Question about P3

DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL
I have just ordered a P3 to go with my first run K3 (sn < 300).

I am wondering if the P3 "comes with" the K3 I/O Output Buffer Mod Kit
for the K3 to enhance the IF output from the K3 (a single resistor
that goes inside the K3)?

I have asked several guys a know, but the common answer so far is, "I
think so."  I'd like something a bit more concrete.  :-)

If you have a P3, recently received is better, please RSVP off line.
Does the P3 come with "the buffer kit?"

Thanks!
de Doug KR2Q

Re: Question about P3

Andrew Moore-3
Yes, the resistor does appear to come with the current P3 (at least mine
did, ordered in June 2011 or so).

It actually comes with two resistors: a surface mount one and a through-hole
one.  Use whichever is easiest for you to install.

--Andrew, NV1B
..

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 7:57 PM, DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just ordered a P3 to go with my first run K3 (sn < 300).
>
> I am wondering if the P3 "comes with" the K3 I/O Output Buffer Mod Kit
> for the K3 to enhance the IF output from the K3 (a single resistor
> that goes inside the K3)?
>
> I have asked several guys a know, but the common answer so far is, "I
> think so."  I'd like something a bit more concrete.  :-)
>
> If you have a P3, recently received is better, please RSVP off line.
> Does the P3 come with "the buffer kit?"
>
> Thanks!
> de Doug KR2Q

Re: Question about P3

k6dgw
On 9/17/2011 5:04 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
> Yes, the resistor does appear to come with the current P3 (at least mine
> did, ordered in June 2011 or so).
>
> It actually comes with two resistors: a surface mount one and a through-hole
> one.  Use whichever is easiest for you to install.
>
> --Andrew, NV1B

It also comes with the KXV3 board which you need to get the IF output if
you don't already have it or the transverter interface.  If you have a
later model K3 [I don't know what "later" means, but I have it], you
don't need the resistor.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: Question about P3

Andrew Moore-3
Maybe I spoke too soon -- since I ordered my K3 with a KXV3a, I can't say
for sure whether the resistor came with the K3 or with the KXV3a.

What I do know for a fact is that my K3 kit (s/n 5614), which I ordered at
the same time as a KXV3a, around early July 2011 (not June as I previously
thought), came with the resistor "kit" which I installed.  Arrival date was
early July 2011.  It was the kit version, not factory assembled.

In any event, whether or not yours comes with the gain mod kit, it's simply
a single resistor (13k, 1/8 W) that replaces R8 on the board.  I used the
SMD version so I have the through-hole resistor still available (kit came
with both), which you're welcome to if you can't find one.

--Andrew, NV1B
..

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/17/2011 5:04 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
> > Yes, the resistor does appear to come with the current P3 (at least mine
> > did, ordered in June 2011 or so).
> >
> > It actually comes with two resistors: a surface mount one and a
> through-hole
> > one.  Use whichever is easiest for you to install.
> >
> > --Andrew, NV1B
>
> It also comes with the KXV3 board which you need to get the IF output if
> you don't already have it or the transverter interface.  If you have a
> later model K3 [I don't know what "later" means, but I have it], you
> don't need the resistor.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
> - www.cqp.org

Re: Question about P3

Scott-2
Hmmmm.... according to Elecraft's website regarding mods all new boards
since 2009 have the new resistor already installed.  See link below:

http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm

My K3 kits came with the resistor but I didn't install them because...
well, I received a main rf board that already had the mod/resistor
installed.  I would think an rf board shipped in July 2011 would already
have the mod/resistor installed... according to the above link, but I
could be wrong about that.  At any rate, after my K3 build in which I
didn't install the resistor, I purchased a P3-F, hooked it up and it
worked and still works with no problems.

Scott
KF5MHS

On 9/17/2011 9:25 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:

> Maybe I spoke too soon -- since I ordered my K3 with a KXV3a, I can't say
> for sure whether the resistor came with the K3 or with the KXV3a.
>
> What I do know for a fact is that my K3 kit (s/n 5614), which I ordered at
> the same time as a KXV3a, around early July 2011 (not June as I previously
> thought), came with the resistor "kit" which I installed.  Arrival date was
> early July 2011.  It was the kit version, not factory assembled.
>
> In any event, whether or not yours comes with the gain mod kit, it's simply
> a single resistor (13k, 1/8 W) that replaces R8 on the board.  I used the
> SMD version so I have the through-hole resistor still available (kit came
> with both), which you're welcome to if you can't find one.
>
> --Andrew, NV1B
> ..
>

> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Fred Jensen<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 9/17/2011 5:04 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:
>>> Yes, the resistor does appear to come with the current P3 (at least mine
>>> did, ordered in June 2011 or so).
>>>
>>> It actually comes with two resistors: a surface mount one and a
>> through-hole
>>> one.  Use whichever is easiest for you to install.
>>>
>>> --Andrew, NV1B
>>
>> It also comes with the KXV3 board which you need to get the IF output if
>> you don't already have it or the transverter interface.  If you have a
>> later model K3 [I don't know what "later" means, but I have it], you
>> don't need the resistor.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Fred K6DGW
>> - Northern California Contest Club
>> - CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
>> - www.cqp.org
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Question about P3

Don Wilhelm-4
The resistor is shipped with the KXV3 and with the P3 - those packages
do not know the serial number of your K3 - so the resistor is included
*if* it is needed.  The fact that you received the resistor says nothing
about whether your K3 needs or or not.

If your K3 was ordered well after September 1, 2009 the change has been
included, and the resistor is to be regarded as an extra part for you.

It is those K3s that were ordered close to 09/01/09 that may or may not
have the change, and you must check (or arbitrarily change the
resistor).  Earlier K3s do need the change installed.