Portable vertical antenna

Ken Kirkley-3
I do quite a bit of camping during the summer months. Part of the campgrounds that I use do not allow wires to be attached to the trees. Therefore, I am in need of a good vertical that I can use with my KX1. To reduce cost, I am looking to build one myself. Any suggestions!

God Bless,
Ken/NO4D

RE: Portable vertical antenna

Richard Klingensmith
Try this vertical at
http://www.amqrp.org/projects/stluisvert/STLV%20Project.html. I haven't
built this one, but it looks interesting. I also have the URL for a buddie
pole like antenna that I have built which works 10 through 20 meters. Try
http://www.qsl.net/w3ff/antenna design.htm for that one. I believe June's
issue of QST had a protable vertical using 2 Radio Shack 72 inch telescopic
antennas too.

Rick
WA3TUU

>From: "Ken Kirkley" <[hidden email]>
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [Elecraft] Portable vertical antenna
>Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:58:12 -0400
>
>I do quite a bit of camping during the summer months. Part of the
>campgrounds that I use do not allow wires to be attached to the trees.
>Therefore, I am in need of a good vertical that I can use with my KX1. To
>reduce cost, I am looking to build one myself. Any suggestions!
>
>God Bless,
>Ken/NO4D

Re: Portable vertical antenna

Jeff Davis-26
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:58:12 -0400, Ken Kirkley wrote:
> I do quite a bit of camping during the summer months. Part of the
> campgrounds that I use do not allow wires to be attached to the
> trees. Therefore, I am in need of a good vertical that I can use
> with my KX1. To reduce cost, I am looking to build one myself. Any
> suggestions!

Hello Ken,

Myself and KB9ZUR spent a few hours this afternoon working Field Day
from a picnic site behind the place where he works. He had two
telescoping poles with him. We lashed them to whatever we could find,
tied a wire on one and pushed it up. One was 24 ft and one was 36 ft.

With that and a short counterpoise wire laying on the ground we were
working all over the US on 20 and 40 meters. I was using a K2 and he was
using a KX1.

When the poles were collapsed they were only about 42 inches long and
would be easy to tote along with your camping gear.

I don't see how you could get an easier or more cost effective setup
than that.

Good luck and hope to work you from the trail sometime!

Vy 73 de Jeff, KE9V
K2 #524 KX1 #717

Re: Portable vertical antenna

Rich Ardolino
Take a look at the Pac-12 : http://www.njqrp.org/pac-12/index.html

Rich  K2CPE
K2 #1102

>Subject: [Elecraft] Portable vertical antenna

> I am in need of a good vertical that I can use with my KX1. To reduce
cost, I am looking to build >one myself. Any suggestions!

Re: Portable vertical antenna

John Pfeifer-2
I've been using the Vertical Black Widow Fishing Pole Antenna (VBWFPA) made by
WA3WSJ.  Works great for me!  You can check it out at: http://www.WA3WSJ.com/

John Pfeifer - KL0WN
Kodiak, AK