RadCom, Chinese K1?

DaveL  G3TJP
The October 2009 edition of RSGB’s RadCom carries some column inches
entitled “A New Chinese QRP Transceiver” in its regular monthly QRP feature.
K1HAH, John Callaghan, is taking orders for these HB-1A fully built units,
similar to Eleccraft’s KX-1.  Shipment will be direct from China.  They are
fully built and cover 5 – 16MHz CW/SSB Rx and 7, 10 & 14MHz CW Tx at approx.
4W when driven from a mains PSU.    They are designed and manufactured in
China by BD4RG and another ham named Bu Xianzhi.

A UK retailer, Martyn Lynch, is advertising them at approx. £250,
http://www.hamradio.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eham
radio%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fAmateur_Radio%2ehtml
<http://www.hamradio.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eha
mradio%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fAmateur_Radio%2ehtml&WD=hb%2d1a&PN=Am_Handheld
_MyDEL%2ehtml%23a1_213804#a1_213804>
&WD=hb%2d1a&PN=Am_Handheld_MyDEL%2ehtml%23a1_213804#a1_213804 or go to
www.hamradio.co.uk <http://www.hamradio.co.uk/>  and search for HB-1A.

Could this be the Chinese clone of the KX-1, but with SMT?

73  DaveL  G3TJP

Re: RadCom, Chinese K1?

Johnny Siu
Hello David,

The ham radio market in China is something like Japanese market 25 years ago.  While ham population has been declining in most part of the world, the number of ham in China is in fact increasing.

China is just like a world factory and manufacture products from high end to low end.  Of course, you may say that some of them are copy cat.  However, it is a kind of evolution proces like Japan in the 50-60's.

I have no idea about the quality of this Chinese K1 but I would guess its price could be just 1/4 of an Elecraft K1 in China.  Hong Kong is just the southern door of Mainland China. Within one hour travelling distance, we can reach the silicon valley of China, Shenzhen and there are varieties of Electronic products at 1/3 of the US price.

As you may be aware there are now Chinese made V/U handheld at price of 1/3 of the Japanese one.  Initially, the quality of these Chinese H/T is not up to standard but I find them in fact keep on improving.

Back to Elecraft, as we are aware, material costs of K2 and K3 etc should not be great.  All we paid for is the design concept and excellent support service from Elecraft.

I do not try to put myself into the debate of intellectual rights.  The reality is that there are always Chinese products with similar function but at 1/4 or 1/5 of the price.  You may not like it but within a second, you may think about it though you eventually disregard it.

As mentioned before in this reflecter, Li-ion battery in China is now so cheap that it is only 1/5 of the price in US.  I once thought of using them in the KBT2 of my K2.  However, like most of you in this reflector, I have doubt on the quality of these cells and drop my idea.  I do not know how long I would insist on thinking like that because I find the quality of these cells keeps on improving.

73

Johnny VR2XMC
from Hong Kong

________________________________
寄件人﹕ David Lankshear <[hidden email]>
收件人 [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2009/9月/21 (星期一) 8:47:44 PM
主題: [Elecraft] RadCom, Chinese K1?

[...]

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo..yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: Re: RadCom, Chinese K1?

AD6XY
Those of us over 40 might remember cheap Japanese products being where China are now - except China are way ahead of most of the rest of the world already.....

If you want good quality electronics, it probably will come from China. The K1 does not come from China, but I expect many of the components do.

My PC was made in China - fastest I have ever had and cheapest too. My TV came from China (ditto) my mobile phone was made in China. and so on.

If there is an Elecraft in China I wish them every success and I expect Elecraft will too as long as they are not making direct copies.

Mike

Re: RadCom, Chinese K1?

DaveL  G3TJP
Apologies for my post on the above subject.  It has taken around 2 days

to reach the list and has been garbled along the way.  I think the gist of

it can be deduced, though.

Earlier, a message I had sent ONCE appeared for a second time.  The

reflector's gremlins appear to have singled me out for their interference.

73  DaveL  G3TJP

Re: Ren+š RadCom, Chinese K1?

Jim Brown-10
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:37:11 +0800 (HKT), Johnny Siu wrote:

>I do not try to put myself into the debate of intellectual rights

There is no need for a debate about intellectual rights. Stealing is
stealing, and its wrong. Period. A company called Behringer is well
known as a thief of other companies designs (even down to mistakes
on the printed circuit board!). They have been convicted in court of
doing so, and have settled out of court in at least one other case.
The pro audio world avoids them like the plague. If this Chinese K1
is simply another ham's design of a QRP rig, that's fine. If it's a
copy of another company's radio, it's theft, plain and simple.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Re: RadCom, Chinese K1? Think you mean the KX-1

John Harper AE5X
>If there is an Elecraft in China I wish them every success and I expect
Elecraft will too as long as they are not making direct copies.

The form factor is the same but there are significant design differences outlined here:
http://m1kta-qrp.blogspot.com/2009/08/hb-1a-qrp-tcvr.html

John Harper
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

Re: RadCom, Chinese K1?

Johnny Siu
Hello Group,

Again, I only spell out the fact and tell what I see in the China market next to my door.

If you feel it is theft, then it is theft.  I would like to keep myself away from the discussion of intellectual rights in this reflector.  Whether it is necessary to take any legal action against the copy cat, the entire matter will be in the capable hands of Elecraft.

To reiterate, I have seen products in China similar (not identical) to K1 or KX1 at 1/3 to 1/4 of price in US.

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

寄件人﹕ Jim Brown <[hidden email]>
收件人 "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2009/9月/22 (星期二) 1:52:49 AM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] Ren+š RadCom, Chinese K1?