P3 + P3SVGA.  On the
other hand, I know that the folks at Elecraft are really busy, so...

If I really could have my way, the next thing would be a KPA1500 using
3X the KPA-500 amp modules and the biggest toroidal transformer you ever
saw.  But wait - didn't I see that at Dayton a few years ago?

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

On 1/11/2012 9:17 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> The P3SVGA wide screen video adapter for the P3 Panadapter with high
> performance FFT processor is now available for ordering. See:
> http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm#svga
>
> The P3SVGA adapter adds wide screen display capability to the P3 (up to
> 1920x1080p). It also has a dedicated high speed FFT processor that
> performs a 2048 point FFT in parallel with the P3's existing processor,
> for a much higher frequency resolution per dot display on the larger
> screen. The P3SVGA adapter is a plug-in internal card to the P3 that can
> be easily added by the user.
>
> The P3SVGA also includes an interface for our future USB keyboard option
> that will allow direct digital mode operation via the K3 and P3, with
> data display in a P3.
>
> Currently supported native screen resolutions  (other resolutions may be
> added in the future):
>
>       1024 x 768
>       1280 x 1024
>       1440 x 900
>       1600 x 900
>       1920 x 1080
>
> Note: Most other resolution flat screen displays also support the next
> lower P3 screen resolution.
>
> Like the P3, the P3SVGA is firmware downloadable and new features will
> be available over time.
>
> The P3SVGA is now available on our order page.  Its estimated starting
> ship date is Feb. 21st.
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
> ---
> www.elecraft.com

Re: KPA1500? or Possible screen-less P3? Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

J&J Kulp
I would like to sign up for both of these items right behind Pete....especially the KPA1500..........

jim    K3SW

On Jan 12, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

> Something for my wish-list at least, would be a P3 without its own
> screen, with the P3SVGA's capabilities.  I have plenty of monitors.
> Presumably cost would be usefully lower than the P3 + P3SVGA.  On the
> other hand, I know that the folks at Elecraft are really busy, so...
>
> If I really could have my way, the next thing would be a KPA1500 using
> 3X the KPA-500 amp modules and the biggest toroidal transformer you ever
> saw.  But wait - didn't I see that at Dayton a few years ago?
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
>

> On 1/11/2012 9:17 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> The P3SVGA wide screen video adapter for the P3 Panadapter with high
>> performance FFT processor is now available for ordering. See:
>> http://www.elecraft.com/P3/p3.htm#svga
>>
>> The P3SVGA adapter adds wide screen display capability to the P3 (up to
>> 1920x1080p). It also has a dedicated high speed FFT processor that
>> performs a 2048 point FFT in parallel with the P3's existing processor,
>> for a much higher frequency resolution per dot display on the larger
>> screen. The P3SVGA adapter is a plug-in internal card to the P3 that can
>> be easily added by the user.
>>
>> The P3SVGA also includes an interface for our future USB keyboard option
>> that will allow direct digital mode operation via the K3 and P3, with
>> data display in a P3.
>>
>> Currently supported native screen resolutions  (other resolutions may be
>> added in the future):
>>
>>      1024 x 768
>>      1280 x 1024
>>      1440 x 900
>>      1600 x 900
>>      1920 x 1080
>>
>> Note: Most other resolution flat screen displays also support the next
>> lower P3 screen resolution.
>>
>> Like the P3, the P3SVGA is firmware downloadable and new features will
>> be available over time.
>>
>> The P3SVGA is now available on our order page.  Its estimated starting
>> ship date is Feb. 21st.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Eric
>> ---
>> www.elecraft.com

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Terry Schieler
"several months"?  Come on guys, we asked for this feature at LEAST a week ago!  ;o)

Good grief.  Does the Elecraft creativity well ever dry up?

Thanks again!

Terry, W0FM

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

gm3sek
Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft wrote:
>The keyboard usb port h/w has been tested, but needs additional
>firmware to be written before we add the external keyboard feature. We
>hope to have it live in the next several months.

Will there be a facility to export high-resolution image files via the
USB port?

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Not yet - Still at the current resolution. but we are looking at adding
that to the f/w.

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com

On 1/12/2012 1:50 PM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> Eric Swartz WA6HHQ - Elecraft wrote:
>> The keyboard usb port h/w has been tested, but needs additional
>> firmware to be written before we add the external keyboard feature. We
>> hope to have it live in the next several months.
>>
> Will there be a facility to export high-resolution image files via the
> USB port?

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

gm3sek
Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> Will there be a facility to export high-resolution image files via the
>> USB port?

>Not yet - Still at the current resolution. but we are looking at adding
>that to the f/w.

Thanks, Eric - that's as much as we expect right now.

But longer-term, there does need to be some way to show those high-res
images to the rest of the world! (Maybe a simple "write-only" process to
a USB stick, using a system assigned filename?)

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Guy, K2AV
What I would like more is the ability to export that SVGA info somehow to
my PC so I can put it in a WINDOW on my 30 inch display instead of having
to dedicate a display to it. There's no place to put the second dedicated
monitor except to far left or far right.

73, Guy.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Ian White GM3SEK <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> >> Will there be a facility to export high-resolution image files via the
> >> USB port?
>
> >Not yet - Still at the current resolution. but we are looking at adding
> >that to the f/w.
> >
> Thanks, Eric - that's as much as we expect right now.
>
> But longer-term, there does need to be some way to show those high-res
> images to the rest of the world! (Maybe a simple "write-only" process to
> a USB stick, using a system assigned filename?)
>

> --
>
> 73 from Ian GM3SEK
> http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

John Ragle
Several of us have raised this issue previously. It is one I feel VERY
strongly about, and I believe I categorized the need to dedicate a
display to the P3 as a disastrous and completely wrong-headed decision.
There is no way I can dedicate shack space to yet another (a 3rd)
monitor just for the pleasure of the P3, and the situation, as it
stands, pretty much insures that I will not purchase the SVGA adapter.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

/=====/

On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> What I would like more is the ability to export that SVGA info somehow to
> my PC so I can put it in a WINDOW on my 30 inch display instead of having
> to dedicate a display to it. There's no place to put the second dedicated
> monitor except to far left or far right.
>
> 73, Guy.

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

John Ragle
Bill...you need to re-read K2AV's email to the list. The point is NOT to
make the P3 require a dedicated monitor...an A/B switch does nothing to
change the present situation...

John Ragle -- W1ZI

/=====/

On 1/14/2012 4:32 PM, Bill Adams wrote:

> Isn't it possible to use an A B switch to share a monitor between the
> P3 and computer?
>
> Bill AF4B
>
> -----Original Message----- From: John Ragle
> Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:16 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now
> available to order
>
> Several of us have raised this issue previously. It is one I feel VERY
> strongly about, and I believe I categorized the need to dedicate a
> display to the P3 as a disastrous and completely wrong-headed decision.
> There is no way I can dedicate shack space to yet another (a 3rd)
> monitor just for the pleasure of the P3, and the situation, as it
> stands, pretty much insures that I will not purchase the SVGA adapter.
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI
>
> /=====/
>
> On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>> What I would like more is the ability to export that SVGA info
>> somehow to
>> my PC so I can put it in a WINDOW on my 30 inch display instead of
>> having
>> to dedicate a display to it. There's no place to put the second
>> dedicated
>> monitor except to far left or far right.
>>
>> 73, Guy.

Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

John Ragle
The "decision" goes back to the earliest stage of design of the
interface. It is my personal opinion that Elecraft made the wrong choice
at the bifurcation of paths in the design process. An interface of the
type mentioned by K2AV would have greatly increased utility -- broader
applicability -- than the simpler one that requires a dedicated monitor.
As far as I am aware, there was never a "vote" (as you put it) taken on
this point...it was summarily decided by Elecraft that the P3 would
require a dedicated monitor. I am not suggesting that "design" be
generally done by "vote," just that in this case, "windowing" the output
makes much more sense.

As far as being a "little" option goes, perhaps you should examine the
posted price -- it is scarcely a little option -- it is about 35% of the
price of the P3 itself, and when an el cheapo monitor is added on, it
begins to be more like 50% of the cost of the P3.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

/=====/

On 1/14/2012 4:34 PM, Brian Fernandez wrote:

> The strength of your feeling on the issue registers but ........ why
> is it a "disastrous" decision? It is just a little option you can use
> or not use. If it does not help you, you can stick with the P3 itself.
> Nobody is forcing you to do anything. And if a lot of folks do not buy
> it, the company will survive. I just do not get why you feel so
> stromgly about a small option. Wrong headed? That suggests the company
> is going down the wrong road. If they see a market and address it, why
> is that wrongheaded? I like the idea and am buying one. But just
> because we voted differently on this one technical- financial issue is
> one thing. But I do not understand why it will cause Elecraft to
> crumble if your point of view is not selected or if you do not "win".
>
> Brian
> K1BRF
>
> On Saturday, January 14, 2012, John Ragle <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > Several of us have raised this issue previously. It is one I feel VERY
> > strongly about, and I believe I categorized the need to dedicate a
> > display to the P3 as a disastrous and completely wrong-headed decision.
> > There is no way I can dedicate shack space to yet another (a 3rd)
> > monitor just for the pleasure of the P3, and the situation, as it
> > stands, pretty much insures that I will not purchase the SVGA adapter.
> >
> > John Ragle -- W1ZI
> >
> > /=====/
> >
> > On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> >> What I would like more is the ability to export that SVGA info
> somehow to
> >> my PC so I can put it in a WINDOW on my 30 inch display instead of
> having
> >> to dedicate a display to it. There's no place to put the second
> dedicated
> >> monitor except to far left or far right.
> >>
> >> 73, Guy.

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

John,

The P3 does not requires a dedicated monitor.  The SVGA adapter offers
the opportunity to use a larger, higher resolution, dedicated monitor
as an alternative to the built-in display.

You are becoming rather one-note about your desire for a windowed
display on your computer.  If you want a windowed display, get an
SDR-IQ with SpectraVue or get LP-Pan with "son of PowerSDR".  Either
of those solutions provide *exactly* what you want at a much lower
cost than the P3/SVGA combination.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 1/14/2012 4:41 PM, John Ragle wrote:

> Bill...you need to re-read K2AV's email to the list. The point is NOT to
> make the P3 require a dedicated monitor...an A/B switch does nothing to
> change the present situation...
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI
>
> /=====/
>
> On 1/14/2012 4:32 PM, Bill Adams wrote:
>> Isn't it possible to use an A B switch to share a monitor between the
>> P3 and computer?
>>
>> Bill AF4B
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: John Ragle
>> Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:16 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now
>> available to order
>>
>> Several of us have raised this issue previously. It is one I feel VERY
>> strongly about, and I believe I categorized the need to dedicate a
>> display to the P3 as a disastrous and completely wrong-headed decision.
>> There is no way I can dedicate shack space to yet another (a 3rd)
>> monitor just for the pleasure of the P3, and the situation, as it
>> stands, pretty much insures that I will not purchase the SVGA adapter.
>>
>> John Ragle -- W1ZI
>>
>> /=====/
>>
>> On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>>> What I would like more is the ability to export that SVGA info
>>> somehow to
>>> my PC so I can put it in a WINDOW on my 30 inch display instead of
>>> having
>>> to dedicate a display to it. There's no place to put the second
>>> dedicated
>>> monitor except to far left or far right.
>>>
>>> 73, Guy.

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
That is why I am looking for an SVGA frame grabber. Found several USB
ones, an Ethernet one, and several pci versions. Some with streaming
video software. Just searched on SVGA frame grapper and SVGA capture.

Other was was to use the Picture in Picture feature of my monitor but
then the PC would not know it is there.

73, tom n4zp

On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> What I would like more is the ability to export that SVGA info somehow to
> my PC so I can put it in a WINDOW on my 30 inch display instead of having
> to dedicate a display to it. There's no place to put the second dedicated
> monitor except to far left or far right.
>
> 73, Guy.

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

Doug Turnbull
Gentlemen,
    We are losing the run of ourselves.   A design decision has been made
and executed by the principals of the company.  Maybe sometime in future a
further option will be added but lets now fall out.   We all are
disappointed at times when our pets are not adopted, the remote pod in my
case.   Time to move on and hope someday Elecraft can please us all, all the
time.   No sense in getting annoyed with each other.

               73 Doug EI2CN

Several of us have raised this issue previously. It is one I feel VERY
strongly about, and I believe I categorized the need to dedicate a
display to the P3 as a disastrous and completely wrong-headed decision.
There is no way I can dedicate shack space to yet another (a 3rd)
monitor just for the pleasure of the P3, and the situation, as it
stands, pretty much insures that I will not purchase the SVGA adapter.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

/=====/

On 1/14/2012 3:46 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> What I would like more is the ability to export that SVGA info somehow to
> my PC so I can put it in a WINDOW on my 30 inch display instead of having
> to dedicate a display to it. There's no place to put the second dedicated
> monitor except to far left or far right.
>
> 73, Guy.

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

alsopb
What would be nice is a detachable P3 display.  Just mount the LCD
portion anywhere you want.  This would help us desk space challenged
guys lots.  The guts of the P3 could also then be taken off the desk top.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 1/14/2012 21:59, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> John,
>
> The P3 does not requires a dedicated monitor.  The SVGA adapter offers
> the opportunity to use a larger, higher resolution, dedicated monitor
> as an alternative to the built-in display.
>
> You are becoming rather one-note about your desire for a windowed
> display on your computer.  If you want a windowed display, get an
> SDR-IQ with SpectraVue or get LP-Pan with "son of PowerSDR".  Either
> of those solutions provide *exactly* what you want at a much lower
> cost than the P3/SVGA combination.
>
> 73,
>
>      ... Joe, W4TV

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

AB3EN
If you are unhappy with the way the new P3 adapter is designed you might want to check this gear out. http://www.rgb.com/products/DualView2/

For me, I think it will work fine as designed.

73
AB3EN

Dan AB3EN

Re: P3 SVGA Adapter with FFT Processor now available to order

John Ragle
Dan...

     Thanks very much for the information...the "DualView" unit looks
excellent, as do the others...

John Ragle -- W1ZI

/=====/