P3/SVGA Beta Firmware 1.24/1.14 Now Available

P3/SVGA Beta Firmware 1.24/1.14 Now Available

Paul Saffren N6HZ
P3SVGA_0124_0114.zip  has been placed in the Elecraft P3 Beta firmware directory, located at ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/P3/firmware/beta/

You should be using the latest version of P3 Utility, version 1.12.10.4 which is available HERE

Here are the release notes for these builds:

P3SVGA 01.14 / 01-18-2013

    Red transmit cursor is a lighter shade.
    Added additional query of K3 during TX which should eliminate screen freeze when using MicroHam and other programs.
    Power computation routines now run under the optimizer resulting in faster screen updates.
    Two 1900x1080 resolutions are supported to work across a larger number of monitors.
    Added support for USB thumb drives (Mass Storage Devices) for screen shots and saving SVGA data terminal setup, macros and text messages.  Most thumb drives are supported.
    Screen shots are saved in .bmp format using the filename convention nnnnnnn.bmp .  The filename is incremented after every screen. Due to lack of a real time clock, the file date & time is hard coded to 11-01-2010 9:00 am .
    Saving to the USB stick can be aborted by either pulling the stick, or by pressing the MENU key on the P3.
    Added display of an onscreen message when a USB device (keyboard or MSD) is attached and detached.
    An uppercase M or K is now displayed in the lower right side of the data window status bar when a mass storage device or keyboard is attached.
    Fixed frequency display bug when transverter frequency is > 4 GHz
    Fixed bug in which top of markers & cursors were blanked over right and left frequency labels.
    Waterfall display no longer clears when changing between fixed tune and tracking modes.
    Fixed a bug that caused the VFO B cursor to suddenly vanish off the left side of the screen.
    Rebuilt all FPGA files using a new file format, and set their versions to 1.04.

MCU 01.24 / 1-18-2013

    Added an SVGA menu option to store a bitmap copy of the external monitor screen to a USB mass storage device.
    Added SVGA menu options to save and restore the SVGA module's state to a USB mass storage device.
    Added an alternate 1920x1080 external display resolution that works better on some monitors.
    Eliminated extra characters on the display in certain circumstances when the SPAN adjustment is active and a span-set function key is pressed.
    The maximum SCALE value is properly clipped to 80 dB when changing SPAN with Menu:SpanScale set to "REF LVL &SCALE".
    Tweaked many parameter-setting routines to tune a little more slowly.
    Increased the memory depth of the algorithm that prevents false knob rotation when pressing the knob switch.
    Fixed a bug that caused an occasional wrong cursor width due to a missing mode command from the K3 when the SVGA is in data mode.
    The #RVS and #RVF commands respond properly if the SVGA option is not present (99.99) or has only boot-load firmware installed (00.00).
    The SVGA is reset after a firmware download to prevent an incorrect response to the #RVS command.
    The #FXT command properly sets the external SVGA as well as the main display.
    Fixed a bug involving downloading K3 firmware when the SVGA data display mode is enabled.
    Fixed a bug that could cause the external SVGA display to lock up when turning the knob on the P3.

73,

Paul

--
Paul Saffren - N6HZ
Project Manager
831-763-4211 x122
www.elecraft.com

Re: P3/SVGA Beta Firmware 1.24/1.14 Now Available

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Paul,

When posting beta updates on the P3 will you please identify what
changes are applicable to be base P3 and which require the SVGA
add-on so those who don't have the junior DMU can avoid updates
that do nothing for the P3?

> Added additional query of K3 during TX which should eliminate screen
> freeze when using MicroHam and other programs.

What "screen freeze" with microHAM?  I've been running the P3 with
microHAM interfaces since the first P3 with no freeze other than
the normal "no update" during transmit.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 1/18/2013 8:46 PM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:

> [...]
> rotation when pressing the knob switch.
>      Fixed a bug that caused an occasional wrong cursor width due to a
> missing mode command from the K3 when the SVGA is in data mode.
>      The #RVS and #RVF commands respond properly if the SVGA option is not
> present (99.99) or has only boot-load firmware installed (00.00).
>      The SVGA is reset after a firmware download to prevent an incorrect
> response to the #RVS command.
>      The #FXT command properly sets the external SVGA as well as the main
> display.
>      Fixed a bug involving downloading K3 firmware when the SVGA data display
> mode is enabled.
>      Fixed a bug that could cause the external SVGA display to lock up when
> turning the knob on the P3.
>

> 73,
>
> Paul

Re: P3/SVGA Beta Firmware 1.24/1.14 Now Available

Hi Joe,

The list of changes is usually split to show both the P3 and SVGA.  I believe the example you gave was listed under the SVGA changes, so if you don't  have an SVGA that would not apply to you.   Normally I list the  P3 MCU feature list first, followed by the P3SVGA list, this time I reversed it.   Sorry for the confusion.

73,

Paul

Re: P3/SVGA Beta Firmware 1.24/1.14 Now Available

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Paul,

The item I asked about was second on the list.  Since the last item on
the list was reformatting of the FPGA files which I assume is a SVGA
only issue, I'm doubly confused.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 1/19/2013 10:05 AM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> The list of changes is usually split to show both the P3 and SVGA.  I
> believe the example you gave was listed under the SVGA changes, so if you
> don't  have an SVGA that would not apply to you.   Normally I list the  P3
> MCU feature list first, followed by the P3SVGA list, this time I reversed
> it.   Sorry for the confusion.
>
> 73,
>
> Paul

Re: P3/SVGA Beta Firmware 1.24/1.14 Now Available

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Joe,

About half way down you should see the line:  MCU 01.24 / 1-18-2013
All the items listed  under that heading refer to changes in the P3 itself.  Ignore any that refer to the SVGA if you do not have that option installed.

73,

Paul

P3 Firmware Checksum failure

Paul M Dunphy
     I decided to upgrade my P3 to the latest beta firmware.  I'm using
the recommended utility 1.12.10.4 on COM4: at 38400 bit/s.

     I tried numerous times with the 1.24 MCU firmware (I don't have the
SVGA option, so I just selected the 1.24 MPU box.)  It seems to load
(blue progress bar on the utility program as well as a progress bar on
the P3's screen.)  However, as soon as it finishes, I get on the P3 display:

P3 BOOT LOADER
CHECKSUM TEST
FAILED CHECKSUM
READY FOR DOWNLOAD"

     I tried power cycling the P3 and also both the P3 and the K3 (as
this has seemed to cure problems for others.)  However, I always got the
above error.  Thinking it might be something with 1.24, I tried to put
1.20 back.  It behaves exactly the same . . . appears to load as
indicated by the progress bar on the program and the P3 screen, but then
it gives the same error above.  I've somehow managed to make the P3
nonfunctional.

     I'd be happy to get it to work with 1.20.   My K3 still works fine,
and the "Test Communications" button on the P3 utility program succeeds
with "P3 waiting for firmware load. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/s" message.

     Any suggestions?

73, Paul VE1DX
__

P3 Firmware Checksum failure - Supplemental

Paul M Dunphy
      I have the additional information from the P3 Utility program if
that is a further clue:

Elecraft P3 Utility Version 1.12.10.4
OS Version 6.1 Build 7601 Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2
P3 MCU version ??.??. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/s.
MCU firmware file checksum reconciliation word is 0x00427142
Attempting to contact P3 on port COM4 at 38400 bit/s
Sending firmware file C:\Users\DunphyP\AppData\Roaming\Elecraft\P3
Firmware\p3m0120.hex to MCU
Error code 0xE2000048: No response to poll while synchronizing to buffer
boundary
MCU verification failed. Reload MCU.
Click "Close" to close this window

     I get this every time I upload the file to the P3.

73, Paul VE1DX

Re: P3 Firmware Checksum failure - Supplemental

Bill K9YEQ
Looks to me like you do not have a connection via the USB to RS232.  Try
restarting your PC.  Then find a port with the P3 utility that demonstrates
you are connected.  I just did the update with no issues.  I did have to
find the correct port, as the port assignments can change based on the
amount of stuff you have hooked up and the order in which they are
reassigned.  I run a W2, K3, P3, Kat500, KX3, etc.  Hope that helps you
understand the potential issue with the ports and that sometimes they get
reassigned.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

On 1/19/2013 7:40 PM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:

> Looks to me like you do not have a connection via the USB to RS232.  Try
> restarting your PC.  Then find a port with the P3 utility that demonstrates
> you are connected.  I just did the update with no issues.  I did have to
> find the correct port, as the port assignments can change based on the
> amount of stuff you have hooked up and the order in which they are
> reassigned.  I run a W2, K3, P3, Kat500, KX3, etc.  Hope that helps you
> understand the potential issue with the ports and that sometimes they get
> reassigned.
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Hi Bill,

      Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't have a USB to RS232
connection, but rather a real DB9 Port.  I'm pretty sure it is the
correct port.  I know Windows can reassign ports at times, and I think I
have eliminated that.

     The reason I believe that to be so is because with the P3 Utility
program, on the Ports tab, the Test Communications button returns the
message "P3 Waiting for firmware load. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/sec." when
clicked.

      Also, when I direct the P3 utility to "Send Checked Items to P3"
(with MCU checked) under the Firmware tab, a progress bar appears on the
utility program and works its way across the window, taking about a
minute.  Simultaneously with this, a white progress bar appears on the
P3 screen.  When they both complete after about a minute, that is when
the P3 displays:

P3 BOOT LOADER
CHECKSUM TEST
FAILED CHECKSUM
READY FOR DOWNLOAD

    I have repeated this process a number of times.  I have power cycled
the P3 and K2, and rebooted my PC.  I also disconnected the P3 from the
K3 so that the RS232 DB-9 cable is connected to the P3 only, and not
daisy chained further to the K3.  Every combination behaves
consistently, giving the minute long wait with the P3 utility program
and the P3 progress bars progressing as I would expect.  Then the P3
display indicates a checksum error and says it is "READY FOR DOWNLOAD."
The P3 Utility program seems to time out and display the following after
5-10 seconds:

Error code 0xE2000048: No response to poll while synchronizing to buffer
boundary
MCU verification failed. Reload MCU.
Click "Close" to close this window

     It's possible it is a communications problem or port mixup, but if
it is, I can't understand why the P3 unit's progress bar would respond
to the upload.

     I will pass all of this information along to Elecraft support. I
was hoping someone else has encountered this, but it seems unique to
me.  Everything worked fine until I tried to upgrade from firmware
version 1.20 to 1.24.

73, Paul VE1DX

Re: P3 Firmware Checksum failure - Supplemental

Bill K9YEQ
Paul,  Perhaps the downloaded firmware failed.  Download a fresh copy and
try it.  This could happen with a time out or hyper busy internet
connection, or, virus.

> [...]

error and says it is "READY FOR DOWNLOAD."
The P3 Utility program seems to time out and display the following after
5-10 seconds:

Error code 0xE2000048: No response to poll while synchronizing to buffer
boundary MCU verification failed. Reload MCU.
Click "Close" to close this window

     It's possible it is a communications problem or port mixup, but if it
is, I can't understand why the P3 unit's progress bar would respond to the
upload.

     I will pass all of this information along to Elecraft support. I was
hoping someone else has encountered this, but it seems unique to me.
Everything worked fine until I tried to upgrade from firmware version 1.20
to 1.24.

73, Paul VE1DX

Re: P3 Firmware Checksum failure - Supplemental

LA8AW
I just did the upgrade to my P3 with the SVGA card, without any issues.

PC with a "real" RS-232 port, Windows7 64-bit, P3 Utility 1.12.4.26

First I did the upgrade to 1.20, then to the 1.24 Beta.

No problems - maybe an idea to downgrade the P3 utility?

_____________________

73 de LA8AW - Odd-Egil
_____________________

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Bill K9YEQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,  Perhaps the downloaded firmware failed.  Download a fresh copy and
> try it.  This could happen with a time out or hyper busy internet
> connection, or, virus.
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

Nick_L
The same here, no SVGA card installed but I didn't
check MCU box (loaded full set). No problem with upgrading at all.
It may happen check sum test failed as you loaded MCU only.

73, Nick VE3FJ