Re: K2 battery source in UK

Dave, G4AON
I agree Stephen! I only bought the KBT2-X (that's the kit w/o the
battery) and used a 2.3 AH battery as that was the largest capacity I
could find in the UK that would fit (Yuasa from memory, although I am
now on my 2nd battery and can't recall the typle).

What ruins these batteries is being completely discharged, keeping them
fully charged shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect too much from
the battery and replace it from time to time.

73 Dave, G4AON
----------------------
To buy a replacement from Elecraft and then pay for the 1kg battery to be
shipped from CA to the UK is crazy. I'd be grateful for any pointers from
UK readers!

Thanks and 73

Stephen G4SJP

Re: K2 battery source in UK

Stephen  Prior
Hi Dave

There are some Yuasa batteries on eBay at the moment specified as deep
cycle, but I agree that most of these batteries are only designed for
standby use and in most applications will only ever sit on float charge
throughout their working life.

I was just hoping for one with greater capacity than the current offerings!

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 31/01/2009 19:19, "Dave G4AON" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree Stephen! I only bought the KBT2-X (that's the kit w/o the
> battery) and used a 2.3 AH battery as that was the largest capacity I
> could find in the UK that would fit (Yuasa from memory, although I am
> now on my 2nd battery and can't recall the typle).
>
> What ruins these batteries is being completely discharged, keeping them
> fully charged shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect too much from
> the battery and replace it from time to time.
>
> 73 Dave, G4AON
> ----------------------
> To buy a replacement from Elecraft and then pay for the 1kg battery to be
> shipped from CA to the UK is crazy. I'd be grateful for any pointers from
> UK readers!
>
> Thanks and 73
>
> Stephen G4SJP

Re: K2 battery source in UK

Dave, G4AON
Stephen, I can find two other sources of 2.3 AH, see below.

RS Components (http://rswww.com/), part number 537-5450

http://shop.eurobatteries.com/batteries-sealed-lead-acid-c-25_62.html

73 Dave, G4AON

Re: K2 battery source in UK

Guy, K2AV
One thing I have found is that 13.8 to the rear connector does not provide
13.8 to the battery, and it would NOT charge fully.  Some of that is diode
drop and some is drop in the connectors.  I now run that power supply at
14.4 for the K2, K3 and everything else. That puts about 13.9/14.0 on the
battery and that does apparently charge it fully.

73, Guy

>I agree Stephen! I only bought the KBT2-X (that's the kit w/o the
> battery) and used a 2.3 AH battery as that was the largest capacity I
> could find in the UK that would fit (Yuasa from memory, although I am
> now on my 2nd battery and can't recall the typle).
>
> What ruins these batteries is being completely discharged, keeping them
> fully charged shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect too much from
> the battery and replace it from time to time.
>
> 73 Dave, G4AON
> ----------------------
> To buy a replacement from Elecraft and then pay for the 1kg battery to be
> shipped from CA to the UK is crazy. I'd be grateful for any pointers from
> UK readers!
>
> Thanks and 73
>
> Stephen G4SJP

Re: K2 battery source in UK

Stephen  Prior
Hello Guy

Yes, I had the same issue and that's what killed the battery for me.  By the
time I had realised and had increased my psu output voltage to 14.5V,
unfortunately the damage had been done.  Don W3FPR has some info on his
website and has provided a separate charging input socket for his K2 and I
might do just that.

Thanks for the reply

73 Stephen

On 31/01/2009 19:48, "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I have found is that 13.8 to the rear connector does not provide
> 13.8 to the battery, and it would NOT charge fully.  Some of that is diode
> drop and some is drop in the connectors.  I now run that power supply at
> 14.4 for the K2, K3 and everything else. That puts about 13.9/14.0 on the
> battery and that does apparently charge it fully.
>
> 73, Guy

Re: K2 battery source in UK

Julian, G4ILO

Stephen Prior wrote
Hello Guy

Yes, I had the same issue and that's what killed the battery for me.  By the
time I had realised and had increased my psu output voltage to 14.5V,
unfortunately the damage had been done.  Don W3FPR has some info on his
website and has provided a separate charging input socket for his K2 and I
might do just that.
I bought my battery from Maplin.co.uk. They specify the dimensions so it should be easy enough to work out which one will fit.

Incidentally my battery is still the original one that I fitted in 1999. I don't know how to test it's condition, but it holds at 11.8V on receive for longer than I could be bothered waiting.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: K2 battery source in UK

AD6XY
I think several suppliers do suitable batteries. It is important they don't leak.

I find my K2 battery to be quite heavy for packing on trips abroad. Since the time the K2 battery was designed, possibly better options have become available. Lithium Ion (with appropriate charging) NiMH. It should not be too hard to fit a 2AH NiMH pack for example, but Lithium Ion notebook packs might be the way forward. It is something I intend to look into doing some time.

Mike

Julian, G4ILO wrote
Stephen Prior wrote
Hello Guy

Yes, I had the same issue and that's what killed the battery for me.  By the
time I had realised and had increased my psu output voltage to 14.5V,
unfortunately the damage had been done.  Don W3FPR has some info on his
website and has provided a separate charging input socket for his K2 and I
might do just that.
I bought my battery from Maplin.co.uk. They specify the dimensions so it should be easy enough to work out which one will fit.

Incidentally my battery is still the original one that I fitted in 1999. I don't know how to test it's condition, but it holds at 11.8V on receive for longer than I could be bothered waiting.

Re: K2 battery source in UK

Julian, G4ILO
Well of course it's a question of convenience. It's neater and more
compact to have the battery inside the K2. Also a major advantage of
the battery for me is that it weights the K2 down on the desktop so it
doesn't slide away when I push a button. However the main use it has
had is when I forgot to turn the power supply on! I like the idea of
operating /P but I dislike cold, wind and rain and that's what the
weather is like most of the time here, so I have never taken advantage
of the K2's portability. :(

Although an external battery could provide more capacity, the K2's
battery has greater capacity than the one in an FT-817 and the K2
draws much less power than an 817, especially on receive. It has more
than enough capacity for a couple of hours operating. One should just
take care not to run it down below a certain voltage, that's all.

I made no special charging arrangements for mine, just connected the
radio to a PSU adjusted to 14.2V.

Julian, G4ILO
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com