Quick KX-1 "pahts" question, as they say here in New England...

Quick KX-1 "pahts" question, as they say here in New England...

Pete Spotts
Hey folks,

Just wondering if the coil of red wire for winding toroids has enough
for a rewind of L2 without eating into the supply for the remaining
toroids. I got L2 wound, and it looked good under a magnifier. But
somewhere between tinning and soldering, two windings became overlapped.
Seemed the better part of valor to unsolder and rewind.

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts -- KC1JB
http://www.kc1jb.net (under construction)

Re: Quick KX-1 "pahts" question, as they say here in New England...

Don Wilhelm-4
Peter,

The usual answer to that question is YES - Elecraft *usually* provides
excessive wire length.
If you have any doubts, just look ahead in the manual and pre-cut the
wire for the toroids yet to be wound - then see if you have enough to
re-wind L2.
You could save enough green wire for winding T1 (the only place it is
used) and use green to re-wind L2 if necessary.  Other than convention,
there is no magic to the wire color.

BTW - L2 will likely work just fine with the crossed wires, it is the
number of times through the center of the core that count.  Overlapped
wires do present an aesthetics "problem", so take your pick.