RX Inhibit -- New feature request?

K7MJG
I love the KX3 and especially the RX I/Q output feature which I run into HDSDR.  I would like to always use the KX3/panadapter as my visibility into the band but occasionally use another 100W rig for transmit. (Until the Elecraft 100W PA is available.)  I would like to be able to use something like ACC2/PTT to disable RX while the other rig is transmitting to prevent damage to the KX3. (Assume separate antennas for the two rigs.)

Further, I'd like to be able to have this RX inhibit feature use a delay similar to the DLY function, because if transmitting CW with the other rig, RX inhibit shouldn't be triggered per dit or dah, but rather have some settling time from the last dit or dah transmitted. (To simplify implementation, it could use the same value as the DLY setting.)

I did my due diligence and could not find such a feature.  If it does exist in some official form, or it can be fashioned in some way using other features, please (gently) point me to them.

73

Mark, KB7HRS
KX3 #1425

Re: RX Inhibit -- New feature request?

Oliver Dröse
Hi Mark,

if using separate antennas as you describe, why don't you simply key the KX3
to TX at the same time you key the other TRX? You could even reduce the
KX3's power to 0 watts. Should be the simplest solution, just share PTT
between both, no need for an firmware option. ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

>I love the KX3 and especially the RX I/Q output feature which I run into
> HDSDR.  I would like to always use the KX3/panadapter as my visibility
> into
> the band but occasionally use another 100W rig for transmit. (Until the
> Elecraft 100W PA is available.)  I would like to be able to use something
> like ACC2/PTT to disable RX while the other rig is transmitting to prevent
> damage to the KX3. (Assume separate antennas for the two rigs.)
>
> Further, I'd like to be able to have this RX inhibit feature use a delay
> similar to the DLY function, because if transmitting CW with the other
> rig,
> RX inhibit shouldn't be triggered per dit or dah, but rather have some
> settling time from the last dit or dah transmitted. (To simplify
> implementation, it could use the same value as the DLY setting.)
>
> I did my due diligence and could not find such a feature.  If it does
> exist
> in some official form, or it can be fashioned in some way using other
> features, please (gently) point me to them.
>
> 73
>
> Mark, KB7HRS
> KX3 #1425

> -----
> E-Mail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
> Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virendatenbank: 2441/5300 - Ausgabedatum:
> 30.09.2012

Re: RX Inhibit -- New feature request?

K7MJG
Olli,

Excellent idea!  I just tried it and it works well.  I think rather than setting the KX3 up for 0.0W transmit, I'll leave that setting alone and turn VOX off.  That way I won't be unnerved by having the TX light illuminate and I'll also have the VOX/no VOX indicator on the screen that I can glance at to verify that the KX3 is safe.  I'll also have to set the MON to 0 to prevent hearing the CW sidetone.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply, Olli.

73,
Mark, KB7HRS