PSK 31

DBellW6AQ
What's the simplest system for using PSK 31 with the K2?  I'm using a
Toshiba laptop as my computer, which talks great to the K2 using Writelog and  the
W5XD Multikeyer, and also works well on SSB using the Windows soundboard for
macros.  Thanks and 73, Dave, W6AQ

Re: PSK 31

hank  k8dd-2
Although you could build one that would work, I have a RigBlaster
/nomic.  Pretty much plug and play - small, simple, travels real well
and works fine with Digipan or any of the popular PSK RTTY, etc
program.  And you can drop it and even step on it (don't ask) and it
keeps on working!

73    Hank    K8DD

--

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
 level then beat you  with experience.'           -anon

RE: PSK 31

Rich Lentz
I have had very good luck with the Rascal interface. Got the kit and picked
one that supplied an 8 pin mike connector. Wired up to be compatible to my
mike wiring.  I am also using MixW2 - well worth the $50!- MixW2 controls
bands, frequency and puts the data in the mini (big enough for me) log.
MixW2 also has ready made "contest" logs, ask someone else about these as I
am not a contester.  I selected RST for PTT/CW Key, used a larger interface
box than BuxComm provided and added a DB-9 connector.  This is wired to pass
through the CAT signals (ONLY PASS THESE THROUGH unless you want to replace
the MCU and K2IO!!!) which allows me complete control of the K2.  You would
want to select your PTT/CW-Key output based upon the needs of your programs.
DigiPan is free and sufficient for PSK-31, not sure if it provides K2
control signals.  I am now using (perfecting) a completely optical isolation
interface which is in the prototype stage. Some people have had luck without
isolation of the audio signals - with a laptop you might be lucky.

Rich,
KE0X

RE: PSK 31

Dave,

The simplest system for receiving PSK31 is just a cable with a 1.8 inch
phone plug on each end - plug one end into the K2 external speaker jack, and
the other end into your sound card.

For transmitting, you need a cable from your soundcard (1/8 inch plug) to
the audio input (mic jack) of the transceiver - an attenuator in this cable
is normally required to bring the soundcard output down to normal microphone
level.

With these two cables, one can do PSK31, but the transmit/receive switching
will be manual.  To use the switching provide by most PSK31 programs, you
will need a simple transistor switch from the computer's serial port to
activate the transceiver PTT line.

Of course, if your computer is noisy, some form of isolation may be
required - transformers from old computer modem cards work great, or if you
want to be a bit more 'fancy', use optoisolators in the lines.

There you have the essentials.  There are several interface boxes out there
that you can buy, and their instruction manual should tell you how to
connect everything - but it is easy to homebrew as well.  Look at the
Switchbox article on my website www.qsl.net/w3fpr for some additional ideas.

ac0h
[hidden email] wrote:

> What's the simplest system for using PSK 31 with the K2?  I'm using a
> Toshiba laptop as my computer, which talks great to the K2 using Writelog and  the
> W5XD Multikeyer, and also works well on SSB using the Windows soundboard for
> macros.  Thanks and 73, Dave, W6AQ

Hi Dave,

For a stand alone PSK31 app I'd suggest Digipan 2.0. It's free and
simple to setup.
For the "swiss army knife" of digi mode software I'd suggest MixW 2.0.
It's shareware, more capable, more modes, and more complicated to setup.
As long as you've got the W5XD Multikeyer working with the K2 in SSB
mode you should be good to go.

--
R. Kevin Stover ACØH

K2/100 #4684

Reclaim Your Inbox!

RE: PSK 31

Don Wilhelm-3
OK, I covered the hardware only in my prior post, but for software -- Don't
overlook the Ham Radio Deluxe suite - You can have just PSK31 (PSK31
Deluxe -the 'SuperBrowser' is a neat feature), or go for the full blown K2
control interface.  All freeware.  A great set of programs thanks to Simon
and Peter -- see http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/ for more information.