Polling noise

Steve L.-3
I have an up-to-date K2 w/ the 100W amp.

In the instructions it says you should slow the CAT
update to once every 2-3 seconds to reduce notice of
the slight noise you'll hear when it does a RX/TX on
the CAT port.

Sure enough, I can hear it but only in dummy load or
when the band is *totally* quiet. During a contest?!?!
Fuggetaboutit!

I also hear wideband S3 noise around 14.203-9 MHz with
the antenna disconnected I didn't hear before the 100W
amp was installed, but I haven't investigated this at
all yet. Sometimes birdies go away when you connect an
antenna?

Fly away, birdies.

73, Steve N4SL Snohomish,WA USA

Re: Polling noise

Hisashi T Fujinaka
Depends on the noise. The computer I'm using for logging has no serial
port and it uses a USB->Serial converter. Puts a nice signal on 14.195,
the DX calling frequency. That's not Elecraft's fault.

However, there are some birdies that are. Up at my friend's QTH, the
background noise is so low that you can hear all sorts of things, like
the spur the DSP puts on the 220 calling frequency when using the
transverter. Others have found several in band.

Yeah, there are birdies, just like the rest of my radios.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]

Re: Polling noise

Gregory P. Daly
Todd:

     It doesn't sound like a bird to me, more like crickets....
Fortunately, it only happens when you display the DSP status, probably
from serial bus activity... if it were there all the time, I'd be mad,
since I spend a lot of time listening to 222.1

;-)

73 DE WB7RSG

Greg