Re: K1 with low output on 30,15 meters

Gene-5
Just purchased a K1 from a ham that said that it was work 100%. Right.........Full output on 40 and 20 meters. No output on 30 and 15 meters.  Please help me on this one. Thanks.
73
Gene, N0MQ

Re: K1 with low output on 30,15 meters

Mike Morrow-3
Gene wrote:

>Just purchased a K1 ... Full output on 40 and 20 meters. No output on 30 and 15 meters.

That's a bit odd.  Normally 40/30m will have problems, or 20/15m due to slightly different signal
paths through the filter board for those combos.  With good output on 40m and 20m, that says
that both paths are good.  In addition, 40m is derived from 30m, and 20m from 15m, by trimmer
capacitors that get connected across the 30m and 15m trimmers.

Can you receive anything on 30m and/or 15m?

The MOST LIKELY cause is a bad solder connection between the filter board microcontroller
(pins 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9) and the actuating coil of one or more of the band switch latching relays.
Relay K2, in particular, would cause exactly the condition that you are seeing if it is not getting
a RESET pulse from the microcontroller as you switch to 15m or 30m.  You can verify that this
is the problem if you can still hear in a separate receiver the 20m crystal oscillating (near 22 MHz)
when 15m is selected, and hear the 40m crystal oscillating (near 15 MHz) when 30m is selected.

The 30m crystal should be oscillating (near 18 MHz) or the 15m crystal should be oscillating
(near 29 MHz) when those bands are selected.

Crystal failure could also cause your problem, but it is very unlikely to occur on two bands.  There
have been almost no reports of filter board crystal failure except for 20m crystals.

Mike / KK5F