Re: DM780 Crash with Windows Vista

jperelst
For those of you who are having this problem, are any of you running some of the new Netbook class computers?  Generally, these have Intel Atom processors (1.2GHz or so) and are short on memory (typically 1gig).

I've found that a lot of digital software products like DM780, Digipan, MMTTY, etc. tend to crash when running on Netbook class computers.  This tendency is especially strong if you're running RIGblaster or other interfaces that use the internal sound card of the computer.  The problem is computer-related and has nothing to do with which version of Windows is in use.

If that's the case, I've found that adding a second gig of memory will greatly reduce the problem, if not eliminate it.  Also, switching from an interface that uses the internal sound card to one with its own sound card/modem (e.g., SignaLink or a full TNC) will eliminate it entirely.

I've been able to replicate the problem on five different Netbook computers from Acer, HP, and Dell using WinXP, Windows 7, and Windows Vista_sucks plus different RIGblaster models.  In each case, additional memory mostly eliminated the problem and switching to an interface device that does not rely on the internal sound card completely eliminated the problem.

*****

As for the comment about switching to Apple, I got a call over the weekend from my daughter in college begging me to buy her a Dell to replace her Macintosh.  It seems that actually useful software such as statistical analysis software, process design software, and all sorts of business software is only available in the Microsoft world, not in the Mac world.

Jon
KB1QBZ
K2 #06550

Re: DM780 Crash with Windows Vista

lstavenhagen
Interesting, given that math/science applications are where the mac is strongest. And you are aware that even Microsoft writes loads of software for the mac, right? The Office suite has been available on MacOS for a long time, for example.

As for amateur radio software, I too used to think the mac was pretty bereft, but a lot of those holes are getting filled in. Elecraft supports the mac too!

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: DM780 Crash with Windows Vista

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX
Jon,
Hang on with your Apple ... you can run Windows on it. Assuming it's
Intel-based, which is the current production.

I need to run a lot of heavy-duty Windows apps (programming, database)
that aren't available for Snow Leopard. The solution is to run windows
ON the Apple.

Parallels http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ lets you run a
virtual machine (a VM) on the Apple; you install Windows in the VM just
like you would a real piece of PC hardware. You can copy/cut/paste
between Apple and Win applications, run simultaneously (without
rebooting to the other OS).

Parallels runs satisfactorily in my Mac-mini with 2 GB RAM. Doesn't do
well with less. My main machine is a Mac-Pro with 6 GB memory, and it
runs perfectly. Have a PC sitting on the floor beside it, but haven't
even turned it on in months.

Bottom line, keep the Apple, run the Windows apps you need on it.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX (K2-5373, K3-40)
570-321-1516
http://WilcoxEngineering.com
Williamsport, PA 17701

Jon Perelstein wrote:
> <snip>
>
> As for the comment about switching to Apple, I got a call over the weekend from my daughter in college begging me to buy her a Dell to replace her Macintosh.  It seems that actually useful software such as statistical analysis software, process design software, and all sorts of business software is only available in the Microsoft world, not in the Mac world.
>
> Jon
> KB1QBZ
> K2 #06550

Re: DM780 Crash with Windows Vista

Phil Hystad-3
> As for the comment about switching to Apple, I got a call over the weekend from my daughter in college begging me to buy her a Dell to replace her Macintosh.  It seems that actually useful software such as statistical analysis software, process design software, and all sorts of business software is only available in the Microsoft world, not in the Mac world.

I have four Apple Mac's in my house and two Windows laptops (one running Windows 7 and the other running Windows XP).  I also have Linux and Windows (various versions) running under Parallels on my mac computers.  Actually, right now I am taking a break from writing a C# program under Windows 7 (64-bit) which is running on my MacBook Pro laptop under Parallels.

Also, on this Mac and also on my iMac 24 desktop sitting over on my desk, I also run Mathworks MATLAB, and Mathematica, and R.  For those who do not know, these are all considered the top or best of the bread for mathematics and statistics.  R is statistics and graphics and is available for download, FREE, to use on Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows.

In my work, mathematical analysis, along with solving non-linear systems of differential equations and also solving optimization problems (using MIP), is the norm at times.  And every now and then I dirty my fingers in statistical analysis using R although I will use Mathematica or MATLAB first.

There is no lack of mathematical tools available on the Mac and both MATLAB and Mathematica have very nicely priced student versions.

As for process design I am not sure what kind of software that might be as a lot of different things can qualify under that name.  But, my favorite UML design tool is called Enterprise Architect and it is available on Windows only.  I have only used this application under Parallels on my Mac.  Although I have windows laptops I have a tendency to use my Mac almost all the time.  And, there may be all sorts of business software available under Windows but again you can run that on a Mac computer (if Intel that is).

Caveat Lector -- My Mac computers are quite robust with memory, 8 GB each.  I also run Parallels in a 4 GB memory partition and my Parallels virtual systems run lickity-split.  No, I would not want to run Parallels on any Mac with less then 4 GB of RAM and I am not sure how it would run on the slower Macbooks, I have a fast Macbook Pro.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: DM780 Crash with Windows Vista [END of thread]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
This is a bit OT. Let's end this thread ASAP.