P3SVGA Display

Phil Hystad-3
There sure seems to be a lot of interest in the P3SVGA display.  I had ignored most of this traffic because I just could not see the purpose in having a larger display.  But, with so much interest, I am curious if I am missing something obvious.

Question: is there a technical or operating advantage to the larger screen?

I also do not use any computers with my radios although I have my iMac-24, a Macbook Pro 17 laptop, iPad, and iPhone within easy reach.  Also, I do not have any SVGA displays and would probably have to rearrange the rig bench to fit one in besides buying it.  So, I would be interested in hearing what other's are doing with the larger screen.  I presume that it is dedicated since it seems to have its own SVGA connector.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: P3SVGA Display

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
At 1920x1080 you can see 4.7x the span for the same Hz per dot frequency
resolution as the smaller internal P3 display.    A 200 kHz span at 1920
wide shows the same level of detail per dot as about a 43 kHz span would
on the smaller P3 display.

Also, with more vertical lines the waterfall covers a much longer time
period.

It also looks -really- cool.. ;-)

73, Eric

www.elecraft.com

On 12/17/2011 12:38 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
> There sure seems to be a lot of interest in the P3SVGA display.  I had ignored most of this traffic because I just could not see the purpose in having a larger display.  But, with so much interest, I am curious if I am missing something obvious.
>
> Question: is there a technical or operating advantage to the larger screen?
>
> I also do not use any computers with my radios although I have my iMac-24, a Macbook Pro 17 laptop, iPad, and iPhone within easy reach.  Also, I do not have any SVGA displays and would probably have to rearrange the rig bench to fit one in besides buying it.  So, I would be interested in hearing what other's are doing with the larger screen.  I presume that it is dedicated since it seems to have its own SVGA connector.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: P3SVGA Display

gm3sek
Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

>Also, with more vertical lines the waterfall covers a much longer time
>period.

Will the waterfall also cover the same time period as at present, but
with better resolution of keyclicks and other transients? (That is
presently a major shortfall of the P3 compared with other SDRs.)

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: P3SVGA Display

Alan Bloom
On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 22:22 +0000, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
> >
> >Also, with more vertical lines the waterfall covers a much longer time
> >period.
> >
> Will the waterfall also cover the same time period as at present, but
> with better resolution of keyclicks and other transients? (That is
> presently a major shortfall of the P3 compared with other SDRs.)

Each line of the waterfall corresponds to one screen update of the
spectrum.  You can slow down the waterfall (to get a longer history) by
setting a slower update rate in the menu.  The maximum update rate of
the SVGA is still being optimized.  The goal is to have it at least as
fast as the main P3.  Even at that rate, the SVGA waterfall will tend to
show a longer history simply because of the increased resolution (i.e.
it can have more lines of waterfall).

Alan N1AL

Re: P3SVGA Display

David Gilbert

I don't own a P3, but if I did I'd like to have the option to make the
waterfall scroll from right to left like CW Skimmer does in Blind Mode.
With a bit of practice, you can teach yourself to visually decode CW
(assuming the resolution is adequate) sufficiently to catch a missing
character without having to ask for a repeat.  Having the display scroll
right to left makes the CW string read left to right like most of us
would more readily grasp.  I'm not saying that a vertical scroll is a
LOT more difficult to read ... only that horizontal is more intuitive.

73,
Dave   AB7E