Questions about taking a QRP station on the plane

Questions about taking a QRP station on the plane

Ronald Nutter
I will be doing some travelling and plan on taking a QRP station with
me.  I have a KX3 on order.  With the hassle of dealing with TSA, I dont
think I should have a problem with putting the KX3, a power supply, the
pigtail wifi interface, and a few other things in a Pelican case.  The
antennas is where I will probably run into a problem.  I am looking at a
couple of different antennas but expect that I will have to pack them in
my luggage.  Any thoughts/experiences on this ?

Thanks,
Ron
KA4KYI

Re: Questions about taking a QRP station on the plane

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Ron,

The last time I travelled with a rig, it was an FT-857D.  I was able to put
it and all the cables I needed into my carry-on, which was just my regular
attache/brief case.  I attached a copy of my license to the top of the
rig.  I had the rig and power cable.  I didn't have a power supply because
I was renting a vehicle and driving back home (bizarre business trip - I'll
tell you the gory details off-list if you really want to know).  Anyway,
TSA didn't even give the rig and cabling a second look.  As to antennas,
because this was a trip to one of my company's offices in Metro DC, I just
shipped my antennas, mounts, and other necessaries ahead to one of my
co-workers.  Don't know if that is an option for you or not.

Hope this helps.

73,

--Ian
Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688
HRD v5.x/6.0 Test Team
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Ronald Nutter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I will be doing some travelling and plan on taking a QRP station with
> me.  I have a KX3 on order.  With the hassle of dealing with TSA, I dont
> think I should have a problem with putting the KX3, a power supply, the
> pigtail wifi interface, and a few other things in a Pelican case.  The
> antennas is where I will probably run into a problem.  I am looking at a
> couple of different antennas but expect that I will have to pack them in
> my luggage.  Any thoughts/experiences on this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
> KA4KYI

Re: Questions about taking a QRP station on the plane

va3bxg
I carried on a KX3 (#33) with a MFJ-1899 antenna. From CDN their only concern was that the antenna was not a police  club. On the return trip from the US, not even a blink.

Robert

a 'kosher' ham
Sent from my BlackBerry device

The last time I travelled with a rig, it was an FT-857D.  I was able to put
it and all the cables I needed into my carry-on, which was just my regular
attache/brief case.  I attached a copy of my license to the top of the
rig.  I had the rig and power cable.  I didn't have a power supply because
I was renting a vehicle and driving back home (bizarre business trip - I'll
tell you the gory details off-list if you really want to know).  Anyway,
TSA didn't even give the rig and cabling a second look.  As to antennas,
because this was a trip to one of my company's offices in Metro DC, I just
shipped my antennas, mounts, and other necessaries ahead to one of my
co-workers.  Don't know if that is an option for you or not.

Hope this helps.

73,

--Ian
Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688
HRD v5.x/6.0 Test Team
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Ronald Nutter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I will be doing some travelling and plan on taking a QRP station with
> me.  I have a KX3 on order.  With the hassle of dealing with TSA, I dont
> think I should have a problem with putting the KX3, a power supply, the
> pigtail wifi interface, and a few other things in a Pelican case.  The
> antennas is where I will probably run into a problem.  I am looking at a
> couple of different antennas but expect that I will have to pack them in
> my luggage.  Any thoughts/experiences on this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
> KA4KYI

Re: Questions about taking a QRP station on the plane

k6dgw
On 6/22/2012 10:24 AM, Ronald Nutter wrote:
> I will be doing some travelling and plan on taking a QRP station with
> me.  I have a KX3 on order.  With the hassle of dealing with TSA, I dont
> think I should have a problem with putting the KX3, a power supply, the
> pigtail wifi interface, and a few other things in a Pelican case.  The
> antennas is where I will probably run into a problem.  I am looking at a
> couple of different antennas but expect that I will have to pack them in
> my luggage.  Any thoughts/experiences on this ?

I took my KX1 on a cruise thru the Panama Canal.  I have an MP-1
knockoff that I thought about but didn't take.  The resonator looks a
lot like a pipe bomb on the x-ray, and I didn't think I'd have much
success explaining the theory behind base-loaded short HF antennas to
the TSA folk, they have a hard time understanding the scrap metal buried
in my shoulder.

Whatever you choose to take, include a copy of your license, and an
explanation of what it is.  That's worked for me ... so far.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: Questions about taking a QRP station on the plane

Javier Campos-3
I always travelled to the Carribbean and Latin America with my MP-1, mini tripod and a bunch of radials, coax that were checked in as part of my luggage.

Never a problem.

Only issue I had was in LAX, they always did the swab test on my K2/10 with the built in battery everytime I connected there.

Internationally, never an issue with my stuff nor at MIA, DFW or Houston at customs.

I always carried the radios with me (K2 or the KX1). The rest was checked in.

Javier TI2/NM6E

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 22, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/22/2012 10:24 AM, Ronald Nutter wrote:
>> I will be doing some travelling and plan on taking a QRP station with
>> me.  I have a KX3 on order.  With the hassle of dealing with TSA, I dont
>> think I should have a problem with putting the KX3, a power supply, the
>> pigtail wifi interface, and a few other things in a Pelican case.  The
>> antennas is where I will probably run into a problem.  I am looking at a
>> couple of different antennas but expect that I will have to pack them in
>> my luggage.  Any thoughts/experiences on this ?
>
> I took my KX1 on a cruise thru the Panama Canal.  I have an MP-1
> knockoff that I thought about but didn't take.  The resonator looks a
> lot like a pipe bomb on the x-ray, and I didn't think I'd have much
> success explaining the theory behind base-loaded short HF antennas to
> the TSA folk, they have a hard time understanding the scrap metal buried
> in my shoulder.
>
> Whatever you choose to take, include a copy of your license, and an
> explanation of what it is.  That's worked for me ... so far.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org

Re: Questions about taking a QRP station on the plane

Bill Frantz
I take my radio between SJC and MHT in checked luggage several
times a year with no problems. I occasionally get a TSA note
saying they have inspected the bag. I am usually carrying:

   PSK-20 QRP rig from Small Wonder Labs (a radio with no
external controls)
   A Signalink USB interface
   rig to Signalink and a USB cable
   "Wallwart" style power supply

I used to carry a 20M dipole, but decided to leave one at each
end to avoid extra stuff in my luggage.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV