P3 "spurs" that move with tuning - resolution.

P3 "spurs" that move with tuning - resolution.

k6dgw
Original post:  While tuned to 3533, the P3 reported an S9 signal,
narrow and essentially a steady carrier down frequency 15 KHz or so.  It
moved with the VFO A cursor such that I couldn't tune to it.  I found
similar "signals" on other bands.

Geoff and I have been conversing about it off-list and the final
conclusion was that I had finally calibrated my K3 S-meter with my
service monitor, and then tried to calibrate the P3.  I was able to do
so, however I had to run the "P3 Gain" way way up to get -73 dBm on the
P3 for the S9 signal.  K3 is S/N 642 and did not have the IF level mod.
  It does now, the P3 gain is back in reasonable territory, K3 and P3
agree on signal strength, and all the "spurs" are gone.

My theory is that with the P3 gain so high, it was seeing miniscule
leakage of internal K3 signals.  Moral appears to be, if you're going to
use a P3, you need the IF level mod [K3BUFFKIT] or something like that
if your K3 doesn't already have it.  The kit replaces a single SM
resistor [R8 on the RF board].  If I can do it, anyone can.

Elecraft sent both SM and leaded resistors, I chose old school.  I found
R8 very easily, grabbed it with a small locking surgical clamp, and it
immediately broke off leaving the two pads.  I formed the resistor
leads, soldered the one end into the via, and then tacked down the other
end.  By far the hardest part was getting the K3 out of the shelf, a
dozen cables disconnected, and then reconnecting everything [correctly]
in back again.  It took several tries, and I kept wondering why is it
called "wireless?"

Incidentally, I have a small stock of surgical clamps of various types,
they are most useful electronic tools.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: P3 "spurs" that move with tuning - resolution.

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-3
Fred,

Delighted to hear that you have got rid of those "spurs" !

My hunch is that the steady carrier, which you were seeing 15 kHz down or so
on all bands, originates in the P3 rather than the K3.

73,

Geoff
LX2AO