Power has disappeared

Re: Power has disappeared

Chris Kimball
Just received word from Elecraft:

"
Problem(s) found:
No Transmit, defective DSP board

Repair(s) performed:
Replaced DSP board
"

That's not what I would have guessed, but they've checked it out and it goes back today, UPS Ground.

Re: Power has disappeared

Les Butler

So far I am happy with the repair. They replaced the transistor and went through all the calibrations and it seems like it should now.

Thanks

Les

On Mon, 15 Aug, 2016 at 4:45:35 PM, Chris Kimball [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:

To: Les Butler
Just received word from Elecraft:

"
Problem(s) found:
No Transmit, defective DSP board

Repair(s) performed:
Replaced DSP board
"

That's not what I would have guessed, but they've checked it out and it goes back today, UPS Ground.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Power-has-disappeared-tp7620735p7621627.html
To unsubscribe from Power has disappeared, click here.
NAML

Re: Power has disappeared

Kevin - K4VD
It always seems slightly less than satisfying to be told what broke but not
how it might have broke. I always think back to the Navy six step
troubleshooting method drilled into me in ET "A" school. The final step was
always failure analysis.

Then again, knowing it is fixed and on the way home and I'd get over it all
pretty quickly. :)

73,
Kev

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Chris Kimball <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just received word from Elecraft:
>
> "
> Problem(s) found:
> No Transmit, defective DSP board
>
> Repair(s) performed:
> Replaced DSP board
> "
>
> That's not what I would have guessed, but they've checked it out and it
> goes
> back today, UPS Ground.

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Power has disappeared

Don Wilhelm
Kev,

While full failure analysis is a nice thing to do, it often takes
significant lab equipment to fully analyze the failure point - and
increases the time to repair (and cost to the customer).
With dense SMD boards, the problem of failure analysis is compounded
exponentially.  It is not feasible in all cases to give a 'cause and
effect' analysis.  The best the technician can do in a reasonable amount
of time is to venture a WAG (wild a** guess).

On 8/15/2016 8:39 PM, Kevin - K4VD wrote:
> It always seems slightly less than satisfying to be told what broke but not
> how it might have broke. I always think back to the Navy six step
> troubleshooting method drilled into me in ET "A" school. The final step was
> always failure analysis.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Power has disappeared

Chris Kimball

Twelve minutes after the announcement by UPS that:

08/15/2016 4:25 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I received a cancellation from UPS:

08/15/2016 4:37 P.M. Voided Information Received

I asked Elecraft on 16 Aug what happened and have not had a reply.

Re: Power has disappeared

Phil Wheeler-2
So that means your power over Elecraft and UPS has disappeared?

Phil W7OX

On 8/20/16 13:27 , Chris Kimball wrote:

> Twelve minutes after the announcement by UPS that:
>
> 08/15/2016 4:25 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
>
> I received a cancellation from UPS:
>
> 08/15/2016 4:37 P.M. Voided Information Received
>
> I asked Elecraft on 16 Aug what happened and have not had a reply.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Power has disappeared *** OOPs! ***

Chris Kimball

I just received a note from UPS that a package from Elecraft will arrive tomorrow, presumably, the K3S.

On closer checking UPS sent two ship notifications to me on 15 Aug.  I thought they were duplicates, but they had different numbers,  Only one of them was cancelled, however.  The uncancelled one will arrive tomorrow.

OOPS!

Re: Power has disappeared *** OOPs! ***

Chris Kimball

My K3S is back and has worked properly for 10 days now.  Thanks to all for the helpful comments.
12