P3 - What am I observing?

Phil Westover
My K3 and P3 are connected in the usual way (RS-232, etc.)

My K3 has a 500Hz roofing filter, and I typically set my DSP filter to 500 Hz when operating CW.

Using tonight's display, I have an approx. -150dB average noise floor on 10 meters.  I'm not exactly sure how to identify the "noise floor" using the P3, but the display (without considering signals) basically averages across the -150dB graticule.

I have the P3's span set to -1kHz to +1kHz, making each horizontal division 500 Hz.

Upon checking in to my nightly 10 meter net on 28.130, I see the net control operator's signal peak at about -100dB.

Here's my question:  What are the two "spikes" that I see about 500 Hz to each side of 28.130, approximately 25-30 dB down from the center's peak level (-125 to -130 dB)?  These spikes are above my observed floor about 20-25 dB.

It's a beautiful thing; I simply am not sure what I'm seeing.  One thing I am sure of, when you all respond with the answer, I'll bop myself in the head for not thinking about it!

Actually, I'm thinking that there is a great opportunity for someone of knowledge to write a tutorial that goes beyond the owner's manual in explaining the types of things we can see with the P3.

Another one, for instance, would be, "When I use the CWT control on the K3, why does my P3 almost always shows that the zero beat frequency is about 20-30 Hz off?" If I use Marker A to center over the observed signal's peak and trigger the P3 to move the K3's VFO to that peak, my little CWT visual indicator on the K3 shows me to be "off" by a couple of clicks.  What is that telling me?

Anyway, I sure would like to use the P3 to learn more about scans that I'm observing and how my K3/P3 combination is processing them!

73,
Phil  WA7URV

Re: P3 - What am I observing?

Rose
Hi Phil,

You may be seeing "hum" or other "noise" on his carrier.

You'll likely see the same sort of display when observing
WWV's signal when they're transmitting their tone/s.

Tune around the bands a bit and I think you'll see the double
"spikes" on quite a number of signals, regardless of mode.

Ignore the "Rose" header ... I'm using her computer for this
reply.

73! Ken - K0PP
[hidden email]