Re: Cecil Moore's no-tuner ANT

dw-4
Hey Paul
If one were to put a programmed PIC and some latching-relays together,
one could switch that ladder network from inside the shack! :^]
Wouldn't that be cool!!
Duane

From: "Paul Christensen"

IMO, construction of open-feeder line is worth the effort.  I am using
an
old stash of E.F. Johnson spreader insulators, but effective balanced
line
can be made by using PVC tubing, with the ends sliced to insert soft
copper
wire.

When not wet its a very effective component in my antenna system. I've
been using a 131' center fed Zepp with ladder line and Cecil Moore's
(W5DXP) "non-tuner" for about 10 years and am very pleased with the
results. See http://www.w5dxp.com/notuner.htm for details.

And my vote for the best "all purpose" HF antenna of all time.  Nearly
an
entire book on transmission line theory and antenna radiation behavior
can
be learned just by understanding the mechanics of the W5DXP antenna.

Paul, W9AC
--
 [hidden email]

Re: Cecil Moore's no-tuner ANT

Frank R. Oppedijk
Hi Duane,

I do happen to use Cecil Moore's ladder network and switch it from
inside the shack. I didn't program a PIC but used a third-party
BCD-to-band decoder to decode the K3 band data that's available on
the AUX connector, followed by some diode logic driving the 1' to 16'
relays outside. Works like a charm! I use this ladder network for a
couple of months now.

Just bagged my first VK on 80m Tuesday night, on my low (10m high)
2x24m doublet at first try, so I'm not complaining.

If there's serious interest in it, I can draw up some info on what I
did and make it available publicly.

73,

Frank PA4N

At 00:41 18/03/2009, dw wrote:
>Hey Paul
>If one were to put a programmed PIC and some latching-relays together,
>one could switch that ladder network from inside the shack! :^]
>Wouldn't that be cool!!
>Duane

Re: Cecil Moore's no-tuner ANT

David Cutter
Hello Frank

May I ask what relays you use?  I imagine there are some high voltages under
some conditions.  Do you run high power?

Thanks
David
G3UNA

> I do happen to use Cecil Moore's ladder network and switch it from
> inside the shack. I didn't program a PIC but used a third-party
> BCD-to-band decoder to decode the K3 band data that's available on
> the AUX connector, followed by some diode logic driving the 1' to 16'
> relays outside. Works like a charm! I use this ladder network for a
> couple of months now.
>
> Just bagged my first VK on 80m Tuesday night, on my low (10m high)
> 2x24m doublet at first try, so I'm not complaining.
>
> If there's serious interest in it, I can draw up some info on what I
> did and make it available publicly.
>
> 73,
>
> Frank PA4N
>

> At 00:41 18/03/2009, dw wrote:
>>Hey Paul
>>If one were to put a programmed PIC and some latching-relays together,
>>one could switch that ladder network from inside the shack! :^]
>>Wouldn't that be cool!!
>>Duane

Re: Cecil Moore's no-tuner ANT

Chuck - AE4CW
Frank,

I would be interested in the details on your switching arrangement, including the relays and power level you are using.

Thanks,
Chuck, AE4CW

<quote author="Frank R. Oppedijk">

If there's serious interest in it, I can draw up some info on what I
did and make it available publicly.

73,

Frank PA4N

---