PSK 31

Ron Midwin
Gentlemen:

I've been playing around with PSK-31 and can sort of get it working, using
the K-3 and the Elecraft software.  I am able to send by typing text into
the software, and someone on the same frequency can hear and copy me.  I was
having difficulty copying him, even thought I was hear his warble.

I also have a copy of HRD, which is quite complicated to use, so I've put
that off, even though I hear great things about it.

My question is, does anyone have an application note; PSK-31 on a K-3 for
dummies, that would give me a simple way to play with it?

I've used PSK-31 before on a previous 746 Pro and a Tigertronics USB box,
and it worked fine.  I was able to see the waterfall on my computer screen
and could select a signal by clicking on the signal on the display.  Not
sure if I can still do this using elecraft software?

I have my K-3 connected to my laptop computer with a USB-serial adapter,
which works fine.  Do I need to use the sound card in my laptop too?

Thanks,

Ron

AE6RH

S/N 1997

Ron Midwin

Re: PSK 31

KK7P
  > I've used PSK-31 before on a previous 746 Pro and a Tigertronics USB
box,
> and it worked fine.  I was able to see the waterfall on my computer screen
> and could select a signal by clicking on the signal on the display.  Not
> sure if I can still do this using elecraft software?

Use the same PC software you used then.  Use the computer soundcard and
the LINE In and LINE OUT connections between the K3 and your PC instead
of the Tigertronics box.  If you still have the Tigertronics box, you
can certainly use it, of course.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: PSK 31

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Ron AE6RH wrote:
> I've been playing around with PSK-31 and can sort of get it working, using
> the K-3 and the Elecraft software.  I am able to send by typing text into
> the software, and someone on the same frequency can hear and copy me.  I was
> having difficulty copying him, even thought I was hear his warble.

If you're using the PSK mode on the K3, try pressing XFIL and keeping
the signal in audible by tuning.  When you get to your narrowest filter,
start going down to about 200Hz, and then press the Spot button; this
should auto tune.  Narrow again down to 100Hz and then start tuning up
and down in single Hz increments until the copy is the best.  It will be
in the +/- 5Hz range from where the Spot auto puts you.
> I also have a copy of HRD, which is quite complicated to use, so I've put
> that off, even though I hear great things about it.

HRD/DM780 has a somewhat full-featured UI; there are other programs with
more complex ones, and some with simpler.  Try fldigi (I work on it) and
see if it strikes your fancy.  If not, try DigiPan and then move up from
there.
> My question is, does anyone have an application note; PSK-31 on a K-3 for
> dummies, that would give me a simple way to play with it?

Use two shielded cables to hook the K3 LINE in/out on the back of the K3
to your sound card.
Hook your RS232 cable up to your computer and your K3 if you have one.
Make sure you disable Windows sounds.
Install DM780, fldigi, or DigiPan.
Hold TEST to make sure you don't accidentally transmit.

You should be able to receive fine at this point and observe the
protocol.  Once you're happy with what you know, it's time to transmit.
Your biggest question is how to key the rig.  If all else fails, you can
just tap the K3's XMIT button when you want to transmit and tap it again
when done.  This will get you on the air pretty quick, with nothing but
the the two audio cables.

fldigi at least can be configured to use the RS232 commands to
transmit.  It can use the RS232 commands to read the VFO as well.
With the others you may have to futz with some settings about which
additional line (DTR, RTS, etc.) to use to cause the K3 to transmit.
With PSK there's no real advantage to using one of these extra lines on
the serial cable to transmit, and there are some disadvantages.
But the good news is that you definitely don't need a special interface
or cable.

Once you decide which program you like best, join the users group for it
(bulletin board, mailing list, what have you) and you'll find more
specific help there.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

> I've used PSK-31 before on a previous 746 Pro and a Tigertronics USB box,
> and it worked fine.  I was able to see the waterfall on my computer screen
> and could select a signal by clicking on the signal on the display.  Not
> sure if I can still do this using elecraft software?
>

> I have my K-3 connected to my laptop computer with a USB-serial adapter,
> which works fine.  Do I need to use the sound card in my laptop too?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ron
>
> AE6RH
>
> S/N 1997

Re: PSK 31

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
More tips:

Make sure you've updated to the latest beta firmware (3.06).. Then hold
DISP to get the ALC display. Set power to 15W or so (or 10 if you have
the K3/10). Adjust the LINE knob (right of the RX RF Gain knob) until
the bars reach teh frist big ALC bar, #5.
Leigh/WA5ZNU
> Ron AE6RH wrote:
>
>> I've been playing around with PSK-31 and can sort of get it working, using
>> the K-3 and the Elecraft software.  I am able to send by typing text

Re: PSK 31

Richard Davis-5
For the "novice/apprentice" PSK31 operator the best starter text I have
seen is:

      Nifty E-Z Guide to PSK31 Operation

      Bernie Lafrenierer, N6FN
      2008, Nifty Ham Accessories
      www.niftyaccessories.com

In 64 pages it will get you out of the starting gate with a winning
weight.  The main discussion uses the Digipan software as the teaching
platform.

You will be fully successful with this reference.

If you are upgrading your K3 with a PC then that connection is already done.

The only other connections, two of them, use standard 1/8" STEREO male
plug on each end cables.

After that it is all software and a few configuration setups on the K3.

I worked more DX on 20 meters last weekend on the standard PSK31 base
frequency than I ever had before  since I got my K3 last year.

Have fun....

Richard
K5BWV

Re: PSK 31

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
I looked through this guide at  Radiofest in Monterey, CA and it looked
good.
Leigh/WA5ZNU

> For the "novice/apprentice" PSK31 operator the best starter text I
> have seen is:
>
>      Nifty E-Z Guide to PSK31 Operation
>
>      Bernie Lafrenierer, N6FN
>      2008, Nifty Ham Accessories
>      www.niftyaccessories.com
>
> In 64 pages it will get you out of the starting gate with a winning
> weight.  The main discussion uses the Digipan software as the teaching
> platform.
>
> You will be fully successful with this reference.
>
> If you are upgrading your K3 with a PC then that connection is already
> done.
>
> The only other connections, two of them, use standard 1/8" STEREO male
> plug on each end cables.
>
> After that it is all software and a few configuration setups on the K3.
>
> I worked more DX on 20 meters last weekend on the standard PSK31 base
> frequency than I ever had before  since I got my K3 last year.
>
> Have fun....
>
> Richard
> K5BWV

Re: PSK 31

hb9ari@bluewin.ch
Ron,

For PSK31 i use Digipan since many years and HRD since ~ 1 year; if you
want to have
a waterfall display, i think that "external" software, PC and sound card
are a necessity.
I've just tried to work PSK31 with  my K3 (#1212), no problem with RX,
but i find
that transmitting is less easy, it's my point of vue, than using Digipan
(for example);
i find it easy to use and we have also a "panoramic" sight of in filter
band adjacent
stations. I also appreciate the "Tune" mode of Digipan; after one year
of HRD use,
i don't find the equivalent function...

73 QRO de Rudolf, HB9ARI

PS  No relation with Digipan writer(s), just a very satisfied user!

Ron Midwin wrote:

> Gentlemen:
>

> I've been playing around with PSK-31 and can sort of get it working, using
> the K-3 and the Elecraft software.  I am able to send by typing text into
> the software, and someone on the same frequency can hear and copy me.  I was
> having difficulty copying him, even thought I was hear his warble.
>

> I also have a copy of HRD, which is quite complicated to use, so I've put
> that off, even though I hear great things about it.
>

> My question is, does anyone have an application note; PSK-31 on a K-3 for
> dummies, that would give me a simple way to play with it?
>

> I've used PSK-31 before on a previous 746 Pro and a Tigertronics USB box,
> and it worked fine.  I was able to see the waterfall on my computer screen
> and could select a signal by clicking on the signal on the display.  Not
> sure if I can still do this using elecraft software?
>

> I have my K-3 connected to my laptop computer with a USB-serial adapter,
> which works fine.  Do I need to use the sound card in my laptop too?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Ron
>
> AE6RH
>
> S/N 1997
>

> Ron Midwin

Re: PSK 31

hb9ari@bluewin.ch
Ron,

Serial connection is used for K3 control.
You should connect the "LINE-OUT" at the
rear of the K3 to the Line or Mic inp
of your Sound Card (internal or external);
this is the audio path for receiving PSK31;
you should connect the Line-out or Spkr out
of the the above sound card to the "IN-LINE"
connector at the rear of the K3; this is the path
for audio when you transmit PSK31; i've not
my K3 User Manual by me, but you can find
how to select the correct mode for the K3's
"IN-LINE-OUT" connector usage.
You should also adjust the RX/TX
audio levels and find the best compromise
between K3 and Sound Card levels settings.
As you have worked before with PSK31,
i'm sure you will be able to find the best
settings with the K3.

73 QRO de Rudolf, HB9ARI