RIT Operation Question

Bud Semon N7CW
When I have the RIT on and I press CLR, the RIT is cleared.  So far so good.
When I press CLR again, the original offset reappears.  I would expect that
pressing CLR a second time would just verify the frequency delta is 0.  If I
want to switch between an offset and none, I can turn the RIT on and off.
Is there a feature here that I'm missing?

Thanks and 73, Bud  N7CW

Re: RIT Operation Question

Don Wilhelm-4
Bud,

It works just like the manual states.  "Tap CLR to zero the RIT/XIT
offset.  Tapping it a second time restores the offset." - see the manual
page 22.

While your comment makes some sense, this is the first time I have heard
anyone complain about teh original operation of the CLR control.

Bud Semon N7CW wrote:
> When I have the RIT on and I press CLR, the RIT is cleared.  So far so good.
> When I press CLR again, the original offset reappears.  I would expect that
> pressing CLR a second time would just verify the frequency delta is 0.  If I
> want to switch between an offset and none, I can turn the RIT on and off.
> Is there a feature here that I'm missing?

Re: RIT Operation Question

Brett Howard
It should also be noted that holding clr zero's the offset but adds the
offset to the current VFO freq.

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:04 -0400, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Bud,
>
> It works just like the manual states.  "Tap CLR to zero the RIT/XIT
> offset.  Tapping it a second time restores the offset." - see the manual
> page 22.
>
> While your comment makes some sense, this is the first time I have heard
> anyone complain about teh original operation of the CLR control.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Bud Semon N7CW wrote:
> > When I have the RIT on and I press CLR, the RIT is cleared.  So far so good.
> > When I press CLR again, the original offset reappears.  I would expect that
> > pressing CLR a second time would just verify the frequency delta is 0.  If I
> > want to switch between an offset and none, I can turn the RIT on and off.
> > Is there a feature here that I'm missing?

RE: RIT Operation Question

Bud Semon N7CW
Brett and Don,

I wasn't really complaining - it just didn't make sense to me.  I should
have remembered to RTFM.  Thanks for reminding me.  Now to figure out how to
use that feature to make working DX easier...

73, Bud  N7CW

It should also be noted that holding clr zero's the offset but adds the
offset to the current VFO freq.

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:04 -0400, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Bud,
>
> It works just like the manual states.  "Tap CLR to zero the RIT/XIT
> offset.  Tapping it a second time restores the offset." - see the manual
> page 22.
>
> While your comment makes some sense, this is the first time I have heard
> anyone complain about teh original operation of the CLR control.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Bud Semon N7CW wrote:
> > When I have the RIT on and I press CLR, the RIT is cleared.  So far so
good.
> > When I press CLR again, the original offset reappears.  I would expect
that
> > pressing CLR a second time would just verify the frequency delta is 0.
If I
> > want to switch between an offset and none, I can turn the RIT on and
off.

> > Is there a feature here that I'm missing?

RE: RIT Operation Question

Joe Subich, W4TV-3

> It works just like the manual states.  "Tap CLR to zero the
> RIT/XIT offset.  Tapping it a second time restores the offset."
> - see the manual page 22.

while it works like the manual says, the operation is not
logical.  Clear should always set RIT/XIT to zero - even
if it is already zero. I'm a firm believer in the "least
surprise" philosophy of interface design - operation should
never be a surprise (even to those who don't read the manual)
and restoring a previously cleared RIT/XIT offset with a clear
key is certainly a surprise.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

N2TK
Well, I actually like the toggle feature when trying to work DX split. The
RIT switch is easy access to toggle between the DX's transmit and receive
frequency.
But once the second receiver arrives I won't need this feature as I will be
able to listen to both frequencies at the  same time.

73,
N2TK, Tony
K3 #311

> It works just like the manual states.  "Tap CLR to zero the
> RIT/XIT offset.  Tapping it a second time restores the offset."
> - see the manual page 22.

while it works like the manual says, the operation is not
logical.  Clear should always set RIT/XIT to zero - even
if it is already zero. I'm a firm believer in the "least
surprise" philosophy of interface design - operation should
never be a surprise (even to those who don't read the manual)
and restoring a previously cleared RIT/XIT offset with a clear
key is certainly a surprise.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Either way you have the toggle feature as you can just use the RIT
button instead.  Both ways work.  I'm not partial to either.  Its just
one of those things you get used to.