Re: JT65 requirements, and a possible external reference-locking option for the KX3

Re: JT65 requirements, and a possible external reference-locking option for the KX3

Edward R Cole
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:17:15 -0700
From: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] JT65 requirements,      and a possible external
         reference-locking option for the KX3
To: Oliver Dr?se <[hidden email]>
Cc: Elecraft <[hidden email]>

"If we took this route, we'd have three categories of KX3 users: (a)
wants the ultimate in stability but doesn't need 2 meters; (b) wants 2
meter coverage and is OK with nominal stability; (c) curses me for
making the KX3 too small :)"

Wayne
-------------------------
No you made the KX3 just the right size.  It is almost the same
dimension as the FT-817 (I used to own).  My portable 10-GHz mw
station, which fits in a Pelican 1520 case, was designed for the
little Yaesu radio and it turns out that the KX3 will fit in the same
space (with a bit different mount).  There is no room for an external
2m transverter but probably could fit a small EXREF unit if in a box
like the XG3 (or such).

I see some other options:
1) internal EXREF and external enclosure for the KX3-2M
2) internal KX3-2M and external enclosure for the EXREF
3) internal EXREF and optional 144 & 432 transverters in a single enclosure.

no curses!  Just a bunch of idea storming!

But I overwhelmingly like the idea of a KX3EXREF.  That brings
performance equal to the K3 w/EXREF.  That will answer a lot of
critics in the mw crowd.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: JT65 requirements, and a possible external reference-locking option for the KX3

Klaus Koppendorfer
Just see the KX3 what it is for
Mobile, small, lightweight and a lot of nice things build in

For any other application buy a K3 with options...

73
Klaus
OE6KYG
KX1 #244