P3SVGA

Nr4c
Well, it arrived today and I went to work and installed it.  Instructions
are clear and the installation went well.  Board install took about 10
minutes or so.  Most time spent making a new power cord for the P3 as the
new adapter increases the drain by 200 mA and now exceeds the 500 allowed
from the K3 12v out port.  Now you must turn on the P3 manually, doesn't
seem to be controlled by the K3 anymore.

First impressions:  Well, I have an old HP monitor, and it works well at
1268X1024.  This provides a nice image, sharp and clear.  P3 resolution is
much better, but no additional features at this time so main advantage is
bigger image.  I think I like the "fill" under the trace, gives a better
view of the wave shape being displayed.

All in all, I like it, but I'm waiting now for more firmware features.

Good job, Elecraft.

...bill   nr4c

Re: P3SVGA

Mike K2MK
Hi Bill,

Your comment about the 12V is the first I've heard that the P3 won't be able to be powered by the K3 12V output. Did the installation instructions specifically indicate that the P3 will require a separate power source or was that your decision? I can't find those instructions on the Elecraft webpage.

73,
Mike K2MK

nr4c wrote
Well, it arrived today and I went to work and installed it.  Instructions
are clear and the installation went well.  Board install took about 10
minutes or so.  Most time spent making a new power cord for the P3 as the
new adapter increases the drain by 200 mA and now exceeds the 500 allowed
from the K3 12v out port.  Now you must turn on the P3 manually, doesn't
seem to be controlled by the K3 anymore.

First impressions:  Well, I have an old HP monitor, and it works well at
1268X1024.  This provides a nice image, sharp and clear.  P3 resolution is
much better, but no additional features at this time so main advantage is
bigger image.  I think I like the "fill" under the trace, gives a better
view of the wave shape being displayed.

All in all, I like it, but I'm waiting now for more firmware features.

Good job, Elecraft.

...bill   nr4c

Re: P3SVGA

Nr4c
It's in the instructions with the board.  They did indicate the P3/SVGA
could be powered from the K3, but it might shut down suddenly if it drew too
much power and the resettable fuse in the K3 would open.  It's too easy to
crimp another PP and add a "M" DC connector.  The old P3 power cord goes in
the 'portable' bag.

So far, it's real nice but I think when a contest comes up, I'll add that
real estate back to the computer for N1MM, and just use the old P3.  Until
they flush out the features, I need more area on the computer and not have
two screens showing the same information.

BUT IT'S REAL COOL!!!!!

...bill  nr4c

Your comment about the 12V is the first I've heard that the P3 won't be able
to be powered by the K3 12V output. Did the installation instructions
specifically indicate that the P3 will require a separate power source or
was that your decision? I can't find those instructions on the Elecraft
webpage.

73,
Mike K2MK

nr4c wrote

> Well, it arrived today and I went to work and installed it.  Instructions
> are clear and the installation went well.  Board install took about 10
> minutes or so.  Most time spent making a new power cord for the P3 as the
> new adapter increases the drain by 200 mA and now exceeds the 500 allowed
> from the K3 12v out port.  Now you must turn on the P3 manually, doesn't
> seem to be controlled by the K3 anymore.
>
> First impressions:  Well, I have an old HP monitor, and it works well at
> 1268X1024.  This provides a nice image, sharp and clear.  P3 resolution is
> much better, but no additional features at this time so main advantage is
> bigger image.  I think I like the "fill" under the trace, gives a better
> view of the wave shape being displayed.
>
> All in all, I like it, but I'm waiting now for more firmware features.
>
> Good job, Elecraft.
>
> ...bill   nr4c

Re: P3SVGA

Matt Zilmer
I can confirm that the instructions are correct, that the P3 will
eventually power down if powered from the K3's aux power feed.  I
checked all that out earlier.  Takes about 45 minutes for the thermal
self-resetting fuse to trip.

AND YES!  It's real cool!!!

73,
matt W6NIA

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:08:34 -0400, you wrote:

>It's in the instructions with the board.  They did indicate the P3/SVGA
>could be powered from the K3, but it might shut down suddenly if it drew too
>much power and the resettable fuse in the K3 would open.  It's too easy to
>crimp another PP and add a "M" DC connector.  The old P3 power cord goes in
>the 'portable' bag.
>
>So far, it's real nice but I think when a contest comes up, I'll add that
>real estate back to the computer for N1MM, and just use the old P3.  Until
>they flush out the features, I need more area on the computer and not have
>two screens showing the same information.
>
>BUT IT'S REAL COOL!!!!!
>
>...bill  nr4c

Re: P3SVGA

Mike K2MK
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the information. I haven't received my shipping notice yet but I'd thought I'd get prepared. I found a 12V, 1.25 amp wall wart in the junk box that seems to work well with the P3 (less the SVGA card) so I'm hoping that does the trick when I add the card.

73,
Mike K2MK

nr4c wrote
It's in the instructions with the board.  They did indicate the P3/SVGA
could be powered from the K3, but it might shut down suddenly if it drew too
much power and the resettable fuse in the K3 would open.  It's too easy to
crimp another PP and add a "M" DC connector.  The old P3 power cord goes in
the 'portable' bag.

So far, it's real nice but I think when a contest comes up, I'll add that
real estate back to the computer for N1MM, and just use the old P3.  Until
they flush out the features, I need more area on the computer and not have
two screens showing the same information.

BUT IT'S REAL COOL!!!!!

...bill  nr4c

Re: P3SVGA

Nr4c
I had a APP splitter under the table, so I used that to power the P3,
but the simplest would be to split off a pigtail from the APP connector
at the back of the K3, and use it to power the P3.  And, besides, this
gives me a 12 volt line to power my LED light bar that mounts on the top
front screws of the K3, and illuminates the front panel for operations
like Field Day after dark.

...bill  nr4c

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:06:23 -0700 (PDT), Mike K2MK wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Thanks for the information. I haven't received my shipping notice yet
> but
> I'd thought I'd get prepared. I found a 12V, 1.25 amp wall wart in
> the junk
> box that seems to work well with the P3 (less the SVGA card) so I'm
> hoping
> that does the trick when I add the card.
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> nr4c wrote
>>
>> It's in the instructions with the board.  They did indicate the
>> P3/SVGA
>> could be powered from the K3, but it might shut down suddenly if it
>> drew
>> too
>> much power and the resettable fuse in the K3 would open.  It's too
>> easy to
>> crimp another PP and add a "M" DC connector.  The old P3 power cord
>> goes
>> in
>> the 'portable' bag.
>>
>> So far, it's real nice but I think when a contest comes up, I'll add
>> that
>> real estate back to the computer for N1MM, and just use the old P3.
>> Until
>> they flush out the features, I need more area on the computer and
>> not have
>> two screens showing the same information.
>>
>> BUT IT'S REAL COOL!!!!!
>>
>> ...bill  nr4c

Re: P3SVGA

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Bill,

We're going to start shipping a 6' 2.1MM power cable with every P3SVGA board ordered. The other end of the cable is bare and can be used to connect the P3 directly to your 12V mains. This should start by tomorrow or the next day.  If your SVGA hasn't shipped yet, there'll be one in the box.  Anyone who has already received their SVGA board can simply contact the factory and we'll send one out.

73,

Paul (n6hz)

nr4c wrote
It's in the instructions with the board.  They did indicate the P3/SVGA
could be powered from the K3, but it might shut down suddenly if it drew too
much power and the resettable fuse in the K3 would open.  It's too easy to
crimp another PP and add a "M" DC connector.  The old P3 power cord goes in
the 'portable' bag.

So far, it's real nice but I think when a contest comes up, I'll add that
real estate back to the computer for N1MM, and just use the old P3.  Until
they flush out the features, I need more area on the computer and not have
two screens showing the same information.

BUT IT'S REAL COOL!!!!!

...bill  nr4c

Your comment about the 12V is the first I've heard that the P3 won't be able
to be powered by the K3 12V output. Did the installation instructions
specifically indicate that the P3 will require a separate power source or
was that your decision? I can't find those instructions on the Elecraft
webpage.

73,
Mike K2MK

nr4c wrote

> Well, it arrived today and I went to work and installed it.  Instructions
> are clear and the installation went well.  Board install took about 10
> minutes or so.  Most time spent making a new power cord for the P3 as the
> new adapter increases the drain by 200 mA and now exceeds the 500 allowed
> from the K3 12v out port.  Now you must turn on the P3 manually, doesn't
> seem to be controlled by the K3 anymore.
>
> First impressions:  Well, I have an old HP monitor, and it works well at
> 1268X1024.  This provides a nice image, sharp and clear.  P3 resolution is
> much better, but no additional features at this time so main advantage is
> bigger image.  I think I like the "fill" under the trace, gives a better
> view of the wave shape being displayed.
>
> All in all, I like it, but I'm waiting now for more firmware features.
>
> Good job, Elecraft.
>
> ...bill   nr4c

Re: P3SVGA

Mike K2MK
Hi Paul,

I'm curious about circuit protection. If I connect this cable directly to my 35 amp 12V power supply is there any over current protection within the P3? I understand that the cable itself might go up in smoke but at the present time I'm only really worried about the P3.

73,
Mike K2MK

Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote
Hi Bill,

We're going to start shipping a 6' 2.1MM power cable with every P3SVGA board ordered. The other end of the cable is bare and can be used to connect the P3 directly to your 12V mains. This should start by tomorrow or the next day.  If your SVGA hasn't shipped yet, there'll be one in the box.  Anyone who has already received their SVGA board can simply contact the factory and we'll send one out.

73,

Paul (n6hz)

Re: P3SVGA

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
I connected mine to a 1 amp fuse position in my power pole strip.

Am going to look around for or build a power pole strip controlled by
the position where I plug in to power my K3. That way the peripherals
come on when I power up the K3.  For the moment, just pushing the power
button.

73, tom n4zpt

On 3/14/2012 4:52 PM, Mike K2MK wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I'm curious about circuit protection. If I connect this cable directly to my
> 35 amp 12V power supply is there any over current protection within the P3?
> I understand that the cable itself might go up in smoke but at the present
> time I'm only really worried about the P3.
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> We're going to start shipping a 6' 2.1MM power cable with every P3SVGA
>> board ordered. The other end of the cable is bare and can be used to
>> connect the P3 directly to your 12V mains. This should start by tomorrow
>> or the next day.  If your SVGA hasn't shipped yet, there'll be one in the
>> box.  Anyone who has already received their SVGA board can simply contact
>> the factory and we'll send one out.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Paul (n6hz)

Re: P3SVGA

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Mike,

The 12 DC input to the P3 is connected internally to two DC/DC converters.  These both have over current protection and limit at less than 1/2 amp each.  Probably worst case is 1 amp.  Of course if the cable itself shorts out or the regulators somehow short at their inputs we would exceed that.  Certainly putting an external fuse inline with the P3 power supply wouldn't hurt.

73,

Paul