RE: 3 questions

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
1 - Historically Amateurs referred to band by the wavelength, not frequency.
It's caused no end of confusion over the years to newer hams. So 160 meters
is the "top" band meaning the longest wavelength.

It all began when Hams were forced all the way "down" to only 200 meters by
the US Government to keep them off of the "useful" longer wavelengths. Back
then "everyone knew" that no one could get out of their back yards at only
200 meters. 300 to 700 meters were the favored wavelengths for real
communications, with commercial stations capable of huge antennas using much
longer wavelengths yet. Skip propagation and the Heaviside (ionosphere) were
unknown. All communications was thought to be by ground wave.

Putting hams on 200 meters then was thought to be the end of Ham radio; sort
of like limiting Hams to simplex operation at 5 GHz would be today. So Hams
reluctantly hung around 200 meters, with a lot of then hanging closer to 150
meters, certain that they'd never be heard way down at 200 meters, until the
government put it's bureaucratic foot down and started enforcing the rules.

Then, of course, the first inklings of "skip" propagation were discovered
around 200 meters (which is about the top end of the current AM Standard
Broadcast Band in North America) and, for the experimenters among the
fraternity, the rush was on to get "down" to shorter and shorter
wavelengths. While that was happening, the 200 meter (later the 160 meter)
band was the one most commonly used for traffic relays with its more stable
and predictable propagation. After WWII, when the 160 meter band was swamped
with LORAN QRM, that job shifted on "down" to 80 meters.

2 and 3 - I belong to this list, which often has discussions about anything
to do with operating on any band and any mode that an Elecraft rig uses, and
to one other. Since I enjoy tinkering with parts that are supposed to glow
when in operation (tubes) I belong to the glowbugs list at
http://tinyurl.com/2r9y4

Ron AC7AC

Re: 3 questions

Bill Coleman-2

On Jun 7, 2004, at 3:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Question 1:  With 160 meters being the LOWEST band in frequency, why
> is it
> referred to as TOP band?

Top band in meters. Also in manners (generally). Also known as "The
Gentlemen's Band".

> Question 2: If there are more appropriate lists for discussing ham
> radio
> related topics of general interest, what are they?

There's a bunch supported by Contesting.com and QTH.net.

> Question 3: What amateur radio related lists do you yourself value
> belonging
> to?

[hidden email], [hidden email] (charter member). I
also belong to two Heathkit lists and the RFI list, too.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: 3 questions

Sandy W5TVW
"TOP BAND" refers to the highest wavelength band available to the radio
amateur in the USA (at present).

If you have Microsoft "Outlook Express", Goto the View Folders functions and
bring up the "newsgroups" list.  If it is the first time, it will take a while online
to load the list!  Then you can select a search term like "radio" and it will
bring up all the "groups" with that term in its name.  There is a bunch of
them dealing with ham radio etc.  Also you might try looking them up on
qrz.com.  Think they have links to various groups.  Or even try the "Google"
search engine online and it will keep you busy for hours searching for the groups
that deal with what you are interested in.

Old time radio can be found on the "glowbugs" and "boatanchor" groups.
Ditto "specialty" groups like PSK31, etc.

Hope this helps.

73,
Sandy W5TVW