RS232 connectivity P3/KPA500

KF4VTT
I noticed the P3 and KPA500 both have RS232 interconnection to the
K3.  I wonder if it will it be possible to have all three connected
simultaneously and still have PC RS232 connectivity? ...or would that
even be beneficial?
73,
Doug
KF4VTT
Sent from my iPhone

Re: RS232 connectivity P3/KPA500

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
Note that the KPA500 has them labeled "PC" and "xcvr", and that we
already know that the P3 has a pass-through RS232 connection, so it
appears the configurations are computer to KPA500, then another cable
to the P3(if you have one) then another cable to the K3.

N6TV's photo is good and the labels are readable:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rawilson/2010VisaliaInternationalDXConvention#5461795493258994210

73, doug

Re: RS232 connectivity P3/KPA500

Craig WØLV
I guess the real questions is why it can not be a USB instead of an RS232.  It would seem to me that USB would be much easire for all.

Re: RS232 connectivity P3/KPA500

M0XDF
There are a lot of threads in the archive on that. Basically USB is proprietary and RS232 is not, USB requires specific drivers for the chipset and RS232 does not (therefore there is a licence and cost involved with USB). I've seen more problems with USB over the years than I ever did with RS232.
I'd hate to try to make up USB cables, RS232 is no problem.
I think being able to purchase something like the KUSB (and in my case a mircoHAM too) is the better option.
Also think it would be foolish to switch something like the KPA500 now and require 2 interfaces to a PC.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174

--
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.

On 21 Apr 2010, at 01:34, Craig WØLV wrote:

> I guess the real questions is why it can not be a USB instead of an RS232.
> It would seem to me that USB would be much easire for all.

Re: RS232 connectivity P3/KPA500

KF4VTT
Hi Doug,

I hoped the cables would connect the way you described, but was not sure the serial communications would pass through each device.  Since each auxiliary piece of equipment is labeled with ports for PC and XCVR, which would be the first connected to the PC and which would be connected to the K3.  I'm sure this has been thought out, but since we do not have manuals for the KPA500 and P3, I wanted to check.

73,
Doug
KF4VTT
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote