Question about the K1 AGC Response time mod

Question about the K1 AGC Response time mod

K7MH
I would like to shorten the AGC response time in the K1.
I see there is a mod of changing C31 on the RF board from 2.2uF to 1.0uF.
I have a 1.0uF tantalum cap and was wondering if there is any problem with replacing the 2.2uF with it since it is not a polarized electrolytic.
Thanks, Mike K7MH

Re: Question about the K1 AGC Response time mod

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

There should be no problem using the tantalum, but do know that it is
also polarized.  Tantalum capacitors installed backwards can explode -
the electrolytics are usually not so severe, they just burst and leak
nasty chemicals all over the board.

On 1/18/2012 5:27 PM, K7MH wrote:
> I would like to shorten the AGC response time in the K1.
> I see there is a mod of changing C31 on the RF board from 2.2uF to 1.0uF.
> I have a 1.0uF tantalum cap and was wondering if there is any problem with
> replacing the 2.2uF with it since it is not a polarized electrolytic.
> Thanks, Mike K7MH

Re: Question about the K1 AGC Response time mod

K7MH
Ok I remember now that it does. It was quite a while ago that I bought it and just hadn't got around to the mod yet. I see now that I look at it that it is marked and the leads are different lengths.
None the less, better to ask first than repair later!
I am snowbound so may as well catch up on some little projects like this.
Thanks, Mike k7MH.