Re: 80m ECN?

Bill_Harris
Has anyone given consideration for  a ECN on 80m some evening?

Carry on

Bill_Harris

> Well ... radio gods just don't seem to favor a path between here and
> wherever Kevin is located.  A number of checkins were strong, but Kevin
> was very (very) weak again on 20, and it took several checkins before I
> could even copy his call.  Noise from all sources was blessedly low
> too.  Needless to say, 4W from my KX1, even into a modest beam, was not
> likely to be heard.  I doubt the K2 would have made any difference,
> since he was equally weak on it.  As soon as Eric/Wayne come up with the
> K2 mod that will take a signal from below the noise and bring it up to
> Q5 copy, I'll buy it!  Might be some quantum electronics thing, however,
> requiring liquid nitrogen for cooling.  40 for ECN has been nil in
> recent weeks.
>
> I'll probably cool it on ECN until closer to the vernal equinox, or
> maybe wait for more sunspots.
>
> 73 and happy new year to all,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> Auburn CA CM98lw

Re: 80m ECN?

Daniel Reynolds-2
Yes - I think Kevin has been seriously considering it. Maybe we just need to
give him a bigger nudge. I'd like to see a 30m net also - and maybe find a
west, central, and eastern NCS.

- Daniel

--- Bill_Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone given consideration for  a ECN on 80m some evening?
>
> Carry on
>
> Bill_Harris

Re: 80m ECN?

Kevin Rock
Now guys!  A loop antenna is in the works.  I hope to get the ladder line
built today.  The main problem is getting the ladder line through the
wall.  My other antennas use coax which routes through the foundation,
into the crawl space, and then up through the floor.  The openings are too
small for the ladder line.  I may just have to drill a couple of holes
through the wall and build the ladder line on both sides of the barrier.
Routing it through the window is simply not an option.  Once that antenna
gets in place I can experiment on 80 with my friends in OK and NM to see
how it propagates.  Then I can try ECN/80.  But first I need to get an
installer built, a white paper written, and a bunch of advertising copy
created so I can market a few software tools.  Priorities?   Hmmmm...  I
think CW is way up there but $$ for food on the table seems to come before
CW.  Pat hasn't shot me yet but she has her alibi all worked out just in
case she needs one ;)
    73,
        Kevin.   KD5ONS