PC not talking CAT to K2

MW0RSS
Hi all

My CAT control has stopped working and I hope someone can help. Sequence of events is as follows -

Fitted KIO2 and made CAT cable - this worked

Bought XV-50 and extended cable - this worked

Bought XV-144 and extended cable further - this worked

Entered offset frequency for XV-144 - CAT stopped working

The K2 still controls the transverters OK but my computer won't talk to the K2.

Checked connections in all RS-232 plugs - all fine.

Tried three different computers and several different programs (DM780, WSJT-X, fldigi etc.) - none of these work.

Tried different COM port (know to be a working port).

Removed KIO2 and re-made several solder joints that looked suspect.

Still no joy. I have also noticed that my CW side-tone has disappeard.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks, Pete MW0RSS

Re: PC not talking CAT to K2

Don Wilhelm
Pete,

First, the wire connections to the transverters is quite separate from
the TXD and RXD communications to the PC.

However, your loss of sidetone and the loss of connection to the PC are
related.
You have firmware that is less than the 2.04r level (likely 2.04P) which
allows you to change the sidetone source - that was in place to support
older K2s.

Go to the K2 menu and select STL - set it for a level that will allow
you to hear the sidetone with no difficulty - I recommend 40.
Then tap DISPLAY which will toggle the sidetone source.  When you hear
sidetone, exit the menu by tapping MENU twice.  The sidetone source must
be U8-4.

You should then have both sidetone and communications with the PC.

On 2/17/2017 5:56 PM, MW0RSS wrote:

> Hi all
>
> My CAT control has stopped working and I hope someone can help. Sequence of
> events is as follows -
>
> Fitted KIO2 and made CAT cable - this worked
>
> Bought XV-50 and extended cable - this worked
>
> Bought XV-144 and extended cable further - this worked
>
> Entered offset frequency for XV-144 - CAT stopped working
>
> The K2 still controls the transverters OK but my computer won't talk to the
> K2.
>
> Checked connections in all RS-232 plugs - all fine.
>
> Tried three different computers and several different programs (DM780,
> WSJT-X, fldigi etc.) - none of these work.
>
> Tried different COM port (know to be a working port).
>
> Removed KIO2 and re-made several solder joints that looked suspect.
>
> Still no joy. I have also noticed that my CW side-tone has disappeard.

Message delivered to [hidden email]