P3 SVGA Power Requirements

Scott-2
I have read the PDF manual as published at the Elecraft website and
followed the P3SVGA threads here on the reflector am still unsure of the
power requirements other than I'll need to connect it to a power source
that supplies 700ma and the K3 aux only provides 500ma.

So, if I install the P3SVGA do I have to always use the power cord to
the non-K3 12vdc power source?  In other words, can I turn the P3SVGA
board off somewhere in the P3SVGA menu and subsequently use the K3 aux
500ma power supply?

I ask because I could envision a situation where I'd like to have the
K3&P3 and not necessarily an external monitor and power amp.  If the
answer is no, then to be clear I would have to remove the P3SVGA board
before I could use the K3 aux power outlet again.  Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
KF5MHS

Re: P3 SVGA Power Requirements

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Scott,

When the P3SVGA board is installed the K3's 12V accessory output is right on the edge of being able to supply enough current.

We are working on a mod kit for the K3 and should have it available soon.

73,

Paul

Scott wrote
[...]

ke9uw

I have the K3 plugged into the "master" outlet on one of those West Mountain Radio rigrunner strips. And the P3 with the new board is plugged in there as well as a few other things that I only want on with the K3. So...when the K3 gets turned on, the rigrunner senses the current and turns on the rest of the strip.

Chuck, KE9UW
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: P3 SVGA Power Requirements

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Chuck,

That will work too.  I've got the parts in for the mod kit, once the
instructions are completed we'll be able to get these out to all those
who want them.

-Paul

On 4/2/2012 11:20 AM, hawley, charles j jr wrote:

> I have the K3 plugged into the "master" outlet on one of those West Mountain Radio rigrunner strips. And the P3 with the new board is plugged in there as well as a few other things that I only want on with the K3. So...when the K3 gets turned on, the rigrunner senses the current and turns on the rest of the strip.
>
> Chuck, KE9UW
> aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles

Paul Saffren - n6hz
Firmware Engineer