RE: Hexakey

Dudley Chapman
If the Hexkey is the same design as the Mercury paddle, then I second the
endorsement.  I have one of the original Mercury paddles made for me by
Steve, N2DAN, back around 12-15 years ago.  Having done CW since the 60s, I
have used a lot of paddles and I have to say there is nothing like the
Mercury.

I am amazed at the low price of the Hexkey.  I paid around $400 for mine,
but at that time Steve was custom making them in his garage on a
make-to-order basis.  Mine also has the chromed square base.  Since I was
almost exclusively a mobile op, I figured that price was nothing compared to
what many people put into towers and such.  I looked at it more like a
precision musical instrument than a piece of equipment.

Mine has been through an incredible amount of heavy usage.  I used it for
years doing CW mobile.  I even was accepted as a CFO member while using that
thing mobile.  One time my car was stolen out of my driveway and stripped
for parts in the nearby city.  Everything of value was gone but I found my
Mercury under the front passenger seat.  Perhaps it was my call letters
engraved on the paddles that discouraged them from fencing it.

I run mine with contact spacing so thin that you can't even put a piece of
paper between them.  After all this time, the action is getting just a bit
sticky, (based on the contact not releasing, not on feel).  Also, the chrome
surface needs cleaning and some areas are hard to get at with the thing
assembled.  I am very hesitant to take it apart, since I am not much of a
watchmaker/machinist.  When I bought it, Steve told me that the lubrication
on the bearings was something military, designed to not dry out for many
years.  I wonder if anyone here can advise me on what to do.  I don't mind
taking it apart if I have someone to whom I can ask questions.  (Hmmm, I
wonder if I should take it to a watch repairman?).

Anyway, I would recommend the Hexkey to anyone anytime.  At that price, it
can't be beat.  It is a marvelous design.  It is a rugged as a Sherman tank
and as precise as a surgical instrument.

Dudley - WA1X

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:35:20 -0500
From: Michael Babineau <[hidden email]>
Subject: re: [Elecraft] Hexakey?
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email]

Chris Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote :

 >Howdy,

 >I fancy they paddle - but have a BY-1 at home. Is the
 >Hexakey considerably better than a standard Bencher
 >paddle? Tnx es 73, Chris Kf6vci

Boy is it ever!  I have used a BY-2 for almost 24 years.
My Hex key arrived from Elecraft on Chrismas Eve
(thanks guys) and all I can say is WOW. The BY-2 is
going to get put on a shelf for the next 24 years.

This is a precision instrument. It is very heavy and stays
put without any sort of pad under it. As some people have noted
the adjustment screw threading is a tad bit coarse for such
a precision instrument but it appears that this part of the key
uses BY components. It doesn't detract from the key ... it just
means that it takes a little bit longer to get the settings exactly
where you want them, but my guess is that you will never need
to readjust them once they are set to your liking. The actual arm and
bearing mechanism appears to be identical to the Mercury paddles.

I think that Elecraft / Bencher have a real winner with this paddle.
It offers high end performance without the sticker shock or the Mercury
or some of its competitors.

BTW, for anyone willing to part with a lot of money, I noticed that
Morse
Express is now selling the Bencher Mercury paddle as well.

Michael VE3WMB