RFI AND/OR LIGHTNING DAMAGE

KM4VX
I note the inadvertent plug in a recent posting on "RFI and washing machines??" for the for the ARRL insurance package for amateur radio equipment. There is no bigger scam in ham radio than the ARRL amateur radio insurance policy. It is over-priced and offers nothing beyond any reasonably priced homeowners' insurance policy. Anyone who buys the ARRL insurance coverage for their ham radio equipment is wasting money. I checked with my insurance carrier, USAA, and they assure me my equipment is covered and there is no need for additional coverage from USAA and certainly no reason to burn money with ARRL. I don't think the ARRL has any understanding of the meaning of "non-commercial" with reference to amateur radio. This is strictly a "buyer beware" world and ripping off hams (generally senior citizens it appears) is fair game I guess.  I like the ARRL, but not their money-making schemes. It's like having Medicare Part A, which is free, and paying for Part B while you also pay for a supplemntal insurance policy. Part B becomes totally redundant if you have supplemental insurance. Ditto for your ham radio equipment. Save your money. You earned it.