QUESTION to the Group re. where to install the CW Tuning Indicator

QUESTION to the Group re. where to install the CW Tuning Indicator

Tom Hammond-3
Folks:

A question has been raised which I cannot (yet) answer. Though I hope to be
able to answer it soon...

If you installed the CW Tuning Indicator PC board in a fully-appointed K2
(KPA100,KSB2/KNB2/KDSP2), WHERE did you wind up placing it?

I'm already considering an SMD version of the device (K6XX version) but
that's a bit down the road. It'll be a bit more 'important' if I can't find
a place to install the current PC board. GROAN!

73,

Tom   N0SS

Re: QUESTION to the Group re. where to install the CW Tuning Indicator

Vic K2VCO
Tom Hammond wrote:

> A question has been raised which I cannot (yet) answer. Though I hope to
> be able to answer it soon...
>
> If you installed the CW Tuning Indicator PC board in a fully-appointed
> K2 (KPA100,KSB2/KNB2/KDSP2), WHERE did you wind up placing it?

I had one installed some time ago (the original KR5L circuit), and I want to
mention where NOT to put it:  absolutely do not put it near the plug for the
counter probe!  I had mine attached with double-sided tape on the side panel
(this was before I had the DSP, so it probably wouldn't fit there now).
Harmonics of the square-wave oscillator in the chip were picked up by the
counter circuit, which made the readings jump all over the place when I tried to
do CAL FIL.  I went absolutely NUTS before figuring out what the problem was.

So, assuming that you can find a place to put it, check to make sure that it
doesn't cause RFI to anything.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: QUESTION to the Group re. where to install the CW Tuning Indicator

Tom Hammond-3
Folks:

For your info, and the benefot of others who might be eventually installing
one of the CW Tuning Indicators in their K2, here's a note from Vic (K2VCO)
which you should read and heed!
73,

Tom   N0SS
---------------------

Tom Hammond wrote:

>A question has been raised which I cannot (yet) answer. Though I hope to
>be able to answer it soon...
>
>If you installed the CW Tuning Indicator PC board in a fully-appointed K2
>(KPA100,KSB2/KNB2/KDSP2), WHERE did you wind up placing it?

I had one installed some time ago (the original KR5L circuit), and I want
to mention where NOT to put it:  Absolutely DO NOT put it near the plug for
the counter probe!

I had mine attached with double-sided tape on the side panel (this was
before I had the DSP, so it probably wouldn't fit there now).

Harmonics of the square-wave oscillator in the chip were picked up by the
counter circuit, which made the readings jump all over the place when I
tried to do CAL FIL.

I went absolutely NUTS before figuring out what the problem was.

So, assuming that you can find a place to put it, check to make sure that
it doesn't cause RFI to anything.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

RE: QUESTION to the Group re. where to install the CW Tuning Indicator

Sverre Holm
With SMD you should be able to fit it where I put my Manhattan-style
zero-beat indicator + audio amplifier: on the back of the front panel board
above the mic connector. The advantage is that all connections go to the
front panel board so there will be no loose wires.

See http://www.qsl.net/la3za/K2/fpanelboard2.jpg
and http://www.qsl.net/la3za/K2.html

Sverre
LA3ZA