P3 SVGA Keyboard

dfine01
Don't want to be pushy, but now that we have the KAT 500 on the burner so to
speak, I wonder when will we be seeing something about the keyboard and
additional software applications for the P3/SVGA?  W0DF

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi David,

I'm currently working on the USB keyboard option for the P3.  I can't give an exact release date, but I'm guessing in the next month or two.   Do you currently run much data and if so, what mode?

73,

Paul

David Fine wrote
Don't want to be pushy, but now that we have the KAT 500 on the burner so to
speak, I wonder when will we be seeing something about the keyboard and
additional software applications for the P3/SVGA?  W0DF

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

WB4SON
Hey Paul,

Nice to hear you are onto the P3 USB Interface.  I've never been 100% clear
on the proposed "future" capabilities, so I've been dreaming (which is good
but scary).

I'd love to see PSK31 & 63 support, RTTY, plus Olivia, as well as CW.  JT65
would be cool, but may not be possible in a commercial product (and Joe
Taylor has taken ill recently -- however he was working with the HDR people
towards integrating with them, so maybe commercial is possible).

In terms of blue sky, it would be nice to have keyboard support for
multiple memories as well as an incrementing serial number register.

In terms of the minimum PSK31, RTTY 45.45, and CW xmit and receive.

And I would hope that this could function with the P3 screen by itself
(without requiring adding an additional monitor)

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Rick Prather-2
Wow,

And I was visualizing the keyboard for use with just the current modes supported by the K3.

I would like to be able to read RTTY and PSK on the outboard VGA display as an extension of the scrolling on the K3 main display and the keyboard for sending instead of the paddles.

Anything else will require an interface with the shack computer and If I am going to do that there is a host of software available to handle those modes.

Rick
K6LE

On 5/21/2012, at 10:00 , Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Paul,
>
> Nice to hear you are onto the P3 USB Interface.  I've never been 100% clear
> on the proposed "future" capabilities, so I've been dreaming (which is good
> but scary).
>
> I'd love to see PSK31 & 63 support, RTTY, plus Olivia, as well as CW.  JT65
> would be cool, but may not be possible in a commercial product (and Joe
> Taylor has taken ill recently -- however he was working with the HDR people
> towards integrating with them, so maybe commercial is possible).
>
> In terms of blue sky, it would be nice to have keyboard support for
> multiple memories as well as an incrementing serial number register.
>
> In terms of the minimum PSK31, RTTY 45.45, and CW xmit and receive.
>
> And I would hope that this could function with the P3 screen by itself
> (without requiring adding an additional monitor)
>
> 73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

WB4SON
Rick, why would expanding to PSK63 require access to a PC?  I would assume
there is more than enough signal processing within the P3 and K3 to deal
with that -- but maybe that wasn't the original intent (to do more work in
the P3).  Clearly if an external PC is required that would defeat the
purpose (so that might rule out Olivia, or JT65).  And using just the P3
display as the decode area, in addition to the external display would be
ideal (don't need a bigger display if you don't want one).

PSK63 is starting to be used by more DX stations (sadly in my opinion).

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Rick Prather-2
I enjoy PSK63 but rarely run across it.  However, I suspect that re-doing the K3 firmware to include PSK63 is not in Paul's intended area.

I just hope he can get the existing K3 modes working for now, we can hope for adding other modes to the K3 later.

Rick
K6LE

On 5/21/2012, at 11:24 , Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rick, why would expanding to PSK63 require access to a PC?  I would assume there is more than enough signal processing within the P3 and K3 to deal with that -- but maybe that wasn't the original intent (to do more work in the P3).  Clearly if an external PC is required that would defeat the purpose (so that might rule out Olivia, or JT65).  And using just the P3 display as the decode area, in addition to the external display would be ideal (don't need a bigger display if you don't want one).
>
> PSK63 is starting to be used by more DX stations (sadly in my opinion).
>
> 73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Don Wilhelm-4
Paul,

More specific please - is that limited to PSK-D and FSK-D modes?
I am making the assumption that the keyboard will not run DATA A or AFSK
sub-modes.

On 5/21/2012 2:48 PM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:
> The P3/SVGA keyboard is designed to work with the data modes currently
> available on the K3.
>
> 73,
>
> Paul

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Don,

There is no additional signal processing being done on the P3/SVGA to
support other digital modes.  The P3/SVGA USB Keyboard is just that, a
keyboard input device that can be used to send data to the K3.  Data
decoded from the K3 is fed back to the SVGA for display.    Think of a
similar user experience with a computer running the K3 Utility,  under
the Terminal tab, only no computer.   The P3 will also get data display,
with or without an attached keyboard.

73,

Paul

--
Paul Saffren - n6hz
Firmware Engineer

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Hi Paul,

I do a lot of digital modes. having a keyboard PSK31 and RTTY interface
would be a nice complement to the K3 CW paddle interface. Being able to
read on the P3 display ( either or both SVGA and P3) also would be the
match for me.

Mostly I run much more robust modes as part of NBEMS. Olivia and MT63
mostly. But for those OK to use outboard computer.

73, tom n4zpt

On 5/21/2012 12:23 PM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I'm currently working on the USB keyboard option for the P3.  I can't give
> an exact release date, but I'm guessing in the next month or two.   Do you
> currently run much data and if so, what mode?
>
> 73,
>
> Paul
>

> David Fine wrote
>>
>> Don't want to be pushy, but now that we have the KAT 500 on the burner so
>> speak, I wonder when will we be seeing something about the keyboard and
>> additional software applications for the P3/SVGA?  W0DF

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Works for me Paul. 73, tom n4zpt

On 5/21/2012 2:48 PM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:

> The P3/SVGA keyboard is designed to work with the data modes currently
> available on the K3.
>
> 73,
>
> Paul
>

> WB4SON wrote
>>
>> Hey Paul,
>>
>> Nice to hear you are onto the P3 USB Interface.  I've never been 100%
>> clear
>> on the proposed "future" capabilities, so I've been dreaming (which is
>> good
>> but scary).
>>
>> I'd love to see PSK31&  63 support, RTTY, plus Olivia, as well as CW.
>> JT65
>> would be cool, but may not be possible in a commercial product (and Joe
>> Taylor has taken ill recently -- however he was working with the HDR
>> people
>> towards integrating with them, so maybe commercial is possible).
>>
>> In terms of blue sky, it would be nice to have keyboard support for
>> multiple memories as well as an incrementing serial number register.
>>
>> In terms of the minimum PSK31, RTTY 45.45, and CW xmit and receive.
>>
>> And I would hope that this could function with the P3 screen by itself
>> (without requiring adding an additional monitor)
>>
>> 73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

N2TK
So, to use an external keyboard we need to buy the SVGA interface? Does
anyone if there are any plans to provide an active keyboard port without
buying the SVGA capability?
Is there anything else we need to do to plug the keyboard into the USB port
on the SVGA card?

Tnx
N2TK, Tony

On 5/21/2012 2:48 PM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:

> The P3/SVGA keyboard is designed to work with the data modes currently
> available on the K3.
>
> 73,
>
> Paul
>

> WB4SON wrote
>>
>> Hey Paul,
>>
>> Nice to hear you are onto the P3 USB Interface.  I've never been 100%
>> clear on the proposed "future" capabilities, so I've been dreaming
>> (which is good but scary).
>>
>> I'd love to see PSK31&  63 support, RTTY, plus Olivia, as well as CW.
>> JT65
>> would be cool, but may not be possible in a commercial product (and
>> Joe Taylor has taken ill recently -- however he was working with the
>> HDR people towards integrating with them, so maybe commercial is
>> possible).
>>
>> In terms of blue sky, it would be nice to have keyboard support for
>> multiple memories as well as an incrementing serial number register.
>>
>> In terms of the minimum PSK31, RTTY 45.45, and CW xmit and receive.
>>
>> And I would hope that this could function with the P3 screen by
>> itself (without requiring adding an additional monitor)
>>
>> 73, Bob, WB4SON
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Tony,

Yes, in order to use the USB keyboard on the P3 you will need to install the SVGA option.   The SVGA board has the USB port.  Once installed, a USB keyboard can then be plugged in directly.  Nothing else is needed.

73,

Paul

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

KH7T
I hope your definition of keyboard data modes includes keyboard cw.

John KH7T

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi John,

Yes of course, CW is included!

It's probably not a good idea to keep talking about the USB keyboard as
some sort of 'datamode' option for the P3/SVGA.   It really is just a
keyboard that can be plugged into the P3, and then the P3/SVGA becomes a
data terminal much like how the K3 terminal utility works on a computer,
only there isn't a computer.   It's all contained in the P3/SVGA.

73,

Paul

--
Paul Saffren - n6hz
Firmware Engineer

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Bob Cunnings NW8L
Will the P3 get data display without the need to install the P3SVGA?
This would be nice for those who don't need the external monitor or
want to use a keyboard, but are happy to use paddles in PSK-D mode...
that VFO B area is pretty cramped.

Bob NW8L

... The P3 will also get data display,
with or without an attached keyboard.

73,

Paul

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Alan Bloom
Yes, that's the plan.  Probably we'll get it working on the SVGA first
then the P3 display later.

Alan N1AL

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 20:51 -0600, Bob Cunnings wrote:

> Will the P3 get data display without the need to install the P3SVGA?
> This would be nice for those who don't need the external monitor or
> want to use a keyboard, but are happy to use paddles in PSK-D mode...
> that VFO B area is pretty cramped.
>
> Bob NW8L
>

> ... The P3 will also get data display,
> with or without an attached keyboard.
>
> 73,
>
> Paul

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

Stephen G4SJP
That's good news Alan, I've been looking forward to that.  I have no room
on my desk for another monitor.

73 Stephen G4SJP

On Tuesday, 22 May 2012, Alan Bloom wrote:

> Yes, that's the plan.  Probably we'll get it working on the SVGA first
> then the P3 display later.
>
> Alan N1AL
>

> On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 20:51 -0600, Bob Cunnings wrote:
> > Will the P3 get data display without the need to install the P3SVGA?
> > This would be nice for those who don't need the external monitor or
> > want to use a keyboard, but are happy to use paddles in PSK-D mode...
> > that VFO B area is pretty cramped.
> >
> > Bob NW8L
> >

> > ... The P3 will also get data display,
> > with or without an attached keyboard.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Paul
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email] <javascript:;>

> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <javascript:;>

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: P3 SVGA Keyboard

WB4SON
I need to issue a correction for a statement I made in an earlier post
concerning the USB Keyboard, P3, and JT65.  I incorrectly said that Joe
Taylor (the author of the protocol) had taken ill recently.  The good news
is that is not true.  The bad news is that I actually meant to say Joe
Large, the author of the JT65-HF implementation, had taken ill recently.

So my apologies to Joe Taylor, K1JT, and his many friends, for any concern
I might have caused.

And like all JT65-HF users, I continue to hope that Joe Large, W6CQZ,
continues to improve.

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON