RE: "Portable antennas" etc.

Sandy W5TVW
Have seen a lot of comments on this thread.
With the K1 and the internal KAT1 tuner , 40-15 meters, I have had
excellent results with 33' lengths of hookup wire, mostly "mil-spec"
#26 gauge stuff.  I use one length for the radiator.  It could be vertical,
"L" shaped or sloping, depending on supports available.  I fully intend
getting soon an MFJ 33' fiberglass telescoping pole to use when no
trees are available.  Normally I use at least two 33' counterpoise
radials laid on ground, sometime four if I have the space and there isn't
a danger of someone tripping on the wires!  ONE radial wire will work,
but two give better performance.  Three to four very slightly improve
things, but for 99% of the time you can get by with only two!  These
are laid out 180 degrees apart preferably.

By carrying multiple lengths of 33', you can make up longer pieces if
you intend using the antenna on 80 meters.  Three lengths (99 feet)
loads very well on 40 and up but gets directional.

Usually one can get by with only one tall support.  Tossing a nylon line over
a branch with a teardrop fishing weight (1 oz.) can get to be tiresome and
difficult on some trees!  (Hint: Paint your weights Florescent Orange so you can
find easier later, if the "throwing line" parts and the weight drops to the ground!)
I think a "portable tree" like the 33' MFJ pole would work much better!
Has anyone investigated what power line crews do with collapsible
"hot sticks" when the tips break off?  They would make great portable "poles"!
73,
Sandy W5TVW