Posting

Locked 11 messages Options

Posting

Jim Danehy-3
My Elecraft mailing is received once a day. I see a lot of wasted space in many of the posts. Let me suggest that when responding to a specific email that you take a minute to edit YOUR reply. If you want to reference the email you are responding to that is fine BUT you DO NOT need to quote the entire message. Just have the first sentence from the original message quoted. Go delete the remainder. Folks will know what you are talking about. I save the daily list for future reference.

Some of the longer initial messages get repeated a couple of times  . . . . unnecessary duplication.

W9VNE
Jim Danehy
Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Posting

Thomas M. Beaudry
As the gentleman said.  Netiquette (Internet etiquette) specifies that
you quote the minimum necessary for your reply to be understood.  Not
everyone has unlimited 'Net access for a fixed price.  When I'm in YS,
I have to pay the ISP both for the bytes downloaded and the time
connected.  Add to that the phone company charges me by the minute.  It
gets expensive fast.

Another hint:  Make the first line of your signature "-- " (two dashes
and a space).  This is the standard for indicating the start of a
signature and some email clients can handle them differently than the
rest of the message.

--
73 de Thomas M. Beaudry
K8LA / YS1ZTM

Re: Posting

Brian Mury-3
On Sat, 2004-27-11 at 02:41 -0500, Thomas Beaudry wrote:
> As the gentleman said.  Netiquette (Internet etiquette) specifies that
> you quote the minimum necessary for your reply to be understood.

Netiquette also says you shouldn't top post - which is posting your
reply above the quoted text. It can get confusing when there are replies
nessted several layers deep.

A: Because we read from top to bottom.
Q: Why not top post?

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Posting

Don Wilhelm-3
Brian,

Netiquette or not, I prefer to read responses that have the new text on
top - the subject and my memory (I do read most all the posts on this
reflector) are usually sufficient to tell me what I need to know about the
prior information.  Scrolling down to find the latest response is a waste of
time IMHO.  In a few cases, such as when the original poster asks several
questions, the most expediant thing to do is put the answer to each part in
line with the question - but that is not the normal case.  For my part,
please put your response at the beginning. (and yes, do strip out as much of
the extra stuff as is reasonable - the person you are responding to knows
what he asked).

> Netiquette also says you shouldn't top post - which is posting your
> reply above the quoted text. It can get confusing when there are replies
> nessted several layers deep.
>
> A: Because we read from top to bottom.
> Q: Why not top post?

Re: Posting

George,  W5YR
AMEN!!

73, George W5YR
Fairview, TX
[hidden email]
http://www.w5yr.com

> Netiquette or not, I prefer to read responses that have the new text on
> top - the subject and my memory (I do read most all the posts on this
> reflector) are usually sufficient to tell me what I need to know about the
> prior information.  Scrolling down to find the latest response is a waste
of
> time IMHO.  In a few cases, such as when the original poster asks several
> questions, the most expediant thing to do is put the answer to each part
in
> line with the question - but that is not the normal case.  For my part,
> please put your response at the beginning. (and yes, do strip out as much
of

> the extra stuff as is reasonable - the person you are responding to knows
> what he asked).
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Re: Posting

Phil Wheeler-2
Of course, one advantage of bottom posting (not my preference, BTW) is
that the trailing "sponsor msgs" get seen and deleted.

73, Phil

George, W5YR wrote:

>AMEN!!
>
>73, George W5YR
>Fairview, TX
>[hidden email]
>http://www.w5yr.com

Re: Posting

Brian Mury-3
On Sat, 2004-27-11 at 19:27 -0500, W3FPR - Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Netiquette or not, I prefer to read responses that have the new text on
> top

Etiquette or not, I prefer to pick my nose in expensive restaurants -
but I don't, because that's how society works, and like it or not, I'm a
part of that society. It's the same reason I don't say "10-4 good
buddy!" on ham radio.

> the subject and my memory are usually sufficient to tell me what I need
> to know about the prior information.

I receive anywhere from 500 to 1000 emails a day. The subject and my
memory are often not sufficient. A *short, trimmed* quote above the new
comments does a very good job of putting things in context.

This is especially true in an active discussion, where there are lots of
replies, and replies to replies, etc. It can quickly become very
confusing to know exactly who and what someone is replying to if they
top post.

>  Scrolling down to find the latest response is a waste of time IMHO.

Scrolling down (having to search for the right spot), then reading
downwards, then scrolling back up a bit (having to search for the right
spot again), and reading downwards again, then scrolling back up a bit
(having to search for the right spot), and reading downwards, etc... is
a bigger waste of time, not to mention being a pain.

> For my part, please put your response at  the beginning.

Sorry, I will continue to bottom post - as I should.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Posting

Jess Gypin
Can I be impolite and top post that this is enough of this?

Jess
> On Sat, 2004-27-11 at 19:27 -0500, W3FPR - Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Netiquette or not, I prefer to read responses that have the new text on
>> top
>
> Etiquette or not, I prefer to pick my nose in expensive restaurants -
> but I don't, because that's how society works, and like it or not, I'm a
> part of that society. It's the same reason I don't say "10-4 good
> buddy!" on ham radio.
>
>> the subject and my memory are usually sufficient to tell me what I need
>> to know about the prior information.
>
> I receive anywhere from 500 to 1000 emails a day. The subject and my
> memory are often not sufficient. A *short, trimmed* quote above the new
> comments does a very good job of putting things in context.
>
> This is especially true in an active discussion, where there are lots of
> replies, and replies to replies, etc. It can quickly become very
> confusing to know exactly who and what someone is replying to if they
> top post.
>
>>  Scrolling down to find the latest response is a waste of time IMHO.
>
> Scrolling down (having to search for the right spot), then reading
> downwards, then scrolling back up a bit (having to search for the right
> spot again), and reading downwards again, then scrolling back up a bit
> (having to search for the right spot), and reading downwards, etc... is
> a bigger waste of time, not to mention being a pain.
>
>> For my part, please put your response at  the beginning.
>
> Sorry, I will continue to bottom post - as I should.
>
> --
> 73, Brian
> VE7NGR

RE: Posting

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
One of the firm rules of the Elecraft reflector is that there is ONE and
ONLY ONE person who sets the rules and polices the posts. That's Eric.

I have a hunch he's enjoying a Thanksgiving break or he'd have turned up
before this. He's usually on threads like this faster than a hound dawg on a
beefsteak.

If you have a suggestion or gripe about the way the reflector or the way the
posts are handled, I suggest that you send him a personal note.

Ron AC7AC

Re: Posting

Trev - K6ESE-2
My thoughts exactly Ron...starting to sound a bit like QRP-L  ;-)

BTW Guys...I dropped QSL.net and have my own domain now on a commercial
server (and it's fast and cheap!). http://www.k6ese.com

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving! I ate way too much Turkey and
Fixin's ;-)

73 Trev - K6ESE

Re: Posting - END OF THREAD

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Gee - I can't even take off for a little turkey & R&R... ;-)

Top posting is officially OK on this reflector. In fact, so is bottom
posting :-) Personally I prefer top posting as it eliminates the need to
scroll through lots of copied test to get to the meat of the message.

That brings up another guideline: On this reflector please edit copied
text down to as few lines as possible. Also don't forget to remove the
elecraft list footer from your copied text. That keeps it easy to read
and greatly reduces the size and improves the readability of our daily
digests and archives.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
Elecraft List moderator
=======