RE: XV144 - another lesson

johnny-52
Hi Dave,

Very pleased that you also share about your experience.  How do you feel
about the XV144 when compared with other V/U all mode transceivers?

When you use your K2 to drive the XV144, do you use the K60XV?  If not,
what is your setting for drive level?

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

From: dave <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Elecraft] XV144 - another lesson
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:20:40 +0930

Hello All,

My XV144 is up and running with my K2 as the driver.  Using the wide 10m
mod
and a few hours with spectrogram I have peaked the bandpass response at the
ends of the 144-146 segment: for satellites (my main interest) and weak
signal.

The biggest problem I had during construction was mounting the PA module.
The
heat spreader was fairly flat but the  module had a curve that gave a 1.6mm
gap in the centre.  No thermal insulator was going to fill that gap.  In
the
end I spent a few quiet hours carefully rubbing the module on a "flat
smooth"
file (with everything I could get earthed for static protection).  The
module
backplate is just plated copper.  Got the gap down so I couldn't see any
light between the module and the heat spreader.

The module survived and warms up the bottom of the case quite well.

73 de David VK5DG