QRP field day

Robert 'RC' Conley
I hope Jessie will forgive me for reposting his Email, but now that we
have a whole year
to plan for the next field day maybe now is the time to do this.
---------------------
From: Jessie Oberreuter
Date: Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Subject:  QRP FD
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
         We used to run FD at 100w.  Half a dozen years back, I talked the
    group into trying a QRP FD, and we had mixed results.  We switched back
    and forth a few times, and ultimately found that our scores didn't change,
    but, in general, we enjoyed the QRP FDs more -- especially once we added
    PSK31.  IMHO, operating FD QRP is actually a lot more fun b/c it's easier
    to set up and tear down, easier to avoid QRMing your own operators, and,
    if you traditionally use generators, it's also much quieter.  Your
    contacts are worth more, and we get a kick out of operating simple radios.
         If you're considering a QRP FD, here are some further points and
    suggestions for your club's consideration:

         * Running QRP is a great way to reduce the QRM from your own
    operators :).

         * The solar contacts are great bonuses, and those of us with low
    power radios often find ourselves running solar for most of the day.  We
    have a separate set of power plugs for solar, so anyone who wants to run
    it can, and we try to each make at least five rather than just making five
    as a group.

         * We try to collectively earn a WAS.  Not only does this create a
    group goal (rather than competing for most contacts), it also gives folks
    an incentive to move on from hard to make contacts and seek out other
    contact opportunities.

         * Bring outboard filters if you have 'em -- they can really make a
    difference.  Try different antenna directions and orientations -- it can
    make a huge difference in background noise.  Use of separate tx and rx
    antennas can also offer a huge improvement in noise reduction, and adding
    support for split tx/rx to your field radios can be a great club project!
    Folks often think that a clear, but relatively quiet station won't hear a
    QRP signal.  Don't be so sure!  It's S/N, not power, that makes the
    difference :).  The more stations you can hear, the more stations you can
    potentially work!

         * Don't forget the digital modes!  PSK31 has been serving us well.
    Don't forget VHF!  A 6m opening can be a life changing experience!  Don't
    forget local contacts on 80m.  You don't need to have a huge antenna and
    you don't need to fight the QRN -- just make occasional passes to collect
    locals.  Also remember that VHF isn't just 2m FM and a mag-mount.  If you
    have a 6m or 2m SSB radio to spare, bring it, and scare up a beam or make
    a simple quad -- your tech who would otherwise be trying to scrape up a
    dozen 2m FM contacts with an HT will love you!  Remember: horizontal
    polarization!

         * Be willing to work different bands.  Some folks have pet bands that
    they just won't leave even when they're not having much success.  We've
    also had folks actively avoid 20m SSB because it just seems like too much
    of a bedlam.  Again, good filters, directional antennas, and the RF Gain
    knob can make a huge difference!

         * Mentor less experienced ops -- a few simple practices can go a LONG
    way towards making contacts more successful. Sometimes it's knowing how to
    exchange numbers in other ways than just repeating 3A 3A (eg "one, two,
    three alpha"), how to use attenuation, how to note when a station is clear
    but too busy to hear you, move on, and try again later.  These are great
    points of education for members who may have never developed such skills
    because they've never needed to.

         * Leave the big shack radios in the shack :).  One of the things that
    can make FD stressful is having to tear down the home station, pack it
    into a "hostile" environment, pack it back, and then rebuild the shack.
    Many of us have our shack radios and also have several "field" radios that
    we might not otherwise consider for FD because they are lower power rigs.
    If you're operating a QRP field day, you can leave the home shack intact,
    and just bring your field radios which are also more accustomed to being
    abused.  Our FDs used to be something of a show of force, where folks
    would seemingly bring every piece of radio equipment they owned.  Now, we
    try to do the opposite and typically pack complete stations in laptop and
    camera bags.  Having extra field rigs in your ranks can also be great for
    newer members who a) may be more afraid to bring their nice base rigs into
    the field, and b) often really appreciate the opportunity to operate other
    kinds of radios.

         * With smaller, low power field radios, it's much easier to pack for
    camping as well as operating.  Small radios, batteries, solar chargers,
    and headphones all around makes for a nice break from the loud, sprawling
    technological complexities we usually live with at home, and just getting
    out of town can be a real treat.

         * A QRP FD is a great opportunity to make contacts with hand-made
    radios.  Building a qrp kit radio and making five solar contacts with it
    makes a fabulous sub-activity.

         Remember, FD doesn't need to be exclusively about the number of
    contacts.  When we tell our war stories afterwards, it's the more
    challenging or interesting contacts that we brag about!
ntacts that we brag about!

Re: QRP field day

Jim Low man
All excellent suggestions!  See other comments below:

On 6/26/2012 5:37 AM, Robert 'RC' Conley wrote:
>           * We try to collectively earn a WAS.  Not only does this create a
>      group goal (rather than competing for most contacts), it also gives folks
>      an incentive to move on from hard to make contacts and seek out other
>      contact opportunities.
I've always found it fun to try to work a "clean sweep" of all of the US
and Canadian
sections, even though there is no award for doing so as in Sweepstakes.
>           * Don't forget the digital modes!  PSK31 has been serving us well.
>      Don't forget VHF!  A 6m opening can be a life changing experience!  Don't
>      forget local contacts on 80m.  You don't need to have a huge antenna and
>      you don't need to fight the QRN -- just make occasional passes to collect
>      locals.  Also remember that VHF isn't just 2m FM and a mag-mount.  If you
>      have a 6m or 2m SSB radio to spare, bring it, and scare up a beam or make
>      a simple quad -- your tech who would otherwise be trying to scrape up a
>      dozen 2m FM contacts with an HT will love you!  Remember: horizontal
>      polarization!
Two friends and I operated 6m/2m SSB/CW QRP one year at our QRP Field
Day and had a
great time!  From 7,000' ASL we had a nice shot directly up the Central
Valley of California,
with a number of large cities from Bakersfield up to Sacramento.  If we
relocated our FD
site up another 1,000' we would also have a clear shot to LA/OC/SD and
the Inland Empire.
But getting to that site is a challenge.  It's on a ridge at the top of
a ski run.  It wouldn't be
as convenient to run into Wrightwood for supplies or meals, so we'd have
more to pack in.
Also, usually it's cold and windy enough where we usually operate.

>           * Leave the big shack radios in the shack :).  One of the things that
>      can make FD stressful is having to tear down the home station, pack it
>      into a "hostile" environment, pack it back, and then rebuild the shack.
>      Many of us have our shack radios and also have several "field" radios that
>      we might not otherwise consider for FD because they are lower power rigs.
>      If you're operating a QRP field day, you can leave the home shack intact,
>      and just bring your field radios which are also more accustomed to being
>      abused.  Our FDs used to be something of a show of force, where folks
>      would seemingly bring every piece of radio equipment they owned.  Now, we
>      try to do the opposite and typically pack complete stations in laptop and
>      camera bags.  Having extra field rigs in your ranks can also be great for
>      newer members who a) may be more afraid to bring their nice base rigs into
>      the field, and b) often really appreciate the opportunity to operate other
>      kinds of radios.
Until recently I would have subscribed to this advice, but one of our
group has brought his
K3 to the last two Field Days.  While the K3 wasn't necessarily designed
for portable
operation in the sense of the KX3, it served our 20m station well. The
fact that there are
so many K3s that go on DXpeditions attests to its durability. However,
it ran off a 100-Ah
battery that was charged by solar means.  Weighing 95 pounds, I
understand that it took
two guys to lug it to the tent.  But at 5w, it would run for a long,
long time.

Thanks to Jessie for the ideas, and to Robert for sharing.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW