Re: CW Key Suggestions

Ed G-2
Check out Larry's paddles at:
http://n0sa.com/
Beautiful machine work with highly efficient low-mass arms; a real bargain
for the price he charges.  There is also a single-lever version available.
--Ed--

Re: CW Key Suggestions

Phil Hystad-3
These look nice -- does anyone here own one?  I am probably weak on understanding the terminology though.  Does single-lever imply that it is not an iambic squeeze type paddle.  I noticed that the single-lever version appears to have two levers but guessing that these do not offer the Squeeze feature (which by the way I have never really learned to use).

phil, K7PEH

On Jun 25, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Ed G wrote:

> Check out Larry's paddles at:
> http://n0sa.com/
> Beautiful machine work with highly efficient low-mass arms; a real bargain
> for the price he charges.  There is also a single-lever version available.
> --Ed--

Re: CW Key Suggestions

Randy Moore
I have an N0SA SP1, predecessor to the current SP2, both single lever paddles. I love the way it operates and looks. Excellent workmanship! Its really pretty small. Not sure what's different between my SP1 and the newer SP2.  These single lever paddles won't do iambic, which I never could master. The two finger pieces give good spacing for thumb and forefinger, but they are attached to the same lever.

The paddle was a gift from my YF on my 50th anniversary as a ham :-)

73,
Randy, KS4L

On Jun 25, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> These look nice -- does anyone here own one?  I am probably weak on understanding the terminology though.  Does single-lever imply that it is not an iambic squeeze type paddle.  I noticed that the single-lever version appears to have two levers but guessing that these do not offer the Squeeze feature (which by the way I have never really learned to use).
>
> phil, K7PEH
>

> On Jun 25, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Ed G wrote:
>
>> Check out Larry's paddles at:
>> http://n0sa.com/
>> Beautiful machine work with highly efficient low-mass arms; a real bargain
>> for the price he charges.  There is also a single-lever version available.
>> --Ed--

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: CW Key Suggestions

GREG WILSON
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the K8RA paddles...beautiful work and
great price!  I also own a ZN-SLR.  I enjoy them both as well as two old
chrome plated "EL Keys" that still are really nice but can't compete with
either of the aforementioned paddles.  73 de Greg-N4CC

Re: CW Key Suggestions

stan levandowski
I do not own one of these products but perhaps I can help with the
terminology.

An iambic paddle *always* has two levers, each with a separate
fingerpiece.  A non-iambic paddle *always* has a single lever but *may*
sport a dual fingerpiece to increase the spacing between the thumb and
forefinger.  This goes to personal style and usually means the buyer
asked for such a modification (or did it him/herself).

An iambic paddle permits "squeeze" keying -or- the Op can choose to send
non-iambic code with it.  A non-iambic (i.e. "single lever") paddle can
*never* send iambic code.

Some Ops believe that sending non-iambic code with an iambic paddle
leads to more errors because there are two separate contact levers
involved; a non-iambic paddle eliminates one entire lever and its
corresponding contacts.

Ops who were brought up on semi-automatic keys ("bugs") - and who wish
to maintain their "bug fist"- generally prefer single lever paddles and
avoid making the transition to squeeze keying.  Of course, this is a
personal preference and there are Ops who are very capable of switching
between the various keying styles.

The art of CW - becoming proficient, appreciating its history,
understanding its development, building a collection - is a wonderful
subhobby within amateur radio.

Selecting a paddle (or straight key or bug) is very personal "project".
While it's certainly wise to ask questions, read reviews, and peruse the
marketing information, in the end the buyer is the only one who will
know when he or she has found "a winnner."

I have a modest inventory of the "best" keys for "me" and it took me
quite awhile to get there but the journey was an interesting and
enlightening experience all the way.

Never be shy about working with a manufacturer if you feel you need
something beyond what the manufacturer offers.  For example, I once
asked to have an extra heavy base of specific dimension added to an
already substantial base to make the key weigh an astounding number of
pounds.  In another instance, I wanted the fingerpiece style from one
part of the product line to be mounted on a key from another part of the
line.  in a third instance, I felt the supplied carbon fiber fingerpiece
was too thin and asked to have it doubled up.  All these requests were
filled with no problem.  In fact, the manufacturer who doubled up my
carbon fiber fingerpiece thought it was such a good idea that he made it
standard.

Another suggestion is to avoid spending extra money to buy a nameplate
or call sign plate.  If you later decide you want to sell your key in
order to buy something else, that personalized  plate, and the holes
that were drilled in the key to mount it, might not meet with a buyer's
approval.

One line of reasoning says that being a good CW Op really has nothing to
do with the brand names on our keys and paddles, or how much they cost.
On a certain level that is a true statement.

But there *is* great satisfaction in owning and operating high quality,
well-engineered instruments.  Isn't that why we buy Elecraft radios?

73, Stan WB2LQF
www.wb2lqf.com

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> These look nice -- does anyone here own one?  I am probably weak on
> understanding the terminology though.  Does single-lever imply that it
> is not an iambic squeeze type paddle.  I noticed that the single-lever
> version appears to have two levers but guessing that these do not
> offer the Squeeze feature (which by the way I have never really
> learned to use).

Re: CW Key Suggestions

Phil Hystad-3
I have a K8RA paddle.  In fact it was my first paddle and the one that I learned "paddle" on.  But, it has taken a back seat after I got my Begali.  I have it connected to my backup rig, an Icom 756 Pro III, so whenever I fire that up and go CW I am using the K8RA.  The key is engineered with quality but it misses the fine precision design and engineering of the Begali.  But, it is also a keeper.  I am seriously thinking of taking another plunge towards that N0SA key after I learn a little bit more about it.  What is life except for that period of time when you collect toys like finely designed and engineered keys.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Greg wrote:

> I'm surprised no one has mentioned the K8RA paddles...beautiful work and
> great price!  I also own a ZN-SLR.  I enjoy them both as well as two old
> chrome plated "EL Keys" that still are really nice but can't compete with
> either of the aforementioned paddles.  73 de Greg-N4CC

Re: CW Key Suggestions

Phil Hystad-3
So, a question...

With the dual levers of a single lever (non-iambic) SP2 paddle, when you press one paddle, does the opposite paddle move in concert or is it actually disconnected from the lever action of the other paddle.  In other words, do the paddles swing like an old Vibroplex Original (which is also sitting on my desk) or like an iambic although without iambic keying.

phil, K7PEH

On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Randy Moore wrote:

> I have an N0SA SP1, predecessor to the current SP2, both single lever paddles. I love the way it operates and looks. Excellent workmanship! Its really pretty small. Not sure what's different between my SP1 and the newer SP2.  These single lever paddles won't do iambic, which I never could master. The two finger pieces give good spacing for thumb and forefinger, but they are attached to the same lever.
>
> The paddle was a gift from my YF on my 50th anniversary as a ham :-)
>
> 73,
> Randy, KS4L
>

> On Jun 25, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> These look nice -- does anyone here own one?  I am probably weak on understanding the terminology though.  Does single-lever imply that it is not an iambic squeeze type paddle.  I noticed that the single-lever version appears to have two levers but guessing that these do not offer the Squeeze feature (which by the way I have never really learned to use).
>>
>> phil, K7PEH
>>

>> On Jun 25, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Ed G wrote:
>>
>>> Check out Larry's paddles at:
>>> http://n0sa.com/
>>> Beautiful machine work with highly efficient low-mass arms; a real bargain
>>> for the price he charges.  There is also a single-lever version available.
>>> --Ed--

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: CW Key Suggestions

Cookie
The two levers are independent on an iambic paddle so that you can close either contact or both at one time by squeezing.  A Bug, such as the Original has a single lever that allows you to close either contact, but not both at the same time.  With an iambic keyer if you close both contacts it will alternate dits and dahs with the first element determined by which contact closes first.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

With the dual levers of a single lever (non-iambic) SP2 paddle, when you press one paddle, does the opposite paddle move in concert or is it actually disconnected from the lever action of the other paddle.  In other words, do the paddles swing like an old Vibroplex Original (which is also sitting on my desk) or like an iambic although without iambic keying.

phil, K7PEH

On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Randy Moore wrote:

> I have an N0SA SP1, predecessor to the current SP2, both single lever paddles. I love the way it operates and looks. Excellent workmanship! Its really pretty small. Not sure what's different between my SP1 and the newer SP2.  These single lever paddles won't do iambic, which I never could master. The two finger pieces give good spacing for thumb and forefinger, but they are attached to the same lever.
>
> The paddle was a gift from my YF on my 50th anniversary as a ham :-)
>
> 73,
> Randy, KS4L
>

> On Jun 25, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> These look nice -- does anyone here own one?  I am probably weak on understanding the terminology though.  Does single-lever imply that it is not an iambic squeeze type paddle.  I noticed that the single-lever version appears to have two levers but guessing that these do not offer the Squeeze feature (which by the way I have never really learned to use).
>>
>> phil, K7PEH
>>

>> On Jun 25, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Ed G wrote:
>>
>>> Check out Larry's paddles at:
>>> http://n0sa.com/
>>> Beautiful machine work with highly efficient low-mass arms; a real bargain
>>> for the price he charges.  There is also a single-lever version available.
>>> --Ed--

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: CW Key Suggestions

Randy Moore
Phil,

On the SP1/2, there is only one lever, and both finger pieces are
attached to it.  The lever and the two finger pieces move as one.

73,
Randy, KS4L

On 6/26/2012 12:12 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> So, a question...
>
> With the dual levers of a single lever (non-iambic) SP2 paddle, when you press one paddle, does the opposite paddle move in concert or is it actually disconnected from the lever action of the other paddle.  In other words, do the paddles swing like an old Vibroplex Original (which is also sitting on my desk) or like an iambic although without iambic keying.
>
> phil, K7PEH
>

> On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Randy Moore wrote:
>
>> I have an N0SA SP1, predecessor to the current SP2, both single lever paddles. I love the way it operates and looks. Excellent workmanship! Its really pretty small. Not sure what's different between my SP1 and the newer SP2.  These single lever paddles won't do iambic, which I never could master. The two finger pieces give good spacing for thumb and forefinger, but they are attached to the same lever.
>>
>> The paddle was a gift from my YF on my 50th anniversary as a ham :-)
>>
>> 73,
>> Randy, KS4L
>>

>> On Jun 25, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> These look nice -- does anyone here own one?  I am probably weak on understanding the terminology though.  Does single-lever imply that it is not an iambic squeeze type paddle.  I noticed that the single-lever version appears to have two levers but guessing that these do not offer the Squeeze feature (which by the way I have never really learned to use).
>>>
>>> phil, K7PEH

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: CW Key Suggestions - info on N0SA paddles

Rick Johnson-2

I sent Larry an email saying I would like to order the SP2 paddle
His response:

Rick
 Thank you for your interest in my paddles.
I believe my last SP paddle has just been sold. I am waiting to hear back
from the person about the sale.
If he decides not to buy then you can have it.
 I am in the process of retiring so I am selling all the paddles I already
have built. After that I will continue to build on a very limited basis and just
list what I have for sale. No more waiting list and no custom orders. I will
just build for fun.
73's and I will let you know what happens with the SP.
Larry Naumann
n0sa

So I guess the paddles will become difficult to get ahold of now.

73,
Rick W3BI

> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 06:23:00 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Key Suggestions
>
> Phil,
>
> On the SP1/2, there is only one lever, and both finger pieces are
> attached to it.  The lever and the two finger pieces move as one.
>
> 73,
> Randy, KS4L
>
> On 6/26/2012 12:12 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
> > So, a question...
> >
> > With the dual levers of a single lever (non-iambic) SP2 paddle, when you press one paddle, does the opposite paddle move in concert or is it actually disconnected from the lever action of the other paddle.  In other words, do the paddles swing like an old Vibroplex Original (which is also sitting on my desk) or like an iambic although without iambic keying.
> >
> > phil, K7PEH
> >

> > On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:15 PM, Randy Moore wrote:
> >
> >> I have an N0SA SP1, predecessor to the current SP2, both single lever paddles. I love the way it operates and looks. Excellent workmanship! Its really pretty small. Not sure what's different between my SP1 and the newer SP2.  These single lever paddles won't do iambic, which I never could master. The two finger pieces give good spacing for thumb and forefinger, but they are attached to the same lever.
> >>
> >> The paddle was a gift from my YF on my 50th anniversary as a ham :-)
> >>
> >> 73,
> >> Randy, KS4L

Re: CW Key Suggestions - info on N0SA paddles

Greg - AB7R
I hope he gets it.  I have an SP2 from N0SA and love it.

73
Greg
AB7R