Re: K1-4 Filter Board New Trimmer Caps

Eugene Worth
Vin:

Just assembled K1 #1945 with the K1-4 option. Like you, I had some
questions about the new trimmer caps during assembly. I did my best with
understanding the directions and still installed them backwards ...
consistently though.

The only problem with installing them backwards is that you must use a
ceramic adjustment tool on alignment, or the adjustment tool causes the
frequency adjustment to be flawed.

Now, after having done it backwards, I'll just point you to the errata
sheet. It tells you the shape and which is considered the "flat" end. I
installed them backwards from the Errata sheet ... and don't remember
which now, but the Errata sheet is correct.

Hope this helps.

73,

gene KC0RXY

[hidden email] wrote:
------------------------------

Message: 18
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:42:38 -0500
From: "V Cortina" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Elecraft] K1-4 Filter Board  New Trimmer Caps
To: <[hidden email]>

Perhaps I am reading something wrong here, but...

The new trimmers are correctly identified in the "Manual Errata", and it
mentions they have a different shape from the old ones.  It says the
narrow flattened end of the new ones correspond to the flat side as
shown in the manual's figure1.  So far, so good.  The manual ALSO says
proper insertion is critical so as to keep the rotor terminals at ground
potential.  But when I insert the caps in this orientation, the exact
opposite seems to be true, the pin which is electrically common to the
rotor is NOT at the ground point on the Filter PC Board, the opposite
pin is!

I can't imagine I am misunderstanding what the "narrow, flattened end"
is, although, for the record, both ends are flattened.  But only one is
narrow.

Any ideas guys?  I am bummed that I got exactly ONE part (R1) in before
hitting my first snag.  But, we do it right the first time, right?

Thanks much!

Vin KR2F