P3SVGA - Coming soon

Edward R Cole
John,

Well it get that the P3SVGA is merely an external monitor I/F and not
an external connection to the IQ baseband.  Although that had been
discussed as a possible future option (but this isn't that).

The absence of use of the P3 as a SDR enabling operation of SDR sw on
a computer with the K3, was one reason I went with the LP-Pan.  I
needed the ability to export the K3 IF to SDR sw for projects I am
working on so the P3's single-use design did not satisfy
that.  Likewise, I could not justify the P3 cost on that basis (but
sure that it is very nice).  I also have no issue using my computer
screen for panadaptor display.

So not necessarily a disaster as I could chose.  If I had bought a P3
expecting that I/F, then I might consider it a "disaster".  But I
think that would be more a case of poor product research and planning
on my part.  Eventual addition of such an I/F for the P3 would be
excellent enhancement in my opinion.  That fits the same philosophy
of having embedded 2m transverters and other features internalized
rather than requiring a collection of different devices for each application.

That is why I am interested in the embedded 2m transverter for the
KX3.  I would guess the embedded tuner in the KX3 fits the same
concept.  But it is near impossible to expect to get everything
"under the hood" (unless you happen to own a '69 Shelby Cobra!).

73, Ed - KL7uW

------------------------------

Message: 31
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:33:32 -0500
From: John Ragle <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] P3SVGA - Coming soon
To: Jim McDonald <[hidden email]>, elecraft <[hidden email]>

Based on 2 responses to my query about the P3 display, I would have to
say this is an absolute design disaster. It kills completely my interest
in the product. I had envisioned a hardware card that would communicate
with software running on the PC, not something that required a dedicated
monitor. I think the product needs some serious re-thinking.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45